Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cidbahamut's Avatar


cidbahamut
02.15.2013 , 03:20 PM | #581
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
people who complain because they want to keep playing might be good to have around (though IMO, that depends on how constructive their complaints are)

but what good are the people who complain all the while saying - nothing you do will keep me paying, I'm done with you all. why would you listen to people like that why would you take any of their concerns seriously? after all nothing you do will sway them, so why even bother?
You listen to people like that so that you can learn more about what it is that drove them to that state so that you might correct your own shortcomings and prevent other players from reaching that breaking point in the future.

Honestly, is "learning from your mistakes" really such an obscure concept?

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
02.15.2013 , 03:20 PM | #582
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBama View Post
Where are you all coming up with such low repair costs? I just did a Kaon FP, I got killed 2 times, and had a 70k bill to repair ( which I couldn't afford) so I triaged the gear and limped to the finish.
What gear were you wearing?

Dread guard tank gear might have costs that high, even so that seems a tad on the high side to me. Its possible that you triggered some sort of bug pushing your costs higher than they should be.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Urael's Avatar


Urael
02.15.2013 , 03:20 PM | #583
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
but what good are the people who complain all the while saying - nothing you do will keep me paying, I'm done with you all. why would you listen to people like that why would you take any of their concerns seriously? after all nothing you do will sway them, so why even bother?
Damage Control. Former customers do have sway over a companies bottom line. Sometimes a well argued bad review from a former customer will cause a potential loss of revenue. What EA/EAware can do now is fix things for those of you that remain and when I hear that they do ( I will still be able to follow the forums long after I can nolonger post) I will honor my part in not steering people away from their product. Those of us that were CE owners and subscribers from pre-launch are a certain metric. Usually CE buyers tend to stick around. They are committed ( or should be? ) to the property. Not a direct causal link, but there is merit in this line of thinking. If I were losing one of my best customers, so much so that I am not going to get them back, I would be concerned for the future of the rest of my customer base, learn from my mistakes and make improvements to keep others from leaving or having a dearth in my customer pool.

MajikMyst's Avatar


MajikMyst
02.15.2013 , 03:24 PM | #584
I wouldn't mind seeing repair costs go back down to pre-patch levels.. Repair costs now are a little high.. Pleae bring them back to what they were before you fixed this bug..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.15.2013 , 03:32 PM | #585
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
How will you spin this one BW? Another 'internal miscommunication', or the 'patch notes were mislabeled'? It would be nice for you if the 1.2 patch notes didn't exist but they do. If intended changes in prior patches are conveniently labeled as bugs in future patches for the sake of removing money from the economy, how are we to believe anything you say regarding anything else in the future?

Just be honest and say this was a veiled attempt at deflation.
Patch 1.2 notes:
Modifiable items now have repair costs based on the level of their base modification.

Patch 1.7 notes:
Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements.


I see no conflict between the 1.2 patch notes and the 1.7 patch notes.

I may be wrong, but I surmise that this is what happened. Patch 1.2 repair costs and vendor prices were SUPPOSED to be based on the item modifications installed. Sometime after 1.2, likely after 1.6, but prior to 1.7, it was discovered that although repair costs were supposed to be calculated based on the item modifications in the item, there was a bug and item values were not being CORRECTLY based on the item modifications. Item values were actually being calculated WITHOUT their item modifications. Patch 1.7 corrected this bug so that the item modifications are now being correctly valued with regards to repair costs and vendor value.

Alphasgimaone's Avatar


Alphasgimaone
02.15.2013 , 03:34 PM | #586
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
What's your favorite method of making credits? How many ingame "minutes" does it take you to recover one night's worth of raid progression?
Pick one? Crafting, profiteering, market trading, or, you know, dailies. With diligence, anyone can make a couple million in a night. That will pay for your raiding for the rest of the week.

Anyone who might turn around and use "But I don't have the time!" excuse simply needs to reduce the x:y ratio.

Hardcore players have to budget their time accordingly and need to apply X hours of work to cover Y hours of play. Someone isn't excused from X simply because he calls himself "casual."

Because, as a matter of fact, I am a casual player. I don't have millions of excess credits lying around in my coffers. However, I did ten minutes of research on the interwebz to find the simplest and most efficient way of making credits. There is myriad information on the subject. Perhaps you should look some of it up?

Quote:
How many level 29 characters do you know - who have ZERO 50's - that can afford 8,800 credit repair bills for each death?
Anyone who's on their first character and can't afford 8k by the time he reaches 30 is wasting his cash on crap he doesn't need.

That's sort of like spending all your income on a hot tub and then complaining because you can't afford the water bill.

But even if your bill for one death was 8k (It isn't.), that's still a few fetch quests on Alderaan + selling trash. Anyone who is dying at a rate that exceeds that should probably go back and learn his class.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Time to step off of your soapbox and enter reality.
This is reality. Where SWTOR's relative death penalty (compared to other games) is peanuts.
Guilds aren't quitting, at least not at the rate you are implying. The ones that are were going to quit anyway.

People living in imaginary glass houses still throw stones, apparently.
SWTOR PvP: now running on the Ellipsis engine.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 03:38 PM | #587
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
Anyone who's on their first character and can't afford 8k by the time he reaches 30 is wasting his cash on crap he doesn't need.
Not once. Once per death.

Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
But even if your bill for one death was 8k (It isn't.), that's still a few fetch quests on Alderaan + selling trash. Anyone who is dying at a rate that exceeds that should probably go back and learn his class.
Actually, it is that per death. But thanks for telling me what my experience is. Could you please tell me what my lunch tasted like, too? Or how my drive home from work will be?

As an aside, it's sort of hard to avoid dying in a flashpoint when your DPS face-pulls 3 groups at the same time...


Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
This is reality. Where SWTOR's relative death penalty (compared to other games) is peanuts.
Guilds aren't quitting, at least not at the rate you are implying. The ones that are were going to quit anyway.

People living in imaginary glass houses still throw stones, apparently.
That is another place you are wrong. The threads on repair costs existed, and the community mods were aware of them, starting Tuesday afternoon. They finally posted something today. The cancellations due to this are now high enough that they finally had to say something.

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
02.15.2013 , 03:38 PM | #588
Quote: Originally Posted by Alphasgimaone View Post
This is reality. Where SWTOR's relative death penalty (compared to other games) is peanuts.
In my reality, I don't need a death 'penalty' in the first place. The actual 'dying' part punishes me enough.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.15.2013 , 03:48 PM | #589
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
In my reality, I don't need a death 'penalty' in the first place. The actual 'dying' part punishes me enough.
Ding. Harsh death penalties discourage risk taking. Most players tend to find risk taking fun, especially when it works out, even if it takes a few tries to work.

Dying used to piss me off because I failed. It's the game's way of telling me I'm doing it wrong. I hated dying, but I'd get right back up and try again, a bit differently this time.

Now, I avoid situations that could kill me.

That's not nearly as fun.

VarKoE's Avatar


VarKoE
02.15.2013 , 03:54 PM | #590
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Not once. Once per death.

That is another place you are wrong. The threads on repair costs existed, and the community mods were aware of them, starting Tuesday afternoon. They finally posted something today. The cancellations due to this are now high enough that they finally had to say something.
You really dont know that is fact. You assume or want to believe.

Lots of complaints but very little actionable info. It would be nice to see repair costs with info on level of shell and level of armor, mod, enhancement, augment.

Another thread mentioned seeing different costs based on lev of the shell with similiar level slot gear. Which opens up some possible reasons for the wide difference in experience. I dont know if i will have ay time before sunday but if i do i can test that. If someone else has please post.