Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Larity's Avatar


Larity
02.14.2013 , 02:26 PM | #131
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
There is, its called success vs failure. Death is a feedback loop to tell you you didn't succeed at something, Look at the PvP design in this same game. No repair costs, but death still has implications.

Between the scaled time limit to respawn and the fact that if you die you failed at what you are doing, that is sufficient feedback for most people to choose to avoid doing it.
If you die a lot, then look at why you are dying, think of other things to do to increase your chance at success and then execute it.

And they give many MANY ways for anyone to handle any situations.

Group wiping, figure out why.

Someone screwing you over, remove or fix the problem.

Group not geared enough? Don't run that flashpoint/operation/heroic and go gear up.

Its not that hard.

DorkTrooper's Avatar


DorkTrooper
02.14.2013 , 02:27 PM | #132
This is going to kill PUG ops. People were already having tantrums over 5-7k repair costs.

I don't mind running dailies to a point, but I'm not going to devote 2-3 hours per day to dailies before I even get to do the endgame content I really enjoy. So yeah, cutting back on that.

My tanks won't be popping those op queues nearly so often. Not complaining, just stating a fact.

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:27 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by justiceface View Post
I get it. Reading is hard. So i'll repeat myself. The change is only for moddable gear, the change is not just affecting moddable gear. Most of the community doesnt want it, most of the community seems to hate it. What is the justification for the change?
the fact that it's not only affecting moddable gear IS a bug

however that's not what a LOT of people are complaining about, the majority of people are complaining about the increase in cost in general, the increase in cost isn't hard to get around.

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 02:27 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
cash sinks exist in every game, just because you have to work to get around the cash sink now doesn't make it bad design

the only thing that makes it "bad design" is the fact that it was nearly a year of it not being this way.

If the repair costs were the same as they are now the whole time, it wouldn't be an issue
I disagree.

Cash sinks exist to offset cash creation due to mechanics. I.E. they make the economy balance out so there isn't hyperinflation.

That is the only reason they exist in games. Because you can create money (through killing things/etc) there has to be a place money is destroyed. That can be through buying skills, legacy unlocks or the like.

The only reason to increase a cash sink is if there is an in balance in the in game economy and you start seeing hyperinflation. (i.e. people having enough disposable income that even basic goods go for a lot of money) As far as I can tell from monitoring the GTN, no such imbalance currently exists. Hence why a change of this nature is completely unnecessary.

In fact eliminating the dailies entirely would lessen the need for repair costs as there would be less credit faucets.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Elfindreams's Avatar


Elfindreams
02.14.2013 , 02:29 PM | #135
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
If you die a lot, then look at why you are dying, think of other things to do to increase your chance at success and then execute it.

And they give many MANY ways for anyone to handle any situations.

Group wiping, figure out why.

Someone screwing you over, remove or fix the problem.

Group not geared enough? Don't run that flashpoint/operation/heroic and go gear up.

Its not that hard.
Read much? I didn't complain about dying to much. I was pointing out that you don't need a money sink to provide additional feedback to keep people from wanting to die. It is inherent in the act itself.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Levity's Avatar


Levity
02.14.2013 , 02:29 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Money can be made in this game. I certainly have a decent pile of credits. Not everyone does.

And it doesn't need to go back to the way it was. If using non-modded gear was costing ridiculous amounts in credits to repair, then that should be reduced, not everyone else's raised.

If people aren't willing to try things and die then you get:
- harsher reactions to clueless newbies (and that's already bad enough so making it worse is definitely not a good direction)
- fewer attempts at ops bosses
- fewer guilds doing progression ops

There's no good reason to raise these costs. None.
My guild, and countless other friends of mine and their guilds, will always push progression. So no I don't think fewer that many guilds will care like the ones who posted here.

tortcat's Avatar


tortcat
02.14.2013 , 02:30 PM | #137
Again, why would ANYONE want to pay more for something?

That's the issue in a nutshell. it's been this way for a year, now its much higher but I get no benefit form this ( nor does anyone of course).

I cannot really understand why anyone would not have some issue with this. Perhaps next time you buy something in game, just pay double, as if paying alot more for the same thing you have had for a year doesn't matter then why not just pay more for everything?

DarthVenizen's Avatar


DarthVenizen
02.14.2013 , 02:30 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfindreams View Post
Read much? I didn't complain about dying to much. I was pointing out that you don't need a money sink to provide additional feedback to keep people from wanting to die. It is inherent in the act itself.
Yes you do, there needs to be some penalty to death other then a wipe

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
02.14.2013 , 02:31 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
My guild, and countless other friends of mine and their guilds, will always push progression. So no I don't think fewer that many guilds will care like the ones who posted here.
I said fewer, not none. There will be some guilds who continue, but go check some of the other threads. A lot of guilds have suspended their ops till this is sorted out. That's fewer.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

justiceface's Avatar


justiceface
02.14.2013 , 02:32 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVenizen View Post
the fact that it's not only affecting moddable gear IS a bug

however that's not what a LOT of people are complaining about, the majority of people are complaining about the increase in cost in general, the increase in cost isn't hard to get around.
Truth but he/she was replying to my posts and I mentioned the bugs.

Also I don't see a good justification for this. No one is asking for free flying ponies, people don't like the change, the change isn't beneficial to the game and no one requested it. So I ask again, why not get rid of it?