Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I miss the days when MMOs were wonderous...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I miss the days when MMOs were wonderous...

DarkSaberMaster
02.18.2013 , 10:45 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I played through the NGE but have never seen that quote. That is horrible.
Yep. She made that statement when the NGE was pushed forward to explain why they did the NGE. And that was just part of it. It also went on to say that people didn't want to be the Uncle Owen nobody and that they wanted to be the Luke Skywalker hero. Well. At least speaking for myself and the people I was in guild with, we were happy being the Uncle Owen nobody making our way through the galaxy. If I wanted to be the special, one of a kind saves the world hero who catches bullets with his teeth, I would have played KOTOR instead of SWG.

And you know what's funny? This game is all about making you that "special" hero/villian. But look at how many people walk around with the Barsenthor title. Or the Bounty Hunter "Republics Most Wanted" title. Everybody is supposed to be the special snowflake here, yet nobody is because we all have the same story/backgorund.
Daage: (Serenity Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
Durenzo: (Ruffian Scoundrel) The Harbinger
Referral link for free stuff

smellmop
02.18.2013 , 10:56 AM | #112
off topic a bit, but I remember the first time I played Civilization....couldn't get enough of it, would fall asleep and have dreams about different units and strategies and all kinds of craziness.
I still have a floppy disk of a game save that has the entire globe terraformed and railroaded and a trade network of caravans bringing in billions of gold every turn.

mmo that captured my attention and wonder for a bit was SWG. Played beta and up to NGE with a group of rl friends.
Was into computer science when that game was out and had lots of fun creating complicated macros and chat threads for my toons and vendors.
-Tarro Blood -> Corellian Run -> The Shadowlands-
Gunslinger: Hasenbensoba Vanguard: Ajmurphy; Scoundrel: Obi'haave; Sorcerer: Impossibreu Guardian: Shrėk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=labL_KAD2rk

RazerCannon
02.18.2013 , 10:56 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkSaberMaster View Post
If I wanted to be the special, one of a kind saves the world hero who catches bullets with his teeth, I would have played KOTOR instead of SWG.
LoL! I WANTED to play Kotor 3, but they wouldn't sell it to me; they sold me this instead. So here I am.

EDIT: I guess what happened was that BW/EA wanted to make a game that would draw in the numbers of KotoR fans, but get us to pay the $15/month of the MMO crowd so they could financially compete with ActiBlizzard. Instead, they got this...situation.

AlienEyeTX
02.18.2013 , 11:09 AM | #114
Man, this thread brings back some memories. I played EQ for a while and that was such an amazing experience. It seemed like there was so much to explore. I would wander through all the different zones trying to see what they looked like, sometimes just trying to survive until the next zone! It was awesome. I had to keep a pad with coordinates and reminders written down. There was plenty to do and I really didn't feel like I had to rush to end game to enjoy every bit that I was doing. Corpse runs got the adrenaline pumping and XP penalty was maddening if you were just about to ding and mobbed by a train that someone accidentally pulled. Running for the border when you got in trouble was such a rush, too.

I also played SWG when it first came out and I played for about 6-8 months. That was fun and different because it was Star Wars and I could build a house and put useless stuff in it. I could go to a mission terminal and pick up whatever I wanted. It was great, but I stopped playing before JTL, so don't know how much better it really got. One thing I did appreciate was waypoints, though.

The thing about both games was the sense of wonder. The mystery. The ability to go exploring. Those were the things that I appreciated. The unknown is underrated anymore. I like the surprises. I also like that every character was different in what they had and what they did.

Good times.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Eillack
02.18.2013 , 11:29 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
Man, this thread brings back some memories. I played EQ for a while and that was such an amazing experience. It seemed like there was so much to explore. I would wander through all the different zones trying to see what they looked like, sometimes just trying to survive until the next zone! It was awesome. I had to keep a pad with coordinates and reminders written down. There was plenty to do and I really didn't feel like I had to rush to end game to enjoy every bit that I was doing. Corpse runs got the adrenaline pumping and XP penalty was maddening if you were just about to ding and mobbed by a train that someone accidentally pulled. Running for the border when you got in trouble was such a rush, too.

I also played SWG when it first came out and I played for about 6-8 months. That was fun and different because it was Star Wars and I could build a house and put useless stuff in it. I could go to a mission terminal and pick up whatever I wanted. It was great, but I stopped playing before JTL, so don't know how much better it really got. One thing I did appreciate was waypoints, though.

The thing about both games was the sense of wonder. The mystery. The ability to go exploring. Those were the things that I appreciated. The unknown is underrated anymore. I like the surprises. I also like that every character was different in what they had and what they did.

Good times.
You really missed an amazing thing.

Image an X-Wing Alliance 2.0 ...amazing battles and near the end of SWG's run introduced low-atmospheric flight. Restuss had ground troops are dog fights above...miss that so much.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

AlienEyeTX
02.18.2013 , 11:35 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
You really missed an amazing thing.

Image an X-Wing Alliance 2.0 ...amazing battles and near the end of SWG's run introduced low-atmospheric flight. Restuss had ground troops are dog fights above...miss that so much.
Yeah, I'll regret that just a little bit. At least we have TOR now. And that's really not a bad thing.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Jableson
02.18.2013 , 11:44 AM | #117
I did not have time to read this entire thred (stupid job!), so i apologize in advance if i repeat something.

Our first exposure to MMO's was something that we had never seen. Massive world that was open ended and multi-player was something that we could only immagine about before that.

I have wondered what the future of the genre will be because i do agree that you will never capture the same initial amazement that we had 10-15years ago in just another MMO. Ive started to think that the future may be something like MUDs but in a 3D world. Users pay a small fee to support servers and "testers", but for the most part the content is entirely user created.

Most of us from the initial MMO's are growing up, getting older, and learning skills that could seriously be beneficial to this genre.

TheNegotiator
02.18.2013 , 12:32 PM | #118
I think Nancy McIntyre's comment from the NGE says it all for why we have the MMO's that we have now. This really conveys the feelings of developers nowadays of what they think the MMO players of today want.

"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base ... There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game ... We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."
Thanks for that info. She worked for Lucas Arts not SOE if anybody wants to know. SOE says the NGE was the worst mistake they ever made, and it looks like they had little choice in the matter. For people who did not play SWG, 60% of subscribers cancelled their account when NGE was forced on them.

CosmicKat
02.18.2013 , 01:05 PM | #119
As far as the "niche product" argument goes...

MMO's are a niche product!

They always have been and probably always will be. The pandering to the mainstream audience is the root of all that ails the MMO industry. They keep watering down the product for an audience that has no interest in it, or at best, a fleeting interest. They have trivialized the hardore MMO fan to the point where there aren't a whole lot of hardcore MMO fans left. This would not be a terrible thing (for developers) if that hardcore audience had been replaced by another audience, but it hasn't.

What developers today are doing is destroying their proven market for the slim chance at reaching a mass market audience. Even WoW, with its grossly over-inflated subscriber numbers, has a tiny tiny fraction of the gaming market. Gaming is pretty niche to begin with, and MMO's are one of the smallest sub-categories of the industry. Fact is, if WoW were a TV show, it would be quickly cancelled with the audience it has and WoW has a much bigger audience than any other MMO. The only thing that saves the MMO industry from complete irrelevance is the continued revenue stream that subscriptions provide, and now they are throwing that out the window as well. Subscription-based gaming is becoming obsolete not because people don't want to pay a subscription, but because the product they are selling is inferior in quality and quantity to what we were used to paying for. Well, the quality of the production is very good, but the quality of the games are weak. They are pale imitations of 20 year old games with shiney new wrapping but otherwise, none come close to matching the ambition or scope of the first/second generation MMO's. The "quantity" of playtime offered by modern MMO's is even inferior to most solo RPG's.

TheBBP
02.18.2013 , 09:21 PM | #120
Yep. She made that statement when the NGE was pushed forward to explain why they did the NGE. And that was just part of it. It also went on to say that people didn't want to be the Uncle Owen nobody and that they wanted to be the Luke Skywalker hero. Well. At least speaking for myself and the people I was in guild with, we were happy being the Uncle Owen nobody making our way through the galaxy. If I wanted to be the special, one of a kind saves the world hero who catches bullets with his teeth, I would have played KOTOR instead of SWG.

And you know what's funny? This game is all about making you that "special" hero/villian. But look at how many people walk around with the Barsenthor title. Or the Bounty Hunter "Republics Most Wanted" title. Everybody is supposed to be the special snowflake here, yet nobody is because we all have the same story/backgorund.
My favorite roles to play when I RP are the Average Joes. My favorite character in SWG was my Rodian. He ran a refurbished ship part shop on Tatooine. He was nothing spectacular. I played him a salvage expert. He would sell raw loot as well as pre-RE'd ship parts. He never even took part in the GCW.

I think that might be what is missing for me here. I don't want to be another hero. I just want to play my role. I am not interested in being a venerable Jedi Master or the best Trooper the galaxy has seen. I just want to be a trader and/or courier.

I guess I am more of in a need for a sandbox. This game could add some sandbox to it and it would be incredible.