Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Harleyquincey's Avatar


Harleyquincey
02.17.2013 , 04:31 AM | #851
Some insight from someone who has been here since release, characters in minmaxed BH gear and 10 million laying around - and still does not support the repair costs.

Reason 1 - Trimming the market?
See, while I personally would have zero problems to pay the repair costs because I know how to earn 300.000 in a single day (Dailies) and would do that on a Saturday morning if I ever got close to broke, it is still quite a nuisance to me and is against the rationale of how a game economy should work. Yes, I understand that people like me and some others are part of the economy problem because we just amass credits and do not spend them easily on something that isn't necessary (or exceedingly nice), so we just build funds and build more funds "for hard times". Those hard times usually never come and lead to people being able to spend immense credits on the stuff they deem worthy of purchase, making the price rise and become steep for those who do not have their ways to gain credits easily. The solution to this however can not be the increase of repair costs by ~300% because this does not affect me anywhere close to severe, but it even further nurtures the existing gap. .

Reason 2 - Introducing a repair item via Cartel Market?
If that would really be the case, I would still not be affected due to the above mentioned reasons, however this would create huge amounts of frustration and grief for those who are not willing (like me) let alone able to spend much on the Cartel Market, since I'd feel cheated for the sake of others. This would actually make me consider if there's easier ways to get credits and since I can be a bit creative with that, it would not be healthy for the market (like buying crafting mats and selling higher later through various channels and means, disguised as crafted items or gifts to friends who gift them to friends who sell them e.g.). I'd make zillions out of that but I do not do so yet since I respect a fair market and don't want others to have the disadvantage. Also there'd be other ways to get the funds even easier. The solution is not found here either hence, since it will not fix any problem nor generate much of an extra income for BioWare since people will not be willing to continue that fmuch longer, so they'd rather turn to niftier ways and get quite creative at that. Seen that in other MMOs and it destroyed entire game economies.

Reason 3 - An oversight?
If this is an oversight decision I can forgive that, but I know quite a few people who cannot easily do so and this will not be "forgotten" within the next few months, people will remember this (sadly) and hold it against the devs for quite a long time. So I'd suggest coming up with more than just an apology in this case. Luckily we customers can be swayed with free-to-produce gifts. I am not saying you should totally do this, I just say that those who now have spent 400k+ on repairs are not the ones you will want to fuinction as multipliers of a bad PR since they usually are those who are in larger guilds or have substantial contacts and friends. They do talk about it, right now. So if I'd be a developer, I'd try to please them to a point where they start spreading good things again, instead of bad things.

This sums up my reflection on the issue and while I am neither affected personally, nor as the Guildmaster of our zany lot of lunatics, nor as guild (sticking together and helping each other in a close-knit community has its benefits) we still do not support this increase and right now I would not speak kindly if asked about it.
There is no emotion, there is Roleplay - There is no passion, there is driving circles on the Fleet.
Valorea (Shadow Tank) Smiles (DPS Vanguard)
Adreianna (Sentinel)
Harlow (DPS Mercenary)

Order of the Grey Wolves - The Progenitor

Ornidoko's Avatar


Ornidoko
02.17.2013 , 04:51 AM | #852
Common Bioware plz fix this, these repair costs are insane and cannot be paid by just casual players

Osryri's Avatar


Osryri
02.17.2013 , 05:19 AM | #853
Just canceled my sub because of this BS. I lost more money then I made tonight do to a few wipes in a flashpoint. This is unbelievable. Whoever manages this game needs to be fired. This was the last straw for me.

Characterfail's Avatar


Characterfail
02.17.2013 , 05:29 AM | #854
There is no way this isn't bugged. As a sage in Campaign armor, I was averaging about 2k more in repairs per wipe than a Vanguard in full Dread Guard armor.

(We have exactly the same ratio or orange to purple shells. We both have all purple level 50 augments. My Campaign light armor cost on average 11k to repair, his Dread Guard heavy armor cost on average 9k to repair)

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
02.17.2013 , 05:30 AM | #855
Quote: Originally Posted by Osryri View Post
Just canceled my sub because of this BS. I lost more money then I made tonight do to a few wipes in a flashpoint. This is unbelievable. Whoever manages this game needs to be fired. This was the last straw for me.
If you wipe more than twice in a flashpoint why would you expect to have a credit net gain
That doesn't encourage you to become a better player
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Osryri's Avatar


Osryri
02.17.2013 , 05:31 AM | #856
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
If you wipe more than twice in a flashpoint why would you expect to have a credit net gain
That doesn't encourage you to become a better player
You do realize a wipe is when the entire group dies right? You cant solo flashpoints.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
02.17.2013 , 05:34 AM | #857
Quote: Originally Posted by Osryri View Post
You do realize a wipe is when the entire group dies right? You cant solo flashpoints.
Yes, and the fact that you have to work together to beat the flashpoints and Operations is why people of similar skill levels attract and form guilds - no one wants to suffer for the defficiences of others.

If you're thinking I'm some kind of elitist you're wrong, I just dislike the lack of penalty for death in SWTOR. Even WoW had a better death system - Death is Cheap is not something I enjoy.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

grombrinda's Avatar


grombrinda
02.17.2013 , 05:38 AM | #858
Quote: Originally Posted by CrystalCat View Post
Just my two cents in this discussion, for what it's worth. I run a fairly new guild over on the Ebon Hawk Server, and we're only just now getting our "first batch" of 50s into the sort of gear that you can begin "progression" runs in. As a Guildmaster, I've been getting excited, as have many of my guildmates about doing this. These new repair costs have, quite frankly, just stopped us in our tracks. We haven't had a year of hardcore raiding at "low" costs to build up a big guildbank and personal bank accounts. Simply put... we just can't afford it.

We also have one member who, while a very good player, has a less than optimal computer, and has lag issues. He respectfully bowed out of our raids this week because he didn't want to cost us unnecessary credits. Still didn't mean it wasn't upsetting. I've been running with this guy for 4-5 months, and now, because of this, his ability to progress any further in the game has effectively been halted, and he's not going to be renewing his subscription when it expires next week. As he put it "what's the point?"

You essentially have two major types of gamers with subscriptions: the really hard core people who have the time to spend hours and hours on the game every day, and those who play casually, and don't have a problem with $15/month for a little fun. That first group of players is likely also the group that is willing to throw more real money bioware's way to pay for fake money in a game. The second... is likely what makes up the majority of their subscribers, which, less face it, is who bioware is going to care about because they get money from them. A lot of their playerbase is also, likely, students.

I'm about to become one again in starting my Masters Degree. I'm not going to have money to give to bioware beyond my subscription. To those people that have simply suggested this, I congratulate you for being in a point in your life where you can afford it. I, however, look at that extra cash as a much-needed pub night with the girls after exams, or a healthy meal instead of ramen cups. So for what will probably turn into one or two nights a week I get to actually play... I want to do the parts of the game that I enjoy - raids. I enjoy the social aspect of this game - getting into mumble with a bunch of my friends, and tossing the breeze while the Writhing Horror impregnates our tanks. My raiding used to fund itself, as well as letting me get to have some other fun on the GTN, I didn't make much money this week in my raids, and we weren't training anyone new to the raids.

I've seen some really negative things happening the last few days. I'm a BH/Campaign/DG/fully purple augmented geared Sage Healer on my main, so I was alright pugging a few flashpoints and supporting some folks in tionese gear while they try to gear up because I can heal what the mack truck-hitters want to dish out 98% of the time. I'm ok spending some cash to help a new/first-time 50s learn the ropes. It's not been so long for me since I first hit 50 that I've forgotten how confusing it was, and how suddenly one mistake = a costly bill. I met some good people who beared with me, and gave me some advice on how to get better. This kindness in game has practically disappeared between people who weren't already mates. I, too, have seen people drop from flash points, or vote to kick with reason of "Tionese, we'll wipe" as the reason. This didn't happen before (Outside of LI HM anyway). This new attitude can not be healthy for the game.

Where has the camaraderie gone? We're all Star Wars fans, we're all gamers. We all play this game for different reasons: some like pvp, some like raids, some like rp, some like a healthy mix. If bioware adjusts so that more creds drop in a run, I think that this adjusted repair bills can stay, but one of my guilds' main tanks that's geared like I am had a 40K repair bill after a single wipe... that entire op was no longer at all beneficial to them since they no longer needed to farm BH coms, and was in there because we're helping one of our new healers get geared up.

Bioware may have shot themselves in the foot with this patch.

Some have just argued that you should "just buck up and do what you're supposed to" or "spend more real money" (which I personally believe as the real reason that this "bug" was "fixed"). But I say to you, what's more important?

Grinding for credits vs Family Time/study time/work
Spending more real money vs Having a healthy meal/social time away form the internet

I watched a lot of really smart people flunk out of their undergrad because of WoW addictions because they needed to grind to afford the raid. Game designers need to stop and think about what's really important.

I won't pay tens of thousands for a masters course only to flunk out of it. If my raiding can't support itself, I'll probably dump my subscription, and since you can't raid as a F2P... that'll be the end of starwars for me.

I guess the moral of my ramble here is "less is more."

Bioware, this was rather bad timing - particularly right before a major game update with Rise of the Hutts. Are the few people that will actually give you more money worth the subscribers that will leave?
Another well thought out post. +1 sir....I have also stopped raiding on my main and doing fp's on my alts, since they are in free tionese...no one wants to take the chance of a wipe.

Ea (not Bioware now..) fix..or give us some info .
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

Osryri's Avatar


Osryri
02.17.2013 , 05:39 AM | #859
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Yes, and the fact that you have to work together to beat the flashpoints and Operations is why people of similar skill levels attract and form guilds - no one wants to suffer for the defficiences of others.

If you're thinking I'm some kind of elitist you're wrong, I just dislike the lack of penalty for death in SWTOR. Even WoW had a better death system - Death is Cheap is not something I enjoy.
Wow you're so hardcore.

LaynaTan's Avatar


LaynaTan
02.17.2013 , 05:46 AM | #860
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Yes, and the fact that you have to work together to beat the flashpoints and Operations is why people of similar skill levels attract and form guilds - no one wants to suffer for the defficiences of others.

If you're thinking I'm some kind of elitist you're wrong, I just dislike the lack of penalty for death in SWTOR. Even WoW had a better death system - Death is Cheap is not something I enjoy.
Wich leads us right back to the question of playing-styles... everyone should have the choice to play with players of similar or higher skill, yes.
But the high repair costs also hurt those who choose to show less experiences players the ropes; if death ends up being too expensive, we loose those teachers, and we propably loose future flashpoint-partners because they are no longer tutored and cannot afford the wipes you get with a completely inexperiences group -> Some of them might never appear in Hardmode, so those who want to run them loose possible partners.

I actually do not know the golden way here, I feely admit that... best idea I have would be some item that discounts the next repair when you are running as "mentor"... the Problem is I have no idea how you would recognise said mentor.

Layna

PS: I support any system that means you can support your repair-costs without dailies ^^