Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

skomerko's Avatar


skomerko
02.16.2013 , 07:06 AM | #691
Quote: Originally Posted by R-Tee-Doo-Tee View Post

TLDR: if this game feels like i need to spend hours doing dailies to pay for a few hours raiding repairs then im sorry im out. Constantly moving the goalposts just infuriates people Bioware.
Great post. I tottaly agree with you.

Alpha-Llama's Avatar


Alpha-Llama
02.16.2013 , 07:13 AM | #692
i havent got the time to dedicate to 3 lots of dailies a day to afford repairs for one progressional raid in my evening. If i cant raid there isnt much point in me playing because this is what i enjoy doing in game. If im not playing im not subscribing to the three subscriber accounts i have anymore and i will probably move on from the game if no changes are made. Thats the way i feel atm with current costs being as they are.
you see these crawler keys ? You'll never get these, they belong to the nine eight possee
.............Besh - Ctrl-Alt-Elite

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.16.2013 , 07:14 AM | #693
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
And just what the heck is wrong with that? SWTOR is a leisure activity. Its supposed to be FUN and ENTERTAINING.

I sure as hell dont pay $15 a month to be made to "work" a 2nd job. This for me is the last straw put on top of other grievances I have about this game that I truly love - THAT is why I and many like myself have unsubscribed.

Im just trying to finish off as many class storylines as possible before my subscription ends now.


Quote: Originally Posted by antiheroxi View Post
And seriously whats wrong with wanting to spend time in a game... That's designed to be fun... Well having fun... oh right for some reason the worlds getting to the point that even games should follow the pattern of real life in which we must work tediously for hours a day in order to reap the benefits.

its no longer work hard to come home and play hard for those of us that are full time workers. we get to work hard at work to come home and... well work hard at a game... and if we have time left over we may get a chance to play hard....

yeah that makes this game all together attractive for casuals. This game has been a great alternative to WoW, eq2, and the other much more time consuming games but if having to farm cash for hours on end a week to just be able to enjoy a hour a week of raids or so then this has lost all appeal for those of us with a real life. Im glad they are looking into it but really they just need to revert it and keep it the same its always been.

and for the post above that talks about how costs rise in real life... yeah you are right they do for many reasons. supply, demand, availablity of resources, etc. none of which do / should apply to repairs costs in a virtual world that supply is constant, demand is constant and is all imaginary. the only virtual fluctuations should be caused in a virtual market...

unless they made repairs market drive (ie you needed crafters to do repairs to repair) in which case then you would have a case for rising costs.
There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to be fun. Not all game are only "fun". Some require "work". MMO's are among these. The very nature of an MMO is all about "work". No one should expect an MMO to be all "fun" and no "work". That's just not the way these games work. You can cry "It's just a game, I shouldn't have to work" all you want, but that does not change the fact that MMO's are all about work. Should we all get 50's upon creation because, after all, leveling is work and some people only play for the "fun" end game? Should we all get campaign or dread guard gear because getting that gear requires effort and "work"?

If all you want to do is the "fun" stuff, then there are plenty of other game genres out there that are just the "fun" stuff and do not require the "work" that MMO's require.

You can call me an elitist, but I consider myself a casual, with very limited play time. Recognizing that an MMO, by its very nature, requires "work" and being willing to put forth some effort in order to be able to enjoy the "fun" stuff does NOT make me an elitist.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.16.2013 , 07:17 AM | #694
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
...
In fact you need a healthy balance between fun stuff and work, and work can be fun, depending on what it entails. Grinding daylies is boring, especially in this game where there are no different fighting modes but the same fight over and over again.

If work, the boring kind, outweighs the fun, people will leave. Rightfully so.

ntdviet's Avatar


ntdviet
02.16.2013 , 07:22 AM | #695
Gamers are per definition lame and want to progress with the least effort. I remember the time in WoW where we got to prepare for a week to do 1 raid.
How come noone complain about 1mil amorings on GTN?

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.16.2013 , 07:25 AM | #696
Quote: Originally Posted by ntdviet View Post
Gamers are per definition lame and want to progress with the least effort. I remember the time in WoW where we got to prepare for a week to do 1 raid.
How come noone complain about 1mil amorings on GTN?
Gemers per definition want entertainment, rather than work, for the money they pay.

People did complain about 1 mil armorings. Then other people who actually had knowledge of what it take to produce those 1 mil armorings made them look like gradeschool girls crying about the wind blowing sand in their eyes.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Alpha-Llama's Avatar


Alpha-Llama
02.16.2013 , 07:27 AM | #697
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to be fun. Not all game are only "fun". Some require "work". MMO's are among these. The very nature of an MMO is all about "work". No one should expect an MMO to be all "fun" and no "work". That's just not the way these games work. You can cry "It's just a game, I shouldn't have to work" all you want, but that does not change the fact that MMO's are all about work. Should we all get 50's upon creation because, after all, leveling is work and some people only play for the "fun" end game? Should we all get campaign or dread guard gear because getting that gear requires effort and "work"?

If all you want to do is the "fun" stuff, then there are plenty of other game genres out there that are just the "fun" stuff and do not require the "work" that MMO's require.

You can call me an elitist, but I consider myself a casual, with very limited play time. Recognizing that an MMO, by its very nature, requires "work" and being willing to put forth some effort in order to be able to enjoy the "fun" stuff does NOT make me an elitist.
i have worked i have full dread guard and elite war hero on most my toons (in fact all my 50's)
What i wont do is boring repetitive content to the degree i now have to after these changes to pay for repairs.
I WILL work for loot and to help my friends and for the kudos of completing something in game also for fun factor or something rare . I will pay for REASONABLE repair costs

Star wars galaxies made people grind and grind some more and look what happened to that.
You want this game to turn into a ghostship for elite players carry on Bioware.
But let me tell you the regular folk always outnumber the shut ins.

no fun no interest. I can complete dailies easily but should i have to spend 2 hours a day doing something monotonous so that i can spend the same time enjoying my time in game with my guild ? I really dont mind some costs but this game is starting to feel like tax rates in real life. I dont like to feel i have to dedicate the same time grinding cash in game as i have to raiding > stupid.
you see these crawler keys ? You'll never get these, they belong to the nine eight possee
.............Besh - Ctrl-Alt-Elite

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.16.2013 , 07:33 AM | #698
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
In fact you need a healthy balance between fun stuff and work, and work can be fun, depending on what it entails. Grinding daylies is boring, especially in this game where there are no different fighting modes but the same fight over and over again.

If work, the boring kind, outweighs the fun, people will leave. Rightfully so.
That is their choice. There may be an MMO out there that will allow them to do only the "fun" things or it may be that MMO's may not be for them, and another type of game may suit them better.

I agree that dailies are boring, but I also know they are an easy source of credits which I need to be able to do the "fun" things I enjoy.

I see a lot of posters in this thread simply refusing to even entertain the thought of doing dailies or finding a way to earn the credits to afford the higher repair costs. The expectation to be able to do only the "fun" stuff and will not have to do the "boring kind" of "work", or the flat out refusal to do the "work" that an MMO generally requires, is what many would refer to as an "entitled attitude".

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.16.2013 , 07:39 AM | #699
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
That is their choice. There may be an MMO out there that will allow them to do only the "fun" things or it may be that MMO's may not be for them, and another type of game may suit them better.

I agree that dailies are boring, but I also know they are an easy source of credits which I need to be able to do the "fun" things I enjoy.

I see a lot of posters in this thread simply refusing to even entertain the thought of doing dailies or finding a way to earn the credits to afford the higher repair costs. The expectation to be able to do only the "fun" stuff and will not have to do the "boring kind" of "work", or the flat out refusal to do the "work" that an MMO generally requires, is what many would refer to as an "entitled attitude".
When I pay to see a play, I expect to sit in the theater and relax and be entertained. I do not expect to have to sweep the floors or clean the restrooms during intermission to be able to see the next act.

When I pay an entertainment company for a game, I expect that game to be entertaining rather than tedious.

That is not "entitlement". That is "expecting what you paid for".

"Entitlement" is expecting the the government to hand you money, food, health care, and a phone while you sit on your *** watching Oprah all day incubating your 9th out-of-wedlock baby.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

ntdviet's Avatar


ntdviet
02.16.2013 , 07:44 AM | #700
Nope, you're wrong. If they want pure entertainment, they won't do the same boring ops over and over again. Go out watch a movie instead.
What raiders want is a piece of equipment that makes them feel an edge better than others, and you aren't expecting we all get that superior feeling automatically for 15 bucks a month? Come on.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Gemers per definition want entertainment, rather than work, for the money they pay.

People did complain about 1 mil armorings. Then other people who actually had knowledge of what it take to produce those 1 mil armorings made them look like gradeschool girls crying about the wind blowing sand in their eyes.
Ok, so what? U paid 1mil for a fraction of an equipment. Now with good luck, u pay 1 mil for a full piece (1mil repair cost is by far exaggerating). Whats the big deal?