Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jasonthelamb
02.14.2013 , 10:53 AM | #11
My guild has a "credit limit" of 10,000 credits...

I just use my own money (have ~4 mil in credits on me, not counting GTN)

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 10:54 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
. This affects new players possibly so significantly that they may have to defer training of some skills for some levels.

So, yeah, great that it's no hassle for you. It's a hassle for a lot of people. Can you see beyond "you"?
As I understand it, the only change was that repair costs for oranges now properly reflect the enhancements, mods, armorings etc. in them. In other words, this affects new players not at all. Moreover, these aren't the days where people arrived at 50 broke and without speeder training 3 and their non-rotation skills untrained. Skill training is way cheaper than it used to be.

I get that this might discourage people from raiding, but it doesn't seem fair that social gear users should have to pay less than people wearing out of box end game gear. Also, the cost for anything black hole/campaign and lower will still be extremely trivial.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Valorian
02.14.2013 , 10:55 AM | #13
I have enough credits to pay for repairs for the next year at these rates. But the rates are stupid.

I'm arguing on behalf of the rookie to flashpoints who shows up in level-appropriate greens, who before this change would have been allowed to stay but now gets votekicked instantly after a gear check. Or the person who misclicks once in a flash point and gets votekicked.

I'm arguing on behalf of the new player who wants to craft as he levels up, but quickly finds he doesn't have enough money to pay for that big level of training (like 30) because he's spent so much on repairs without even noticing it.

I'm arguing on behalf of the people who want to raid in the game but don't have the time or patience or desire to WORK in a game just to get to the fun stuff.

I'm arguing to make the game better and more fun for a wide variety of players who aren't me, so this game can have more people enjoying it and live longer and grow and get better.

Someone has to do it, because EA sure as hell isn't.

Tell me... why do you think the in some cases 10-fold increase in repair costs is GOOD for the game?
I dont think your arguing I think your talking common sense, I also have enough bread to last so does not bother me either, but I am thinking of those that have limited time per evening or per week, I dont think some people realise that others have commitments and cant spend 30Hrs per week.

But i'm ok jack so dont matter, love that attitude.

Kailuchad
02.14.2013 , 10:55 AM | #14
2hours of hm ec with 3 new people equaled lots of wipes and almost a 300k repair bill, my guild does help with repair cost, but we are not a large guild. we can not afford to run an op and pay for everyone bills. Our credits are used to purchase mats, tip crafters and loans to guild members, not to provide an in game welfare system to brigde the gap of repair costs. please fix this bw.

Also agree with what is said above^^

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 10:56 AM | #15

Tell me... why do you think the in some cases 10-fold increase in repair costs is GOOD for the game?
Tell me, why do you think in some cases players should pay only a tenth of the repair costs that other players do in the same gear?
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Halacs
02.14.2013 , 11:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
As the leader of my guild

I say, run dailies, open a guild bank, deposit credits, help guild out.

But then again, I trust my guild

and a few thousand more credits isn't hurting my wallet.

Does no one realize this was a bug that has now been fixed?
This was not a bug. They made it the way it used to be back in 1.2. It's in the notes. Go look. They made it cheep back then on purpose because repair costs were out of hand.
Proper Dual spec please.
Free flying space combat
Cross server PVP, OP's, & FP's
Fix Ability Delay/misfire

tortcat
02.14.2013 , 11:17 AM | #17
Agreed. This massive increase in repair bills is way too high. I really cannot fathom the " logic" behind this as it has bene this way for about a year now..

Repair costs were fine where they were, this is way too much and even here at work, people are grumbling and saying they are going to move on as they just dont play enough ( in some cases ) to make it worth their while.

So either up the rewards costs for like space missions and heroics and dailies or put the repairs back where they have been for almost a year.

Most people dont really want to spend an hour or 2 running the same tired thing over and over just to pay for a repair bill and one l;ag spike or disco now can invalidate several dailes.

Realy poor judgement in my opinion Bioware

Ratajack
02.14.2013 , 11:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Halacs View Post
This was not a bug. They made it the way it used to be back in 1.2. It's in the notes. Go look. They made it cheep back then on purpose because repair costs were out of hand.
From the patch notes:

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

Sounds like a bug to me.

DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 11:26 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
As I understand it, the only change was that repair costs for oranges now properly reflect the enhancements, mods, armorings etc. in them. In other words, this affects new players not at all. Moreover, these aren't the days where people arrived at 50 broke and without speeder training 3 and their non-rotation skills untrained. Skill training is way cheaper than it used to be.

I get that this might discourage people from raiding, but it doesn't seem fair that social gear users should have to pay less than people wearing out of box end game gear. Also, the cost for anything black hole/campaign and lower will still be extremely trivial.
This affects new players. I have a 29 Shadow (tank) in orange gear. In that orange gear, I have level-appropriate armoring, mods, and enhancements. One death cost me a few hundred before the patch . Now it costs me almost 9,000. Tell me, what player who just started the game and has ONE level 29 character can afford 9,000 per death? They can certainly get the gear by doing the heroic planetary quests and flash points...

Tell me, why do you think in some cases players should pay only a tenth of the repair costs that other players do in the same gear?
Normally I'd reiterate my request for you to answer my question before I answer yours...

I've never seen any reports of players paying 10x what others do for repairing the same level gear with the same level of damage, so I don't really buy your point?

Now please answer my question. Why is this change good for the game? Please keep in mind that it affects all players at all levels; don't just limit your answer to a specific, small subset of the players, please.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

TralyanSavo
02.14.2013 , 11:27 AM | #20
Why is the solution to raise repair costs for everyone rather than lowering it to the same level for everyone?

Alternatively, a solution to this thing is to have trash mobs in all of the ops drop credits like they do in Asation. My raid team cleared TFB last night for the first time last night and despite being in full BH and some 27s, and wiping on the Terror a few times while learning the mechanics, the credits dropped, stuff bioanalyzed, stabilizers, etc more than paid for the repair costs. The problem is where trash doesnt drop anything at all. Of course, I dont think Bioware would consider this because this repair cost issue seems very much to be intentional in order to drain credits from the game economy.
Ryaffil (Shadow Tank, Main) - Ryaffia (Guardian) - Odinsun (Sentinel) - Mintass (Commando) - Ryaffam (Gunslinger)
Tralyan (Sorcerer) - Echeara (Juggernaut) - Cran (Mercenary) - Zobess (Operative)
Death Mark - The Shadowlands