Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

the answer to balance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
the answer to balance

Arkillon
02.17.2013 , 02:38 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
Not on someone with 1300 expertise there aren't. Only Smash.

And while props to the OP for making constructive suggestions, boosting everyone's health would make PvP worse. Classes that do smaller damage, or burst damage, would be stuffed. Stuffed-er.

I hit regular 6.5k's with maul on my assassin against max epertise. Against pve heroes I did a 8.4k maul though
Railshot can hit that hard, too. Warzone buff with bloodthirst \o/. But yeah, there's not as much as 8 abilities... I can think of maul, railshot and maybe ambush

Polymerize
02.17.2013 , 02:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkillon View Post
I hit regular 6.5k's with maul on my assassin against max epertise. Against pve heroes I did a 8.4k maul though
Railshot can hit that hard, too. Warzone buff with bloodthirst \o/. But yeah, there's not as much as 8 abilities... I can think of maul, railshot and maybe ambush
Lol.

You have 6.5k mauls regularly against max expertise? Seriously, did you just say regularly? Regularly enough to compare it to the consistency of 'smash'? Lul.

You would have to have bloodthirst + the dps boost on the maps in order to hit that hard. And I'm pretty sure you don't have those regularly. Just because you hit that number once every 15 games doesn't mean anything.

*I have not read this thread, just read this guy's comment so I'm not posting with regard to anything in this thread other than his single comment.

Arkillon
02.17.2013 , 02:58 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Polymerize View Post
Lol.

You have 6.5k mauls regularly against max expertise? Seriously, did you just say regularly? Regularly enough to compare it to the consistency of 'smash'? Lul.

You would have to have bloodthirst + the dps boost on the maps in order to hit that hard. And I'm pretty sure you don't have those regularly. Just because you hit that number once every 15 games doesn't mean anything.

*I have not read this thread, just read this guy's comment so I'm not posting with regard to anything in this thread other than his single comment.

/sigh

Regularly as in at least 3 times in a warzone, in every warzone, every day. My maul is ~2-3k WITHOUT a crit, i'll let you calculate the rest.

Wait no. Add 78% surge and 30% crit strike damage

I'll let you calculate what I'd do with bloodthirst and dps boost. I'm comparing to smash as in it can hit over 5k on max expertise without a problem (considering the target doesn't have heavy armor, as maul is mitigated by armor rating).

In response to the ******** comments, I'm pretty sure you don't know much about assassins to say that I hit it once every 15 games. Again, it's against people with 1.3k expertise that I hit 6.5k against. AGAIN, armor rating mitigates it.

Arlanon
02.17.2013 , 03:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Polymerize
Lol.

On my Assassin alt, with a combination of strafing and mouseturning, I can constantly spam Maul on anyone I attack.

"Behind the target" simply means "Off to the side, kind of". Yes, Maul can be used "regularly".

Polymerize
02.17.2013 , 03:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlanon View Post
On my Assassin alt, with a combination of strafing and mouseturning, I can constantly spam Maul on anyone I attack.

"Behind the target" simply means "Off to the side, kind of". Yes, Maul can be used "regularly".
Derp? Obviously it can be used regularly. Reread what I've written.

I'm stating it does not hit for 6k regularly. Not often at all actually; almost never to be precise.

You will hit 5k mauls on sorcs. That is about it. If you have proof of anything otherwise I'd be glad to take a look.

And 'proof' and not mean a single shot of you hitting 6.5k on someone. Proof as in a full length video and you doing it 'regularly'.

Arkillon
02.17.2013 , 03:07 PM | #26
78% surge, 1055 power, 1842 willpower.
spec: 4/15/22 or 0/14/27 or 0/13/28 on an assassin/shadow.

Against a sage, I hit for past 6k all the time. Ok I lied. 90% of the time. PVE gear makes me hit for past 7k all the time on sorcerers, though.

I'll try to download fraps or hypercam or something just for you

Arlanon
02.17.2013 , 03:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Polymerize
Derp? Obviously it can be used regularly. Reread what I've written.
if i actually read the threads on the pvp forums, my brain would melt and i would become a pug

Polymerize
02.17.2013 , 03:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkillon View Post
78% surge, 1055 power, 1842 willpower.
spec: 4/15/22 or 0/14/27 or 0/13/28 on an assassin/shadow.

Against a sage, I hit for past 6k all the time. Ok I lied. 90% of the time. PVE gear makes me hit for past 7k all the time on sorcerers, though.

I'll try to download fraps or hypercam or something just for you
Ah, so you've hedged all of your stats towards hitting the biggest number possible/chosen the spec that will make your maul hit the hardest. Tell me, how effective are those specs? I've played them all and I find them to be subpar at best. I concede that you probably do hit 6k with those specs and stats ( you have absolutely no crit rating ). I will also have to say that those specs suck for everything except getting a high hit. I would never run those stats/specs, not helpful to the team imo.

Also judging by the fact that you throw in "i hit even harder when i wear my PVE gear lol" you're clearly tunnel-visioned on damage which is bad.

Putting all of your eggs into one basket ( trying to get the biggest hit ) does not make you effective in the slightest! Just saying. Makes you become very one-dimensional.

Arkillon
02.17.2013 , 03:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Polymerize View Post
Ah, so you've hedged all of your stats towards hitting the biggest number possible/chosen the spec that will make your maul hit the hardest. Tell me, how effective are those specs? I've played them all and I find them to be subpar at best. I concede that you probably do hit 6k with those specs and stats ( you have absolutely no crit rating ). I will also have to say that those specs suck for everything except getting a high hit. I would never run those stats/specs, not helpful to the team imo.

Also judging by the fact that you throw in "i hit even harder when i wear my PVE gear lol" you're clearly tunnel-visioned on damage which is bad.

Putting all of your eggs into one basket ( trying to get the biggest hit ) does not make you effective in the slightest! Just saying. Makes you become very one-dimensional.

I really don't know what personal grudge you hold against me, but let me clarify.

My stats are these: 1842 power, 30.17% melee crit, 1214 expertise, ~19.6k hp, 78% surge, 1055 power with willpower augments.

If you have at least ONE brain cell and played this game in the 50 pvp brackets, you know that 1055 power clearly isn't top. I'm also not at max epertise, and NOWHERE have I stated I wear PVE gear. I said I hit even harder on people that wear it. Please take a deep breath, and read what I'm saying.

The spec I run has good defensive cooldowns (blackout) increased regen in stealth, dots, long range damage (death field), instant whirlwind, increased melee damage. Overall I'm better than full deception for capping a node as whirlwind gives me 8 seconds instead of the 6 second stealth sap. I also get 25% reduction from blackout, and can spike a ******** of damage with maul, and have good dots (crushing darkness instacast) with a lot of force regen. I haven't (nor have I even said it) put all my points towards highest maul damage, as yes, that wouldn't be the best idea. How effective are they? Usually top of leaderboards with highest medals, coming from the ~400-500k damage in every warzone, 20k+ protection just using taunts and high objective points.

30% crit rating, buffed, seems to be totally fine for whatever spec I run, yet again that is an opinion. No, I haven't put all points towards highest damage, hence my crit and surge and power (30%, 78% and 1055). Also have 6.34% accuracy, so again... Not towards damage. Not helpful to a team? From what you're saying, any dps spec is "not helpful to a team". I use taunts no matter what my spec is, guard when I have my tank spec and usually go for solo capping nodes with whirlwind. I run premades most of the time (oh no) and I'm a team player.

With that optimization and spec, 0/14/27, (I usually run 31/2/8, 0/27/14, 0/14/27) I can achieve high melee damage (thrash hitting for 1.5-1.7k per hit) and again, good dots (crushing darkness hitting for 2k+ with a crit). I don't see how it's a bad spec, it's just more complex than just spamming discharge/shock/maul with 0/27/14 or full deception.

Edit: I won't run 0/14/27 against a team of players wearing heavy armor, as they mitigate white damage. But for the critical rating comment, +9% crit to melee damage helps in the lightning tree. Force crit, from what I recall, is at 29.88% or something. Now, I hope you'll take the time to read and understand, as I'm explaining politely.

Raansu
02.17.2013 , 03:58 PM | #30
lol @ the people who still think the warzone buffs on the field increase damage when they changed that ages ago to only increase defense.