Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

zerodyingtolive
02.18.2013 , 05:06 AM | #21
I tend to go along in the moment, when something happens to my character that I don't like or that he/her doesn't seem to like, I tend to react more bluntly. Just like in real life, I guess. I don't really think about going Dark- or Light side, it just happens. The fact that my Sith Juggernaut is Dark and my Trooper Vanguard Light is.. by chance, haha.

Kalrenan
02.18.2013 , 07:12 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Unibek View Post
Isn't one of the greatest weaknesses of the Dark Side the fact that they react on emotion which clouds vision? A great example of this is when Darth Malgus murdered his Twi'lek slave/lover Eleena Daru (the one who accompanied him into the Jedi Temple as seen in the opening movies for SWTOR) after the Sacking of Coruscant. Proclaiming that she, because he had feelings for her, was his greatest weakness? Coincidentally after she was spared by a Jedi.

I would argue that being able to control emotion would make you far more powerful than those who thrive on it.
I think here's one pivotal point on why the dark side of the Force feels -in my opinion- stronger than the light side: it's easy to get controlled by your emotions. It's true in real life, it's true in the Star Wars universe. And while darksiders would usually tell you that they have the power, what I see most of the times is that the power has them.

Even the Sith Emperor is controlled by emotions. In his case, fear of the death. All he does points towards achieving inmortality of his soul. And thousands of years later, Palpatine fell on the same, his fear of death. Compare that to Darth Bane; he was prepared to die at the hands of Darth Zannah, and in that maybe he was not as dark as he thought he was (well, he was still a mass murderer with the whole thought bomb at Ruusan).
Kalrenan Starstrider, Jedi Knight.

"There is no death, there is the Force."
- The Jedi Code

legolegion
02.18.2013 , 03:33 PM | #23
Isn't one of the greatest weaknesses of the Dark Side the fact that they react on emotion which clouds vision? A great example of this is when Darth Malgus murdered his Twi'lek slave/lover Eleena Daru (the one who accompanied him into the Jedi Temple as seen in the opening movies for SWTOR) after the Sacking of Coruscant. Proclaiming that she, because he had feelings for her, was his greatest weakness? Coincidentally after she was spared by a Jedi.

I would argue that being able to control emotion would make you far more powerful than those who thrive on it.
No the reason the jedi control their emotion`s is explained in episode 1, when yoda interveiw`s anakin and say`s why he should not be trained as emointion`s lead to darkside. It has nothing to do with strength, how ever ever noticed how many jedi it takes to take down a sith or a dark jedi

JLazarillo
02.18.2013 , 04:02 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalrenan View Post
Even the Sith Emperor is controlled by emotions. In his case, fear of the death. All he does points towards achieving inmortality of his soul. And thousands of years later, Palpatine fell on the same, his fear of death. Compare that to Darth Bane; he was prepared to die at the hands of Darth Zannah, and in that maybe he was not as dark as he thought he was (well, he was still a mass murderer with the whole thought bomb at Ruusan).
And the Jedi, in turn are also ruled by fear: a fear of their own emotions. They act out their rites, repeat their mantras, but in the end, they still spend their lives fearing. Sith fear the world around them. Jedi fear themselves. But ultimately, both sides are hypocrites who are controlled by their emotion.

Spartanik
02.18.2013 , 05:40 PM | #25
I dont think the dark side is stronger by any means. All i see is huge weakness that one can exploit. Arrogance, self confidence, leading to lack of perspective. In often the case when one folows exclusevly his emotions.
I think the light side of the force is stronger in the sense that gives you power without compromising who you realy are, it can take longer, but evidence sugests light always triunf over darkness. Always. It can take time, but wil always prevails. EU and G canon shows this. The will of the force as always the final word.
You cant fight city hall after all.

Quote:
And the Jedi, in turn are also ruled by fear: a fear of their own emotions. They act out their rites, repeat their mantras, but in the end, they still spend their lives fearing. Sith fear the world around them. Jedi fear themselves. But ultimately, both sides are hypocrites who are controlled by their emotion.
The diference of the jedi is when they are one with the force, in full comunion with it, they dont have anything to fear.
If fact they teach you to not fear the dark side. Because you know where fear leads. They might be living in fear of falling, but its not what they teach and what they strive for, and i belive great many jedi faced his fears and were able to live past that fear.
while the sith is the oposite they embrace it. And live for it because it can give them power.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

DarthWalt
02.18.2013 , 05:56 PM | #26
Its because like it or not if your Pub Your light side if your Sith Your dark. Yes I understand you can make LS or DS choices but they really have little or no over effect on your story infact you are basicly forced into the same end result of many LS DS choices.

It comes down to a matter of how bad do you wana tick off your comps with your choices and making things harder for grinding affection.

Kaedusz
02.18.2013 , 11:37 PM | #27
If emotion clouds vision,then the sith is a newly initiated and inexperienced acolyte.The best Dark Lords use emotions to fuel the dark side,which in turn fuels emotion and it goes on,but this process does not spiral out of control.An exemplary sith is not a phychopath ,he is master of his emotions,he uses and channels them,he is not slave to them.
Malgus killing Eleena Daru has nothing to do with emotions clouding judgement.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Book_of_Anger

''However, Palpatine knew anger was a two-edged sword. He therefore mentioned the importance of a fine intelligence standing watch over anger''

legolegion
02.19.2013 , 01:42 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Spartanik View Post
I dont think the dark side is stronger by any means. All i see is huge weakness that one can exploit. Arrogance, self confidence, leading to lack of perspective. In often the case when one folows exclusevly his emotions.
I think the light side of the force is stronger in the sense that gives you power without compromising who you realy are, it can take longer, but evidence sugests light always triunf over darkness. Always. It can take time, but wil always prevails. EU and G canon shows this. The will of the force as always the final word.
You cant fight city hall after all.
The main reason light side triumps as it is good vr`s evil story line and light sider have weight of number`s
it tak few light sider to be beat a dark side

SithKoriandr
02.19.2013 , 06:42 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
They are equally powerful from star wars esoteric pov.

However due to the nature of the dark side and also the training regimes of dark siders its easier to find a powerful dark sider,than a powerful lightsiders.
Also dark side powers are more focused on expressing that power visibly so a very powerful sith sorcerer can overcome and defeat equal jedi master,just because jedi powers are focused in different direction.

Weak sith and darksiders in general can't survive the training to become full-fledged sith and die.So you don't see mediocre sith.

The most contributing factor is the force affinity of the given individual and also his conviction in the part of the force he uses.Not the dark side or the light side per se.

Also would like to point out that an exemplary Sith Lord have somewhat better knowledge of the force because they are not afraid of the light side ,they just choose not to use it or something like that.While jedi are too dogmatic to delve into all force mysteries because of fear of dark side corruption.

Conclusion:
It can be said that Sith delve deeper into force mysteries in general and get corrupted by it,while jedi stay save with clear conscience but restrict themselves to what they can achieve with the force.A conclusion that can be drawn is that any force user can be jedi,while only the strongest can be sith.This of course doens't mean that there aren't awesome powerful jedi,it just means that a big number of the jedi order would be too weak to become sith or survive a sith training.Also if the best of the jedi order somewhat became sith and started using all the force including the dark side to its full potency,they would become more powerful than they were while being jedi.But in the usual case that won't happen cus as said above strong conviction is needed.
Will have to disagree with the Sith not being afraid of the Dark Side, as TOR shows Sith being afraid of anything that shows "Oh hey, the lightside isn't that bad, see."

As for the question at hand, I recall SW lore being that the lightside was infact more powerful, but also much harder to stay the course. While I don't think the Jedi's rules as a group as presented in TOR makes for a very good guide to staying on the lightside, and more a guide to how to stay the mediators of warring fractions/defenders against tyranny as a full time job.

But, while Lightside is more powerful, is much harder to maintain. Darkside is easier, and while not as powerful is still very powerful.

If 100 is the top level of power. Think of Lightside as 100 and Darkside as 98. Not a big difference in power, and you can get to 98 darkside power level faster than you can get to a 98 lightside power level.

I'd also say it shaves off more than just a couple of years of training. And Sith are still "human" and having that power, they want their powerbase NOW, not wait for it. Humanoids have a tendency to want to enjoy what they can now, not wait till they're older.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Ventessel
02.21.2013 , 10:37 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Will have to disagree with the Sith not being afraid of the Dark Side, as TOR shows Sith being afraid of anything that shows "Oh hey, the lightside isn't that bad, see."

As for the question at hand, I recall SW lore being that the lightside was infact more powerful, but also much harder to stay the course. While I don't think the Jedi's rules as a group as presented in TOR makes for a very good guide to staying on the lightside, and more a guide to how to stay the mediators of warring fractions/defenders against tyranny as a full time job.

But, while Lightside is more powerful, is much harder to maintain. Darkside is easier, and while not as powerful is still very powerful.
Seems to have pretty much hit the nail on the head. The darkside tends to focus on aggressive combat training and so will produce more people who are better fighters (on average) while the light side focuses on internal mastery, meditation, etc. Initially, the lightside doesn't have a heavy focus on fighting, but eventually when that internal discipline is applied to combat training, you get very capable fighters.

Down the road, that darkside is concerned with manipulation and betrayal, and constantly watching your back. This seems to limit their growth in the end, while lightsiders can usually study in peace, and even teach other lightsiders without fear of being killed with their own techniques. So at the end of the road, there will be a few extremely powerful darksiders, but many more lightsiders who are very polished and strong.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell