Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
02.15.2013 , 05:20 PM | #611
Quote: Originally Posted by Zenephis View Post
Dying 30 times in an ops has nothing to do with sucking. Most guilds are still struggling with Nightmare Kephess. Just the trandoshan phase alone results in wipe after wipe after wipe. This is where some of us are coming in and saying screw that. 200k repair bills for an hour of wipes is too high for me to continue with ops. Nightmare Denova is still difficult.
Okay, before this change, I was paying 7k for repairs and we spent several nights of just NiM Keph attempts. That's a good 20 attempts in one night... maybe. So that's 140k repairs in one night.

How are you paying 200k in one hour? That sounds a bit exaggerated. Even at 10k a pop that's 20 attempts in one hour. That means, on average, 3 minutes per attempt... including run back time.

I still think prices are too high, but if you're exaggerating, please don't.

DarthTyranid's Avatar


DarthTyranid
02.15.2013 , 05:20 PM | #612
New on the Cartel Market!
Repair Kits!
Only 100 Cartel Coins!

It's coming...

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.15.2013 , 05:21 PM | #613
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
So the bugs that are still in the game and have been since beta should not be fixed because they are features now?
BJ
Well, I think what he meant to say was clear, no? Bugs usually don't benefit all players in minor ways but are annoyances that deserve to be fixed. Better?

BobaScott's Avatar


BobaScott
02.15.2013 , 05:40 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Is Saturday soon enough? I hear they're fixing it then.
Citation, please. AFAIK they are just fixing their fix for the personal spaceship legacy travel unlock.

TheSkate's Avatar


TheSkate
02.15.2013 , 05:52 PM | #615
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hey folks,

I just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.
I just want to thank you for looking at this situation. Hope it is resolved quickly. Very quickly.
"Blah blah blah, yackity smackity, and a nice cold glass of orange juice"
Hugh Tasmanian Devil

_tegrof's Avatar


_tegrof
02.15.2013 , 05:57 PM | #616
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Patch 1.2 notes:
Modifiable items now have repair costs based on the level of their base modification.

Patch 1.7 notes:
Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements.


I see no conflict between the 1.2 patch notes and the 1.7 patch notes.

I may be wrong, but I surmise that this is what happened. Patch 1.2 repair costs and vendor prices were SUPPOSED to be based on the item modifications installed. Sometime after 1.2, likely after 1.6, but prior to 1.7, it was discovered that although repair costs were supposed to be calculated based on the item modifications in the item, there was a bug and item values were not being CORRECTLY based on the item modifications. Item values were actually being calculated WITHOUT their item modifications. Patch 1.7 corrected this bug so that the item modifications are now being correctly valued with regards to repair costs and vendor value.
I hear ya, but the thing is, they did that change in 1.2 because repair costs were too high before that.

What would be their thinking (outside some cartel repair kit coming) for raising it for any reason. If you're going to "fix" this, then lower the overall since it's going to be back to being too high again.

They don't seem to understand that credit sinks like this hurt the wrong people. The people with oodles and oodles of credits aren't going to care because they have the time and the methods to earn creds constantly. The average player that has less time to play is not interested in being forced to spend 80% of play time earning creds and 20% doing things they actually enjoy.

Today is my last sub day, if it's not already freemium. I decided a while ago that their decisions were so out of touch that I wasn't willing to pay money anymore. If I find F2P too restrictive, I'll just go somewhere else eventually. Not crying, not complaining. Just saying, the people making decisions here are out of it.

I don't know what the future holds, maybe they'll finally fire the RIGHT people and get someone that knows what they're doing in there. Maybe the game will turn around. Who knows, but right now, this game and the people running it haven't earned the right to any more of my "creds".

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 06:00 PM | #617
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTyranid View Post
New on the Cartel Market!
Repair Kits!
Only 100 Cartel Coins!

It's coming...
That's the emergency Saturday patch.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

mothear's Avatar


mothear
02.15.2013 , 06:01 PM | #618
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
I died once during the Darkness on Ilum Heroic 2+. All my gear was 100% prior to the death. After dying and all my equipment going to either 69/80 or 70/80 I was saddld with a 13k repair bill. This is 3x as much as prior to the patch. That is a ridiculous amount and it needs to be lowered.
Strange I just rode out to let trash kill my 50 IA who is in 49 lvl 126 advanced armour and got a bill for 3800.

My gunslinger in 1/3 columi rest tionese (all slots modded) got a bill for 5,300.

Seems if you use appropriate level gear it isn't excessive at all.

publicenemies's Avatar


publicenemies
02.15.2013 , 06:03 PM | #619
This is going to be bioware/ea' solution i have no doubt this is coming and if im wrong devs chime in and say this isnt true. Just as i right about makeb i kept asking are we gonna have to pay for that? james ohlen was the only one to say you wouldnt.

Welcome to your 1 stop online shopping experience in the star wars universe

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTyranid View Post
New on the Cartel Market!
Repair Kits!
Only 100 Cartel Coins!

It's coming...

Angry_Ferth's Avatar


Angry_Ferth
02.15.2013 , 06:05 PM | #620
This thread is kind of all over the place now.

I'm sorry Ratajack, but as soon as you felt the need to demonstrate your real life concerns in conjunction with your gaming concerns you lost your fight. It's entirely possible your post was 100% sincere and genuine in regard to what you do in real life and how you still manage to find time to grind dailies... But as soon as you felt the need to share it with a bunch of strangers on the internet any credibility your argument had went out the window.

Do you even lift?

My concern is not that they raised the cost of repairs and now the game is awful and borked. To the person complaining that old deaths used to cost 7k and now they cost 10k... That is exactly the projected increase you should be seeing from the change. And I can't imagine that increase is suddenly ruining your entire SWTOR experience.

One of the problems here is the chap who has the 18k repair cost from one death. That is not acceptable. So it's clear that whether it is directly related to this fix or not something is causing outrageous and prohibitive repair costs. At this point, reverting back to 1.6 values might not fix the actual bug, since who knows what piece of code got messed up that is actually causing these crazy increases.

The next issue becomes, if this is a bug, and they find it and fix it, but keep the slightly higher repair costs that they actually intended to introduce how big of an impact will it have on people who want to experience end game content without being forced to grind dailies to do so.

If it turns out that there is a bug, and they fix it, and the slightly increased repair costs are not nearly as prohibitive as people thought, then I'm perfectly happy paying 2000 credits more per death than I used to.

Anyone, at any point, who made the argument "stop being lazy, grind dailies" your argument is not valid. If the meta game here turns into "6 nights of repetitive crap for one night of progression raiding." then I won't play it. It has nothing to do with how much time I have to play either. It has everything to do with my belief that dailies are the content provided by lazy developers, and if the developers are too lazy to create actual content, then they don't deserve my money.

Repair costs should never be a gating mechanism to content. The argument that they need to increase repair costs to effectively remove the stupid amounts of credits that can potentially be introduced into the game in a given day because of their poorly designed dailies is ultimately a weak one. The answer to that argument is that dailies should not be so profitable, since it is, in effect, printing more money.

Repair costs should never be more than a balance to what the average player earns through the course of playing the game.

At this point if the ultimate goal here was a weak attempt at removing money from the game then they seriously need to re-evaluate the earning potential from dailies. Feel free to predict mass outcry should they go this route, but if you are also one of the proponents for excessive repair costs then you need to realize that our ultimate goal is the same, I'm just proposing a fix that effects you more than it effects me. Much like this fix effects me more than it effects you.