Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What class for novice at tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What class for novice at tanking?

DarthAnias
02.17.2013 , 06:43 AM | #1
I have only tanked a small amount on WoW(literally like 25 levels) and I would like to make a tank here. I was wondering which class would be the easiest to learn and be a blast at endgame. Btw I have been playing since early access but just haven't made a tank yet lol. Any advice would be appreciated!

Kitru
02.17.2013 , 12:08 PM | #2
The easiest to play is, most assuredly, VG/PT: it's got a super simple priority/rotation and the fewest buttons to click, by far, of all of the tanks; the only even remotely complex thing about VG tanking is ammo management, which can be summed up as "don't drop below 8".

In addition, it's the easiest to level because it relies the most on armor (so it relies less on actual tank stats) and starts off with excellent AoE capability (which makes it way easier to hold aggro right from the start, which is one of the problems with running as a Shadow or Guardian).

The only problem you *might* have is that VGs are often reviled by players that simply get *bored* playing them at 50 because they are just *so. freakin'. simple.* However, if you're looking to learn, there's no better class to let you focus on actually learning tanking, as well as actually focusing on learning the relevant fights.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

DarthAnias
02.17.2013 , 12:23 PM | #3
That's great because I was kinda hoping to make a BH soon and a PT tank would be awesome! And they get a healer companion from the start

Are they viable for pvp? Guarding healers, protecting objectives, and stuff like that? I plan to do just about everything but PVE will be the main focus once I hit 50.

Gyronamics
02.17.2013 , 01:08 PM | #4
VG tanks may annoy you later when you realise that you have travel delay on your taunts which the other two tanks do not (VG taunts are missiles (as in a launched object) not an instant effect).
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Kitru
02.17.2013 , 02:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthAnias View Post
Are they viable for pvp?
VG/PT tanks are the worst PvP tanks mainly because the simplicity that makes them easy to learn also means that they don't have the same toolbox that the other tanks get. Of course, if you just want to PvP rather than specifically PvP *tank*, Assault VG/Pyro PTs are *disgustingly* good PvP DPS thanks to their ridiculous burst damage.
My New Class Idea

DarthAnias
02.17.2013 , 04:22 PM | #6
Well I guess I can always just respec for pvp or just wing it. As a tank I will be stacking endurance at endgame but what stat should be my second priority? Absorb? Defense?

Kitru
02.17.2013 , 04:31 PM | #7
As a tank I will be stacking endurance at endgame but what stat should be my second priority? Absorb? Defense?
No, you will *not* be stacking Endurance, not if you want anyone to take you seriously as a tank. Endurance stacking on *any* tank is bad, especially the VG because they get *absolutely no benefit* out of Endurance other than a larger hp pool (Guardians get bigger Enure and Shadows get bigger self heals so there is *some* excuse for it; VGs get nothing).

As a VG, your best stats to stack are Shield (you want as much as you can get your hands on) and Absorb. You still want a substantial token quantity of Defense, but nowhere near enough to describe as "stacking" it. Until you start looking at BH/Camp/DG gear, it matters more that you're getting *better* gear than how you explicitly optimize it, so don't make a big deal of it while you're leveling or just starting end game content. When you do get to the point where optimization matters, this thread is incredibly useful at telling you what ratio you need to maintain between your relevant tank stats.

Also, it should be mentioned that, as a VG tank, Accuracy is a thoroughly *wasted* stat (this applies to all tanks, but it bears mentioning since VG tanks get the absolute least out of it): the only attacks you use that benefit from Accuracy, *in the least*, are Hammer Shot and High Impact Bolt, neither of which is going to be a substantial portion of your total DPS or TPS. As such, it's, for all intents and purposes, a waste of itemization.
My New Class Idea

DarthAnias
02.17.2013 , 05:05 PM | #8
I see, well I will definitely not do what I was thinking lol. Didn't realize that endurance was so useless.

NotRonin
02.18.2013 , 01:02 AM | #9
I see, well I will definitely not do what I was thinking lol. Didn't realize that endurance was so useless.
Endurance is not 'useless', but you don't need to go out of your way to get it. On the flip side, don't replace all your armoring with high aim/low end ones either.

Kitru
02.18.2013 , 01:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NotRonin View Post
Endurance is not 'useless', but you don't need to go out of your way to get it. On the flip side, don't replace all your armoring with high aim/low end ones either.
I swap out all of my armorings for high main stat/low End and I've never had problems. In fact, the massive amount of main stat makes me simply disgustingly effective at threat generation and DPS output (for a tank). I do it for all of my tanks when I can. The only reason I would use the high End armorings is if I absolutely needed them in order to get to the magical 25k hp needed for BiS 8m.
My New Class Idea