Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvE: Powertech or Merc?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PvE: Powertech or Merc?

Grues
02.16.2013 , 02:09 AM | #1
Only for PvE, i am not a big fan of PvP in this game. I like killing bosses and supporting the team, also looking into maybe a Sniper imperial agent as well.

I am playing as a Level 20 PT atm and seem to be losing to alot of Mercs near my level. I have pretty good equipment and am Specing into the Pyro tree.

Any tips or suggestions?

Nomaad
02.16.2013 , 05:44 AM | #2
"2 is better than one"

Roll merc, we are so much better.

Master_Hitsugaya
02.16.2013 , 03:26 PM | #3
I am kind of interested in this to as someone who is about to chose their advanced spec. And was curious on what was good for pve. And what were the reasons for it.

lordnortamos
02.16.2013 , 07:04 PM | #4
Merc, a load of dps that isn't useful in PVP anymore. They're one of the top if not THE top class in PVE damage at the moment.
Favorite Star Wars quotes:
1. Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger right now!!!
2. HK-47: Dammit master I am an assassination droid not a dictionary!

Grues
02.16.2013 , 09:52 PM | #5
Really? i would of expected alot more powertech talk.

I played alongside a MERC on some heroics was a bit jealous of their dps.. so might re-roll since i just bought subscription.

JCotharn
02.16.2013 , 10:04 PM | #6
Since you are asking about these 2+ the IA im assuming you want to do dps. If that is the case go PT, they do better DPS (when specd pyro) however they are more melee with a few ranged abilities where as a merc is straight range. Also just learn the class a little bit more, a PT that has even a little experience should never lose to a merc. Lastly I really would suggest rolling a sniper if you are into dps, there is not a better single target dps class than a sniper, you can take people down in about 5-6 secs no problem. I will add that they are all fun and viable for endgame PVE so roll what you enjoy most.

Strainge
02.16.2013 , 10:22 PM | #7
I rolled a Merc as my 1st character. Really fun. But their survivability is horrible. You would think not because of their range and heavy armor, but my marauder is so much more versatile in so many situations. There's merit to every advance class. As long as you're having fun with it then it's the right pick

ScytheEleven
02.16.2013 , 10:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by lordnortamos View Post
Merc, a load of dps that isn't useful in PVP anymore. They're one of the top if not THE top class in PVE damage at the moment.
Nope, wrong. Sorry buddy, but nothing is beating out a BiS Sentinel/Marauder right now.

Here's the thing about PT vs Merc DPS: PT Pyro is higher, but Merc brings a little bit more utility (CC, a cleanse) to a raid group.

Mercs will disagree with me completely, but you frequently see parses from PT Pyro's hitting over 2k DPS and laughing while they do it. Mercs can hit like a truck, but not as much as their PT counterparts can at the moment.

caveslug
02.17.2013 , 03:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by lordnortamos View Post
If by merc you mean sniper, marauder or powertech then yes.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P

PUMA
02.17.2013 , 04:35 PM | #10
I have both of them. I prefer my Mercenary because I find it more enjoyable (iconic also) than my Powertech. To each his own on this one.

As far as damage goes the top DPS per class is:

Marauder
Powertech
Sniper
Merc / Sorc
Assassin / juggernaut
Operative

They are all within a couple hundred DPS from each other. At least for my guild, which are all in full 63's and know their class / priority.

I prefer my merc because of the utility. We've got CC, off healing, less damage received (usually), and of course the armor debuff to the rest of the raid. Slower ramp up time for DPS than PT.

Powertechs have high burst DPS, instant casts with great mobility, and can taunt off for certain mechanics like Firebrand.

Ultimately it comes down to play style like most will tell you. Melee or Ranged?
Descension - The Bastion
Lowkee - The Rinou Legacy
Guild Website || Join Us