Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What class for novice at tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What class for novice at tanking?

RendValor
02.18.2013 , 03:04 PM | #11
the advantage of playing a PT tank is that you have to pay less attention to your attacks/rotation, which leaves you free to pay more attention to your surroundings/teammates/fight itself, which is IMO more important than refreshing a buff every 12 secs (Assassins) or being fully focused on making an inhuman effort to hold aggro (Jugg)
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

MGNMTTRN
02.18.2013 , 04:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
No, you will *not* be stacking Endurance, not if you want anyone to take you seriously as a tank. Endurance stacking on *any* tank is bad, especially the VG because they get *absolutely no benefit* out of Endurance other than a larger hp pool (Guardians get bigger Enure and Shadows get bigger self heals so there is *some* excuse for it; VGs get nothing).
Vanguards absolutely do get a benefit from having more endurance. Adrenaline Rush: 15% HP over 10 seconds, 2 minute cooldown in tank spec. Each extra point of End gives 10 HP, 15% of which is 1.5 HP. If you're tanking endgame content you should have a +1% healing received bonus from taking a healer companion's story line to completion, which gets you 1.515 heals/1 point of End/2 minutes.

Kitru
02.18.2013 , 04:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MGNMTTRN View Post
Vanguards absolutely do get a benefit from having more endurance. Adrenaline Rush: 15% HP over 10 seconds, 2 minute cooldown in tank spec. Each extra point of End gives 10 HP, 15% of which is 1.5 HP. If you're tanking endgame content you should have a +1% healing received bonus from taking a healer companion's story line to completion, which gets you 1.515 heals/1 point of End/2 minutes.
~.0126 hp/sec is so little it might as well be *nothing*. To get 1 hp/sec, assuming you're using Adrenaline Rush on CD, requires 79 Endurance. The gains from Endurance for VGs are *so absolutely minute* that using Endurance to improve your actual survivability would be like using Accuracy to increase your DPS: yes, it will do *something*, but it's so little you're never going to notice.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

RendValor
02.18.2013 , 08:12 PM | #14
Like I said in a previous post, competent tanks use DPS armorings/hilt/barrel and a pair of power crystals
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Marb
02.18.2013 , 11:07 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Like I said in a previous post, competent tanks use DPS armorings/hilt/barrel and a pair of power crystals
I'm not sure what your definition of competent is, because if your not gearing for the content your doing, thats pretty dumb. You could get away with that in 8man hardmodes, but I would be very skeptical of the viability of a 21k health tank in anything harder.
Harbinger

Kitru
02.19.2013 , 01:52 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
I would be very skeptical of the viability of a 21k health tank in anything harder.
I've absolutely minimized the hp on my Shadow, and I've got 25k hp, buffed and stimmed, which is more than enough to run anything except for 16m NiM EC (wherein you'd want to trade in some of those Resolve armorings for Force Wielder to push yourself up to 26-27k hp). A VG that does the same (unlettered mods, Reflex armoring and barrels, high shield enhs, etc.) will come out with 23.7k hp; to pull yourself up to the magic 25k mark, you can just swap out the crystals for Endurance crystals (pulls you up to 24.5k) and potentially a few armorings (if being within 500 of the 25k mark isn't enough).

Pretty much any tank that isn't running around in Rakata gear is going to have in excess of 23k hp, especially if they're actually stimmed like they're supposed to.
My New Class Idea

Marb
02.19.2013 , 04:34 AM | #17
I suppose I'm not taking issue with fitting in as much main stat possible and still being within the 25k window. Its just the blanket statement that all tanks should use low endurance everything, and if you don't your incompetent.

Its a shame that the jugg is limited in this regard, as they would have the most to gain out of stacking as much main stat as possible. I've always wondered if endure pain is designed to make up for the fact that juggs don't have a +endurance skill, or if it's just an oversight.

Does good use of endure pain offset a lower health pool to mean that juggs don't have to abide by the 25k health threshold?
Harbinger

Kitru
02.19.2013 , 04:51 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
I suppose I'm not taking issue with fitting in as much main stat possible and still being within the 25k window. Its just the blanket statement that all tanks should use low endurance everything, and if you don't your incompetent.
The issue is that you don't need to stack Endurance *in any appreciable sense* in order to reach the magical 25k threshold: as I've pointed out, you can get there using an absolute *minimum* of Endurance specific gear (2 crystals and 3-4 armorings/hilts/enh/mods). Anyone that goes *beyond* that baseline level of Endurance isn't likely to be a particularly effective tank; either that or they're trying to make up for bad healers that require a larger reaction time cushion.

Quote:
Does good use of endure pain offset a lower health pool to mean that juggs don't have to abide by the 25k health threshold?
The mechanical reasons that you want 25k hp are due to consistent, high incoming damage phases and potential burst damage scenarios that occur in relatively rapid succession (once every 20 seconds or so). As such, Enure wouldn't really make up for it because you're only getting the benefit of it for 10/15 seconds every 90 seconds. While Enure would cover you for the first time you need the hp cushion, it wouldn't be up for the second or likely third.
My New Class Idea

WaldoA
02.19.2013 , 04:58 AM | #19
Assassins/Shadows are the best tanks in my opinion as they can constantly pull healing and actually do some decent damage as a tank, though they aren't very good at tanking till level 50 due to not much gear having good tank stats and then you're basically left with light armour.

slafko
02.19.2013 , 05:41 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAnias View Post
I have only tanked a small amount on WoW(literally like 25 levels) and I would like to make a tank here. I was wondering which class would be the easiest to learn and be a blast at endgame. Btw I have been playing since early access but just haven't made a tank yet lol. Any advice would be appreciated!
Tanking with a Shadow is like turning the autopilot on. It's also the most fun of all tanks - you get stealth and a soft cc. To make things even easier, your mdps companion can wear your dps gear. And she's hot.

Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
A competent Shadow tank does not need dps output to generate threat and hold aggro. Even though your additional dps will help, it will help by such a small amount you're better off having a larger health pool. If your team is hitting enrage, that's not the problem of your dps as tank. Also, your higher health combined with the fact that you're not losing aggro (if you're competent, that is) allows your healer to throw out some of his rdps.