Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
02.18.2013 , 08:43 AM | #981
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
I've done numerous tests on my low level characters and yes I can state catagorically that levelling through the game is not impacted by this change, believe it or be a sheep, I don't care.
except others have seen differently Mr Spock. So peer review shows you either had flaws in your testing or you falsified results. Your claims of empirical evidence do not trump others. Try again.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
02.18.2013 , 08:48 AM | #982
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Should we give everyone everything for free? That way no one has to worry about in-game money. Everybody can just run around waving their glow sticks and playing Star Wars. That would be kind of ridiculous, wouldn't it? So why is it ridiculous for players to actually do something to earn credits?
They should charge 100k per death....that way you can really work for the rewards you get.

Lynsunom's Avatar


Lynsunom
02.18.2013 , 09:23 AM | #983
Quote:
Does no one realize this was a bug that has now been fixed?
While this may be true and is a phrase I see often bandied about I have one simple question.

HOW DO WE KNOW IT WAS A BUG?

All we have is BW/EA word for it, so let me just for one brief moment play devil's advocate here. What if they wanted to reduce the loading upon their server clusters which perform the processing for operations due to heavy usage, or just simply wanted to remove an over abundance of credits (in their opinion) within the game. Easy solution bump the repair costs up forefold and say it was a bug. How would we know any difference?

This is the central point, WAS IT A BUG FIX or an attempt to solve a problem on their end that would otherwise require someone to authorize digging into the company coffers for hardware upgrades.

So, claim a software bug and make a simple software change or spend $xxxx on bring hardware up to spec.

Remember this is EA we are talking about here.

Personally any information produced at this point by BW/EA to show repair costs were broken should be treated as suspect, how can we as the final consumers know it's veracity.

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
02.18.2013 , 09:27 AM | #984
It's Bioware's priorities that make me angry more than anything. Here are some of the things that players liked that they "fixed:"

1. Using exit area to avoid repair costs
2. Reasonable repair costs for wiping
3. Sharing completed Gree missions

(by the way, if players are sharing mission to avoid doing them, maybe instead of fixing it, you should be asking yourselves why players would want to avoid content?)

And here are some bugs that were not fixed, because they were too busy inconveniencing players:
1. Quick travel not working on Ilum
2. Alderaan Civil War speeder forgets your focus target

I'm sure there are many more examples for both categories, but hopefully my point is made.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Mercurial_Harpy's Avatar


Mercurial_Harpy
02.18.2013 , 09:40 AM | #985
Amazing that we have YET to see a Bioware response truly addressing this issue and what fixes are planned. Multiple threads, hundreds of pages, thousands of views and SILENCE from the Developers for a week as of tomorrow. We got a "it's working as intended" from Beesodd and "we're looking into it" by Joveth last week, then nothing. It's mind-boggling.

They pushed 1.7 with no QA because they KNEW stuff was broken; they just didn't care.

This thread and the calculations done by the OP prove increased repair costs are clearly a bug, and one they seem to have no intention of rectifying.

http://www.swtor.com/community/newre...te=1&p=5874693

Sadly, this is exactly what I've been in denial over for the last year.

The inmates aren't running the asylum; the building is empty.

I shudder to think what game-breaking bug will be pushed in the future.

This game had so much bloody potential. What a waste.

* * *
~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~

Isaac_Stern's Avatar


Isaac_Stern
02.18.2013 , 10:16 AM | #986
I'm really tired, disappointed and finally harassed by a software house unworthy of my subscription. I am GM of a guild and the new repair costs are a threat to all those who want to raid.
Now we are all really obliged to farm dailies only to allow us to repair. It makes no sense.
I am really tired of having to bear all these fail. I bought the expansion but now I'm sick and I do not care to continue to be teased.

Bye.

Zuato's Avatar


Zuato
02.18.2013 , 10:31 AM | #987
Let me add that in addition to the increased costs in game, one of the reasons I (and many I know) left WoW was the gated content that is accessible only through a daily grind. If they want to get rid of their paying player base they sure are doing a good job of it.

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
02.18.2013 , 10:38 AM | #988
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
So, you run an OP or HM FP once? I cannot see any reason why you would like to do the same stuff over and over again, mindlessly beating the same content.

It's for the rewards you get, you say? That gear that drops in those OP's and HM FP's is your reward for mindlessly beating the same content you've already beaten? Guess what. Those credits you get for doing those dailies are you reward for mindlessly beating that same content which you've already beaten.

The thing about those credits is that while dailies may be the most efficient to earn credits, they are by no means the ONLY way to earn them. There are plenty of ways to earn credits. Some of them can be even done, or at least mostly accomplished, while doing the "fun" stuff.
That's because you are speaking authoritatively about something that you have little information about. ;p

As a raiding guild we have to run dual content in order to continually gear up our ranks and keep them full and able to run progression. A guild that does not do so will die....and now we are seeing guilds that do dying because of the increased cost of repair that is turning people away from volunteering to run those extra OPs.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.18.2013 , 10:41 AM | #989
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
That's because you are speaking authoritatively about something that you have little information about. ;p

As a raiding guild we have to run dual content in order to continually gear up our ranks and keep them full and able to run progression. A guild that does not do so will die....and now we are seeing guilds that do dying because of the increased cost of repair that is turning people away from volunteering to run those extra OPs.
I'm very familiar with running a second or even third raid group to gear up alts. I've done it many times. I've seen new recruits join our guild, use our guild to gear up, and then leave once they got the gear they wanted. Tell me again how I have little information about raiding?

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
02.18.2013 , 10:43 AM | #990
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Should 63's have the same repair cost as 2's? Should campaign gear have the same repair costs the gear you start in? After all, those dailies you mentioned don't give more credits if you're in campaign gear than they would if you were in starting gear.

Repair gear should be based on the level of the gear, not the player. With moddable gear that means it should be based on the level and value of the item modifications, but not the level or value of the shell. Purple 15's should cost more to repair than blue 15's and purple 63's should cost more to repair than purple 61's. It should not cost more to repair a purple campaign shell with all 63's than to repair a level 15 orange shell with those same 63's.
Based on level of the player, not gear. Basing it on gear is a failed system that will only further frustrate and drive players away. Increasing that cost to the extreme is as failed a system as experience and level losses for deaths. Its all been tried and failed before.

It will further diminish the effectiveness of guilds and greatly damage a large aspect of the game. The trickle down will take a few months, but the result will be very evident and the game will once again take a downward swing as a result.
May the Schwartz be with you....