Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please Eliminate Backfill

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Please Eliminate Backfill
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

UGLYMRJ
02.14.2013 , 03:43 PM | #21
The thought of eliminating back fill has already been discussed in several threads by the mathematicians who came up with the brilliant idea to have a group only queue.

Backfill that.

Riggz
02.14.2013 , 03:49 PM | #22
This a new PvP dev team?
If so I like them alot better
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
<BLACK SUN RISING>
<INFAMOUS>

DarthSabreth
02.14.2013 , 03:50 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
The search function on this board sucks, so once again...

when people leave WZs, almost always because their team is in a bad situation for one reason or another, another person who had absolutely NOTHING to do with the poor performance of the initial team is now thrust into said situation. more often than not, the new person leaves. then two more ppl leave, and two more ppl back fill only to leave when they realized they've been drafted blindly into an in-progress, losing WZ.

hey, I get it. sometimes you come in and turn the tide. sometimes a person on the winning team dc's and you get a free win. let's be honest, those are the rare occasions. the scenario described in the first paragraph is what occurs the VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. this hurts the back fillers, either because they're cheated out of a fighting chance in a new wz or because they're sent to the end of the queue if they drop when they realized that they're back fill. this hurts the original teammates that don't leave the WZ because a) they are perpetually playing 1 or more men short while waiting for the back fills to arrive, drop, arrive, drop, etc. and b) instead of getting out of the WZ honorably by having it simply end due to lack of forces, they get the privileged of getting pounded on and sunk into a deeper hole. the only motivations NOT to drop are stubborn pride and the desire to spare an innocent back filler the agony that you're dealing with.

Dear BW and PvP community: you will NEVER eliminate quitters. People will ALWAYS quit. Holding out for back fill wastes more people's time and frustrates more players than it helps.

Please look at your server. If your PvP population is good, please petition to remove back fill from it. I realize that some oceanic servers are suffering from sparse populations and would rather keep unbalanced WZs open. But I assure you, that is not the case with the healthy PVE and PVP servers state side. Please, eliminate back fill. Let the WZs end rather than perpetuate a constant cycle of drop, refill, drop, refill, drop drop, etc.
agreed i refuse to backfill an ongoing match, i usually leave i prefer a fresh match bewcak back filling a match does not give me any rewards for my effort / wasted time.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

Laurreth
02.14.2013 , 03:55 PM | #24
I personally love getting into an almost-over warzone, at least at a point when it's still possible to get that single medal for rewards. Even if not, it still counts towards the daily quest, and if you get in really late you don't even have to sit through all the frustration and chat drama
I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up rantboi

AdrianDmitruk
02.14.2013 , 03:59 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
I personally love getting into an almost-over warzone, at least at a point when it's still possible to get that single medal for rewards. Even if not, it still counts towards the daily quest, and if you get in really late you don't even have to sit through all the frustration and chat drama
And if you've already done the daily, you get literally nothing for wasting your time...

Give us that backfill medal already.
Adrian-Defense Guardian | Kerrik-Vigilance Guardian | Matari-Scoundrel Healer | Treston-Pyromaniac Vanguard | Eamen-Sage Healer
Kendrew-Op Healer | Andreus-Sorc Healer | Matarion-Juggernaut Smasher
The Makaryk Legacy of Healing to Full - Begeren Colony

foxmob
02.14.2013 , 07:41 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
We have seen how bad backfill can be, loading into a game just to have it end 30s later is a major bummer so we are looking at ways we can make this system more efficient. Most likely we will set a point during each Warzone when it will no longer backfill, based on time remaining and/or a score differential between the teams.

Backfill won't be eliminated outright because it does serve a valuable purpose, we just want to make it better.

In addition, we also looking into (but no promises) the idea that we grant a medal for backfilling into a game that is in progress, to help make sure those backfillers don't miss out on rewards by not having enough time to get a medal on their own.

Cheers!
thanks for the reply. I think you present reasonable options. and I look forward to their implementation.

edit: please do keep in mind that most of the problem with back fill isn't just that ppl back fill into WZs late, it's that it keeps hopeless WZs alive. which means when back fillers do enter, they immediately leave and are then replaced by more back fill. it's self perpetuating cycle.
Kracks and other assorted stuff on Jedi Covanent
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

anwg
02.14.2013 , 07:50 PM | #27
Also shorten the queue pop timer to 30 seconds.

SomeJagoff
02.14.2013 , 08:44 PM | #28
We have seen how bad backfill can be, loading into a game just to have it end 30s later is a major bummer so we are looking at ways we can make this system more efficient. Most likely we will set a point during each Warzone when it will no longer backfill, based on time remaining and/or a score differential between the teams.

Backfill won't be eliminated outright because it does serve a valuable purpose, we just want to make it better.

In addition, we also looking into (but no promises) the idea that we grant a medal for backfilling into a game that is in progress, to help make sure those backfillers don't miss out on rewards by not having enough time to get a medal on their own.

Cheers!
Nice! Glad to hear this is an issue that's being looked at. I'd like to thank you and the bioware team for taking the time to address these issues directly, as they've been on a lot of our minds. Direct communication like this makes me stay subbed.
Lightsabers, Force Choke, Force Lightning, Jedi Mind Tricks, what else could you want from an MMO? There may be other MMOs out there, but do they have Lightsabers?....Do They?

Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

Daex
02.15.2013 , 04:38 AM | #29

Cheers!
Why complicate, just give everyone who finishes the warzone 1 medal

foxmob
02.15.2013 , 08:59 AM | #30
I must be missing something. why are ppl so concerned about getting that "one medal"? as far as I know...
  • completing a wz counts toward the daily (a win counts as 2, a loss as 1).
  • winning a wz counts toward the weekly.

neither of the above conditions have any relation to garnering medals.

now I do understand that medals are somewhat related to comms and to valor (up to 8 medals). however, I think the comms one would receive from earning just one medal in wz are negligable (like 20 or something?). also, I often have well over 8 medal, yet I can be nowhere near the 140 comm cap (before mvp votes). so, it seems that medals do not actually dictate comms anyway. iunno. I've never fully understood this system. in any case, 1 token medal seems worthless to me. I'm not sure why ppl would care about that.
Kracks and other assorted stuff on Jedi Covanent
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.