Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

General chat in WarZones

02.18.2013 , 02:09 AM | #1
Hi all,

So we're in 2013 but I can't find reliable info about the general chat in warzones : is it really cross-faction ? On all servers or are there specific conditions (like PvP servers only or players in WZ must be PvP flagged) ?

Because what I could find was :
- back at launch, general chat was cross faction
- some WZ prevented same faction fight (civil war)

What I observed (joined the game in jan 2013) :
- there is a bug that prevent some players to use the /ops channel, thus they are forced to use general chat, but when seeing someone using the General Chat that is not in my team, a quick /who command on his name always display a same faction player.
- during low population encounters, population count for the current warzone only displays 8 people (your team), even when fighting the same faction, which make me think that the opposite(s) team(s) are not considered.
- being an imp, I tried to chat with some republic folks, asking for their gears, or sometimes a little provocation, but no one answered.

If someone could give me any solid information, maybe a dev comment or a patch changelog, that would be appreciated !

02.18.2013 , 02:54 AM | #2
General chat - [1] - is faction only as far as I know, /s - say is crossfaction.

02.18.2013 , 10:46 AM | #3
A few things to note:

- when a player can't post in ops chat and has to resort to general chat they need to refresh their UI. CTRL U twice usually does the trick.

- Chat is never cross server, but posting in general chat while in a WZ, all players on your server whom are in a PVP instance can read it.

- If you want to speak to players of the opposite faction you need to use /say or /yell. I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe all opposing faction players in any WZ instance can read /say. But that's the only way to communicate with players from opposing factions.

EDIT: so bottom line it's always best to use ops chat in WZ's especially for calls and/or tactics. If one of your teammates is using general chat for calls, suggest to them that their UI is messed and they should hit CTRL-U twice to fix the problem. If you did use /say to ask an opposing player a question they may not have wanted to respond, especially if they were in the heat of battle or busy with something.

02.20.2013 , 02:04 PM | #4
A few minutes ago, playing my sniper, an opposing imperial spoke to us using general chat on Ancient Hypergate.

02.20.2013 , 07:16 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by honorinator View Post
A few minutes ago, playing my sniper, an opposing imperial spoke to us using general chat on Ancient Hypergate.
Still same faction. However, Pub V imp requires /say or /yell to cross communicate.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.