Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 03:03 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
It's already been mentioned - mechanics in the game to keep the economy balanced. Very important part of any MMO. Just because we haven't seen the hyperinflation before the change doesn't mean we wouldn't see it soon enough, just like your list above supposes what is going to happen, but I have yet to see any change in my GF pop times.

BJ
If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 250-750k and whites for a million.

People are clamoring for cooler vehicles and ready to bleed to get better looking outfits. Charge a couple mil per vehicle and at least a mil per complete outfit.

Why not do those? Why choose to implement something that so severely impacts game play and fun factor instead?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 03:04 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 25-=750k and whites for a million.

People are clamoring for cooler vehicles and ready to bleed to get better looking outfits. Charge a couple mil per vehicle and at least a mil per complete outfit.

Why not do those? Why choose to implement something that so severely impacts game play and fun factor instead?
because that's what the cartel shop is for.... they get money instead of destroy in game currency

ZavienUK's Avatar


ZavienUK
02.14.2013 , 03:04 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by BJWyler View Post
What server are you on - my guild wouldn't have a problem helping you out if you are on The Shadowlands.

BJ
Thanks BJWyler thats very kind, I'm actually in Europe on The Red Eclipse, but I appreciate the offer

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
02.14.2013 , 03:04 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by justiceface View Post
Also my other question, why keep this if the community is largely opposed to it.
But what if a large part of the community is ok with this change and would like it to stay? As evidenced by this thread alone, there are people on both sides of this debate, and the devs cannot please everyone. They have chosen to fix a bug and not make the rest of the game match the bug.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 03:05 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
because that's what the cartel shop is for.... they get money instead of destroy in game currency
and this is all GOOD for the game... how again?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 03:05 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
I think most folks agree in general:
  • Repair costs are needed in MMO's (Not the issue - increase is the topic)
  • The "Fix" or whatever just happened jacked up the costs dramatically.
  • New costs are not clearly understood and depend on the type of gear.
  • Casual gamers and F2P folks are going to be impacted the most.
  • Progression guilds will most likely move forward no matter the cost.
The FALLOUT of this change:
  • PUG's for FP/OPS are going to decrease due to cost of doing them w/o guildies or friends
  • HOSTILE FP/OPS for PUGS will make the game generally less fun to play.
  • Less people are going to do Daily FP/OPS and this is going to have a negative impace on the game in whole.
  • Having less seasoned players running FP/OPS makes it harder for new players to learn things w/o guildies.
  • RAID Teams will most likely start capping number of tries on certain OPS due to cost limitations.

I don't mean to come across as an elitest or what not, but to be frank I'm not taking a chance on NOOB's costing me more $$ by running GF based ques without full premade groups (friends & guildies). I've been fortunate enough to make some okay money crafting, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blow what money I have on repair bills as I don't really need the gear in a majority of the HM OPS. (New Content coming soon I won't mind burning credits, but I'm saving money for that content) Right now I've stopped running GF ques with my geared Tank, Healer and two DPS unless I'm doing premade groups.

SUGGESTION: Correct the cost change and put it back to what it was (Or close) so everyone is seeing roughly the same cost as a week ago. With the new content coming down the pipe pretty quickly here I think BW has a big fork in the road here. Go LEFT and keep things "As-Is" and cost the game more players or go RIGHT and correct the change made to Pre-1.7 levels in order to keep the already unstable user base a little more "happy" until new stuff arrives.
This, finally someone making sense.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 03:05 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
and this is all GOOD for the game... how again?
i'm not saying it's good, i'm saying that's precisely the reason they don't do what you suggested.

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 03:06 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 250-750k and whites for a million.

People are clamoring for cooler vehicles and ready to bleed to get better looking outfits. Charge a couple mil per vehicle and at least a mil per complete outfit.

Why not do those? Why choose to implement something that so severely impacts game play and fun factor instead?
Because it was a legit fix. And with it probably had some reason to do econimcally as well.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 03:06 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
But what if a large part of the community is ok with this change and would like it to stay? As evidenced by this thread alone, there are people on both sides of this debate, and the devs cannot please everyone. They have chosen to fix a bug and not make the rest of the game match the bug.
Of those of you in this thread defending this bug fix, how many at any time before this bug fix went in did you say,


"The repair costs are too **** low! I demand you triple them at least!"


Hmm?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
02.14.2013 , 03:06 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
i'm sure they'll feel that 5% of playerbase who hardly ever spend anything on this game really really bad man
True enough. They've lost far more than that since launch so I'm certain they won't care. However, this will lead to a much more toxic community that will inevitably turn off new players who will be vote kicked from GF missions. There's NO good that'll come from this. None.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.