Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Eliminate Backfill

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Please Eliminate Backfill
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AngelofCain
02.15.2013 , 01:48 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
sigh. I know this. that just means you don't get anymore valor or comms based on medals. however, just having those 8 medals does NOT mean you've maxed your comms for the WZ. that's my point. how are the other comms earned?
good question. perhaps it's dependent on the quality of medals earned? That is a better question that the numbers earned.
Hallow, gron, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

foxmob
02.15.2013 , 02:57 PM | #42
just thought I'd throw this in here to prove my point about that 1 medal being virtually worthless:
Quote:
Completing some achievements during a Warzone, will award you with medals. The first 8 Medals are now worth 250 Valor and 5 Commendations each. Players earn Valor and Commendations only for the first 8 Medals (2000 Valor / 40 Commendations in total).
this is from the sticky at the top of the pvp section.

only the first 8 medals add to the commendations total. you only get 5 comms for each of those 8 medals. it's possible to get 140 comms. that's 100 comms more than medals alone can garner. I'll assume some of that is for wins and for speed/margin of victory. However, I've had at least 80 comms in a loss. now I'm getting off track.

you're talking about 5 comms for getting one medal? maybe a little participation money. as it stands right now, the most important aspects related to this issue are already accounted for: pugging into a loss still counts as participation in a WZ for your daily. A win counts as two WZs toward the daily and 1 toward the weekly - even if you never leave spawn.

don't get me wrong. I have no problem with awarding the back fill who stays with one token medal. I just think that's relatively meaningless compensation. as the dev said in his reply (and others have said), the real problem is that ppl are back filling into matches that are much too far along. Thus, the backfill participation medal issue is superfluous if they solve the issue of pugging into WZs that are already decided (either based on time or score).
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Warshades
02.15.2013 , 06:55 PM | #43
My understanding is that the WZ grants up to 100 comms. Those are based on how the team performs. But I havent heard what the conditions are. I know last year match duration was part of the equation. The longer the match the more comms you got. I dont think that is the case. I think it is based on score. For example if your team scores 6-0 in Huttball you get more comms than if it were 3-0. But there are multiple ways to achieve max 100 comms just like there are multiple ways to achieve 8 medals.

My guess, score, duration, number of kills, all have some impact on the team 100. Your medals just count for the last 40.

So If a backfill comes in and only gets the backfill medal, they will get team comms + 1 medal (5 comms) so anywhere between 5-105 comms. If its a loss you can bet it will be around 50. And so that one medal is the difference between wasted few minutes and 50 comms for doing nothing.
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Enexemander
02.15.2013 , 09:19 PM | #44
It would be better to simply give a deserter debuff to people quitting. That is a FAR more elegant solution.

foxmob
02.16.2013 , 12:57 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Enexemander View Post
It would be better to simply give a deserter debuff to people quitting. That is a FAR more elegant solution.
no. I've seen how useless that is in WoW. people will always quit. and you'd also be punishing ppl for d/c. punishment simply isn't a viable option (as far as actually fixing the problem).
JC -- Harb -- TEH

manchusabre
02.16.2013 , 12:07 PM | #46
It seems like fewer are pvping now even after all the transfers. They are going to have to add cross server pvp to keep it going.

ObscureKnight
02.16.2013 , 03:51 PM | #47
Nah no need. I have come into WZ on the tail end of things only to see it turn around to a win. I DO NOT like the ones where when the load screen is done I am sitting there looking at a scoreboard and I am all alone. A back fill at the last 30 seconds is something that should never be.

I say don't eliminate it, but give an ability to track the quitters by those on his team so they can kill them later. Or even better have him flagged on the fleet and allow every PVPer to kick them around for a few.
Shadowkeeper
Imps: Fd - Sorc, Xl - Sin, Rg - Jug, MissGuidance - Mara, Mirialan - Merc, Shd - PT, Noctur Pubs: Fde, bscura - Shadow, Starri - Sent, Glss - Commando, Nil - Vanguard, Inco'gnito - Slinger

Brittaany_Banks
02.16.2013 , 04:03 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
We have seen how bad backfill can be, loading into a game just to have it end 30s later is a major bummer so we are looking at ways we can make this system more efficient. Most likely we will set a point during each Warzone when it will no longer backfill, based on time remaining and/or a score differential between the teams.

Backfill won't be eliminated outright because it does serve a valuable purpose, we just want to make it better.

In addition, we also looking into (but no promises) the idea that we grant a medal for backfilling into a game that is in progress, to help make sure those backfillers don't miss out on rewards by not having enough time to get a medal on their own.

Cheers!
The solution is quite simple really. Enable a checkbox that disables being able to be put into warzones already in progress just like the option group finder has. Once you do that the issue of backfill will completely go away.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?
#GamerGate

foxmob
02.16.2013 , 04:12 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by ObscureKnight View Post
I say don't eliminate it, but give an ability to track the quitters by those on his team so they can kill them later. Or even better have him flagged on the fleet and allow every PVPer to kick them around for a few.
this may have been a joke. I can't tell. but if you're serious, there's no way BW or any games company would do something to purposefully encourage aggressive, quasi malicious behavior. tbh, there's plenty of it w/o designer aide. heh
JC -- Harb -- TEH