Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LarryRow
02.19.2013 , 09:30 AM | #1081
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
In other words, you're giving EA credit for thinking ahead and planning on this one? I think you're giving them way too much credit.
Hey, now! Accusing me of complimenting EA is tantamount to libel! I'm actually giving Bioware the credit (for taking my credits...). EA just cares about the bottom line. I seriously doubt they have much of a hand in the day-to-day balance decisions the dev team makes.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
A few posts back, there was a poster who said he waited 1.5 hours for an HM FP to pop. What did he do doing that 1.5 hours? I don't know. He didn't say. I would not be surprised to find out he sat on the fleet typing in chat. I'm not saying that he did sit on fleet, only that I would not be surprised if he did. I do know that in that 1.5 hours, he could have completed at least 2 planets worth of dailies and earned well over 100k, probably closer to 200k. He didn't have to give up a night of raiding, or even a day of HM FP's. All he would have been doing is using the time he was already waiting to earn a few credits.
Remember when we used to be able to queue for a flashpoint and then do warzones while we waited? You know warzones, those things that are fun, award credits, and don't cost anything. I miss those times.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

ivanhedgehog
02.19.2013 , 09:33 AM | #1082
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
I'm sure there is a bug and the increases should not be as big as they are but I'm only talking about levelling and not end game. So in answer to your suggestion, no thanks, I've said my piece but as you can only see my tests as invalid, or lies, as they don't support your cause, it shows really that you are not interested in the truth only furthering your agenda on wanting a return to pre 1.7 level repairs. Good luck with the crusade.
Anyone that has ever dealt with science or research understands that your test must be repeatable by others. Others are giving different results, which throws doubt on your conclusions.

DarthTHC
02.19.2013 , 09:33 AM | #1083
This is more of a mindset issue. One of the most common things I'm seeing in this thread is the "It's a game. I should be able to do only the 'fun' stuff. I refuse to do anything I see as 'work'." That is a mindset. More specifically, that is an entitled mindset.
It's so fun to throw that word around, isn't it? It's a great word. A word that's fun to use as an insult because people think it makes them sound like "smart" politicians.

But you're using the word incorrectly.

You see, here in SWTOR, we players - most of the ones complaining about this "bug" "fix" - PAY to play the game. It's a service we pay a company for.

Now "entitled" means the expectation of getting something for NOTHING. For reference, imagine a woman sitting on a couch in government funded housing eating canned frosting the government paid for, talking on the cell phone the government paid for, watching Oprah, and gestating her 9th out-of-wedlock baby the father for whom she cannot identify because there are simply too many candidates, and for which the government will pay all medical costs. THAT is entitlement.

That's not how we're thinking. We want to keep PAYING our money to play this game. However, we do not want to PAY for a game that FORCES us to do tedious, boring, unchallenging things for an inordinate amount of time just so we can get to the FUN part of the game for us, which is the challenge of raiding.

That's not entitlement. That's asking for what you pay for.

Ratajack
02.19.2013 , 09:35 AM | #1084
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
Anyone that has ever dealt with science or research understands that your test must be repeatable by others. Others are giving different results, which throws doubt on your conclusions.
That's true. His results are different than those "others" which throws doubt on their conclusions, by your own standards.

DarthTHC
02.19.2013 , 09:37 AM | #1085
That's true. His results are different than those "others" which throws doubt on their conclusions, by your own standards.
The proper conclusion is that it affects different players with different specific setups of gear differently. So those denying the existence of a problem are not processing the available data correctly.

That's like someone living in Arizona not believing the oceans exist.

danielearley
02.19.2013 , 09:41 AM | #1086
Code:
Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post
OP : locked for SEVEN DAYS. Dailies : locked for ONE DAY. OP : you need 7-15 folks with you. Dailies : you need to find 2 folks for ONE QUEST (3/4 if you're not overgeared). OP : not down within the first days for a vast majority of payers. Dailies : done after your first try, within hurs. Running the same old OP cleared 20 times is boring, but who cleared Denova NiM 20 times already ? You'd need several atls and a really good guilde.
Quote: Originally Posted by Hovergame View Post

Not everyone has a good guild! As pointed out OPS locked for 7 days what do you do after that?

Code:
Ok, let's put the HARDCORE mode : when you die, your char is deleted. What, you don't like it ? But "I personally don't believe things should be easy, without a penalty there is no risk, so no incentive to learn tactics understand team work."
it's a lovely thought but a bit extreme, rather bad comparison!

Code:
We are REALLY happy for you that you find your way of playing. You're just saying "I like to grind, so I don't mind to pay more for repairs, suck to be you if you don't". Thank you for this useless comment about your life.
Finding things a grind is in your head, sadly you want everything to be given to you without any effort!

Code:
You probably never tried Denova NiM and never downed that raid. Thank you for that another useless comment.
Did Denova HM back when the best gear was Rakata and you couldn't buy your 63 mods for 1mill (one mod enough to repair for a while!) O yeah and the repair bill were much higher! We carried on raiding ....

Code:
Noone cares ?
I don't care that you don't care!

DarthTHC
02.19.2013 , 09:43 AM | #1087
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Hey, now! Accusing me of complimenting EA is tantamount to libel! I'm actually giving Bioware the credit (for taking my credits...). EA just cares about the bottom line. I seriously doubt they have much of a hand in the day-to-day balance decisions the dev team makes
BioWare exists now in name only. The brilliant company that was BioWare began to die when EA purchased them and completed its death spiral when the Doctors departed EA late last year.

It's all EA now.

danielearley
02.19.2013 , 09:44 AM | #1088
I Agree that from the evidence people are showing, there is some disparity in the repair bill depending on the gear people are wearing. This should be addressed, but I still don't think 6-10k for a wipe is to high a price to pay.

Ratajack
02.19.2013 , 09:48 AM | #1089
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
It's so fun to throw that word around, isn't it? It's a great word. A word that's fun to use as an insult because people think it makes them sound like "smart" politicians.

But you're using the word incorrectly.

You see, here in SWTOR, we players - most of the ones complaining about this "bug" "fix" - PAY to play the game. It's a service we pay a company for.

Now "entitled" means the expectation of getting something for NOTHING. For reference, imagine a woman sitting on a couch in paid-for government housing eating canned frosting the government paid for, talking on the cell phone the government paid for, watching Oprah, and gestating her 9th out-of-wedlock baby, for which the government will pay all medical costs. THAT is entitlement.

That's not how we're thinking. We want to keep PAYING our money to play this game. However, we do not want to PAY for a game that FORCES us to do tedious, boring, unchallenging things for an inordinate amount of time just so we can get to the FUN part of the game for us, which is the challenge of raiding.

That's not entitlement. That's asking for what you pay for.
Entitled does not mean just "expecting to get something for nothing" . It may also be "expecting to get something for less effort than someone else", or even "expecting to get something just because you want it".

If person A does dailies or find another way to earn credits to pay for the new higher repair costs, but person B simply refuses to do so and screams for those repair costs to be lowered, then in my opinion person b has an entitled mindset. If person A logs in and queues for an FP and does dailies while waiting for it to pop, but person B logs in and queues for an FP but chooses to sit in fleet while waiting for it to pop, then in my opinion person B has an entitled mindset, especially if he wants to complain about the higher repair costs and ask for them be lowered.

DarthTHC
02.19.2013 , 09:52 AM | #1090
Entitled does not mean just "expecting to get something for nothing" . It may also be "expecting to get something for less effort than someone else", or even "expecting to get something just because you want it".

If person A does dailies or find another way to earn credits to pay for the new higher repair costs, but person B simply refuses to do so and screams for those repair costs to be lowered, then in my opinion person b has an entitled mindset. If person A logs in and queues for an FP and does dailies while waiting for it to pop, but person B logs in and queues for an FP but chooses to sit in fleet while waiting for it to pop, then in my opinion person B has an entitled mindset, especially if he wants to complain about the higher repair costs and ask for them be lowered.
Why do you think a game should force tedious, boring, unfun things on its paying customers?

In what universe would someone who's paying for entertainment continue to pay for that?

Do you have to sweep the floors in a movie theater after buying your ticket?

Person B is either entertained by the dailies or... something. Too stupid to realize he's not having fun?