Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 01:07 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
SithKoriandr please address my post, why do darksiders exist if there's not more power to be gained in dark? (since they only do it for more power)
As someone said, it's quicker. Instant gratification. Lack of patience. Look at Anakin in the movies. He wanted the power NOW. So he gave into the dark side, because he didn't want to wait because he didn't think there was time.

And even though the game gives you the option to dismantle it (because people don't want their characters to 1) look ugly 2) be changed by how they envision them), notice how all dark siders become corrupted by the dark side? SI story shows you exactly what being all about the dark side can do to you, and you see it in Chapter 1.

And there isn't a way to stop that (that isn't a game mechanic).

Mind you, this is going by the LORE. TOR however puts game mechanics in the way of lore (like lightsabers are weak!) so in game, Lightside and Darkside are the same, and really, being neutral is the same (because it would seem players whined).
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Spartanik
02.22.2013 , 01:16 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
The main reason light side triumps as it is good vr`s evil story line and light sider have weight of number`s
it tak few light sider to be beat a dark side
That wasnt always the case. And light prevail all the same.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

legolegion
02.22.2013 , 01:30 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Spartanik View Post
That wasnt always the case. And light prevail all the same.
It does for that reason, also in the end it good vrs evil story and all them good always win`s in the end.
Though due to amount of jedi, it takes to take sith or fallen jedi down who master it.
Would suggest they are more powerfull, in the way of dealing death and distruction.
Find one eu or canon char who was the master darkside, where one jedi took him out.
emporer palptine does not count, as he was taken out by fallen jedi.
Also darth vader took him by supprise, which was his down fall.

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 01:38 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
It does for that reason, also in the end it good vrs evil story and all them good always win`s in the end.
Though due to amount of jedi, it takes to take sith or fallen jedi down who master it.
Would suggest they are more powerfull, in the way of dealing death and distruction.
Find one eu or canon char who was the master darkside, where one jedi took him out.
emporer palptine does not count, as he was taken out by fallen jedi.
Also darth vader took him by supprise, which was his down fall.
Kenobi beat Anakin in one on one.

Kenobi beat Maul in one on one (though I'm sure someone will say Qui Gon tired Maul out )

Anakin beat Darth Forgot His Name as Senator Palpatine watched in one on one (and Anakin hadn't fallen yet).

Vader beat Kenobi on the death star, but Kenobi not only gave up and basically threw the fight, but was old and basically hadn't fought in years.

Luke beat Vader on the second death star before he stopped just before the kill shot.

Windu was beating Palpatine before Anakin showed up.

Where exactly is all this "Sith beat Jedi's, unless Jedi's use more numbers?"

I'd say it's much more, Sith make everyone a fighter. Jedi not only have fighters, but scholars with some decent fighting skills. Not on par with a fighting focused Jedi/Sith, but enough to take on a battalion of troopers.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 01:41 AM | #45
As individual, the Dark Side is stronger, the Dark Side allow you to use all the aggressive moves such as Force Crush, Force Lightning and Force Crush, the Light Side allow to use choke and crush sometimes but it's very limited.

And Dark Sider's first goal is to increase their own power and could use all the immoral methods, Light Sider put quite a few things before that and certainly no immoral methods to increase the power.

Not sure about Sadow's time, I don't think any Jedi was stronger than him.
Exar Kun is stronger than any Jedi in that time, that plant master could not move after turned into a tree.
Sith Emperor is also more powerful than KOTOR1 and 2's individuals. The Exile could beat Nihilus only because she's special agiainst Nihilus's ability.
Sidious is more powerful than any PT Jedi in that time, he staged the fight against Windu and in the novel blasted Yoda off.

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 01:47 AM | #46
Quote:
Kenobi beat Anakin in one on one.
That's due to Anakin had not been able to master the Dark Side yet. In OT Vader cut Obi Wan down.

Quote:
Kenobi beat Maul in one on one (though I'm sure someone will say Qui Gon tired Maul out )
Maul was caught off guard, before that the padawan Obi Wan was no way close to him.

Quote:
Anakin beat Darth Forgot His Name as Senator Palpatine watched in one on one (and Anakin hadn't fallen yet).
Read the novel, Anakin won because Dooku spent too much energy on Obi Wan, and Anakin was using his fury and anger, which is the Dark Side to beat Dooku.

Quote:
Vader beat Kenobi on the death star, but Kenobi not only gave up and basically threw the fight, but was old and basically hadn't fought in years.
Dooku was older in PT but he still owned Obi Wan.

Quote:
Luke beat Vader on the second death star before he stopped just before the kill shot.
That's similar to Anakin VS Dooku, anger and hate brought Luke such power, he was very close to totally fall to the Dark Side.

Quote:
Windu was beating Palpatine before Anakin showed up.
Sidious staged that fight.

Actually both Anakin VS Dooku and Luke VS Vader's case showed the power of the Dark Side.

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 02:29 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
That's due to Anakin had not been able to master the Dark Side yet. In OT Vader cut Obi Wan down.

Maul was caught off guard, before that the padawan Obi Wan was no way close to him.

Read the novel, Anakin won because Dooku spent too much energy on Obi Wan, and Anakin was using his fury and anger, which is the Dark Side to beat Dooku.

Dooku was older in PT but he still owned Obi Wan.

That's similar to Anakin VS Dooku, anger and hate brought Luke such power, he was very close to totally fall to the Dark Side.

Sidious staged that fight.

Actually both Anakin VS Dooku and Luke VS Vader's case showed the power of the Dark Side.
Staged that fight? Windu had him beat.

As for Luke and Anakin using anger and hate, true, but their opponents were still way more powerful in the dark side. So light sider (which Luke was) who did a dark side action, beat the dark side 5 Vader.

Kaedusz
02.22.2013 , 02:50 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Because in SW lore, it's already been said Lightside is more powerful than darkside. What was it in Episode 4 or 5 that it was said, and pretty much made canon from that?

In Empire Strikes Back,Yoda says that the dark side isn't more power powerful.He didn't say the light side is more powerful.Also i wouldn't take a jedi's opinion of the dark side for granted.

I don't think it was oficially stated by some1, Lucas included,but i may be wrong- that the light side is officially more powerful.

If anywhere,anytime it was said that the light is more powerful it is surely influenced by media and popular pressure.The good must always win in fiction.

*The light side is not more powerful than the dark side.*

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 11:41 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Staged that fight? Windu had him beat.

As for Luke and Anakin using anger and hate, true, but their opponents were still way more powerful in the dark side. So light sider (which Luke was) who did a dark side action, beat the dark side 5 Vader.
Yeah, he was luring Anakin to the Dark Side.

No, Dooku and Vader master the Dark Side better, but Anakin and Luke got more potential and the outburst gave them huge power, in the book Dooku was able to stop Anakin's rampage but Sidious helped Anakin to master his anger.

TalonVII
02.22.2013 , 12:21 PM | #50
IMO neither side of the Force is greater than the other. They are simply two sides, polar opposites of each other.

There are merely DANGEROUS PEOPLE who use those sides of the Force to it's maximum potential.

Is good greater than evil? No. Cause without evil what is good?

So no, neither side is greater than the other gamewise or lorewise. Instead there are just powerful PEOPLE.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler