Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pve assault, should I use AP?

CJNJ
02.15.2013 , 12:23 AM | #1
Hello, just been wondering if as running assault spec in pve should I be specing unto AP? Been seeing posts recently on people not using AP in pve.

Any clarification would be much appriciated!

OlosBC
02.15.2013 , 01:38 AM | #2
For PvE its better to fill out the lower tiers in shield and tactics.

7/6/28 and 8/6/27 are the most common I see. I usually switch between them based on whether the fight has a big burn phase sub-30% or not. (Though I often just don't bother switching, there's not a huge difference that I can tell.

For PvP, you still want AP for dat burst.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

Keypek
02.15.2013 , 09:41 AM | #3
As above said CJ. Personally a big fan of the 8/6/27 lately.

A basic pvp spec with leftover points to spend. Have tried non-AP but just can't pass up watching people explode in fiery burst. Then most differences are between wanting some steely resolve/intimidation over demolition and blaster augs. Also, some like nightvision scope over paraliactic combat stims but with as much stun and knockdowns that are in the game I enjoy the extra energy. But I switch those two around a lot. Also some arguments over reflexive shield or adrenaline rush for pvp but personally like having the shield quicker then a free attack in pvp. Makes the reactive shield up most times you are leaving a spawn area.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands
FREE play time and loot by clicking>>

PanzerJagdhund
02.15.2013 , 11:38 AM | #4
I typically switch between 8/6/27 (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsZfG0bdGhr.2) and 8/8/25 (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsMZfG0bdGhM.2). It just depends on what I feel like doing. The 8/6/27 is nice for the perks from Adren Fuel and is "safer". The 8/8/25 is increased dps with the extra damage to Ion pulse, and is the one I generally use.
<Redemption> (Republic) on The Shadowlands
Totenhelfen - Assault Mando Totenkrieger - Assault Vanguard
Focus/Vig Guardian - Sharpshooter Slinger - Scrapper Scoundrel
Proud Alpha tester of the Parsec Combat Parser for SWTOR

Davionix
02.15.2013 , 12:08 PM | #5
There used to be debates about AP before as well. Even though builds that skipped it showed higher dps results it used to provide utility as in being able to still do some dmg even when out of 10m range.

However after the silly nerf to range on AP and IM due to PvP concerns there is no "mobility" reason to take it in a build over other lower tier skills at other 2 skill trees as mentioned on above posts.

Depending on your preference,playstyle and boss encounter spending on the last few points between blaster augs, frontline offense,adrenaline fueled and burnout has its advantages and disadvantages.

While adrenaline fueled makes ammo management a bit more easier if you can manage your ammo well it can be better to drop it in favour of other options.

Extra damage on ion pulse and extra tech crit rate from blaster augs is always there where as effects of burnout do not come out until target is at execute range ( below %30). However some fights that require bosses to be burned down quickly ( The Writhing Horror, Kephess The Undying, Terror From Beyond 2nd phase ) towards the end of the encounter so its up to you to decide

They're on our left,right,in front of us,behind us..they can't get away this time.

FlavaBizkit
02.20.2013 , 04:43 PM | #6
i run 8/5/28 on my vanguard in assault spec
Modus Operandi
Drooly | Sentinel Rishy | Vanguard Dennik | Scoundrel
Underpowered Powertech Rehabilitated |Juggernaut Fatedd | Mercenary