Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Taratahi
02.18.2013 , 07:16 PM | #1041
Doing the Ilum dailies and OPS has just become a very painfull investment of time AND BLOODY CREDITSSSSSSSS. Lost in one day alone 300K! That's more than doing all the dailies combined!
It's not even worth doing anything anymore besides grinding those dailies, with prices for high lvl items( barrels, mods, armoring, enhancements, etc..) you might as well go back f2p and pay some kid the same money you used for sub to do your dailies untill you feel like playing again. Even with the Guild Bank it's easy to store it there as f2p.

I hope they'll compensate this otherwise, screw this and bye bye another subscriber.

RiVaN_
02.18.2013 , 07:19 PM | #1042
Quote: Originally Posted by gamorrean View Post
Any news on this would be greatfull, but one thing i do have to say to BW/EA is....PTS would have solved this way before this blatant huge BUG, i swear with the amount of bugs in this game it should be renamed Starship troopers online.
I love the reference!
Yeah, I wonder when they will get around to fixing some of the things that have been broken since day one and never fixed...

mothear
02.18.2013 , 08:04 PM | #1043
Quote: Originally Posted by Taratahi View Post
Doing the Ilum dailies and OPS has just become a very painfull investment of time AND BLOODY CREDITSSSSSSSS. Lost in one day alone 300K! That's more than doing all the dailies combined!
It's not even worth doing anything anymore besides grinding those dailies, with prices for high lvl items( barrels, mods, armoring, enhancements, etc..) you might as well go back f2p and pay some kid the same money you used for sub to do your dailies untill you feel like playing again. Even with the Guild Bank it's easy to store it there as f2p.

I hope they'll compensate this otherwise, screw this and bye bye another subscriber.
You've got me confused. You're willing to spend 1m+ credits to buy one enhancement/mod but you're not willing to spend 300k in an attempt to down a boss and get a piece of gear with an enhancement/armor/mod of equivalent level? Strange logic.

bokzter
02.18.2013 , 09:29 PM | #1044
Why give us the ability to put end game mods etc into any custom level gear so we can all create our own appearance if you are then going to penalise in the form of repairs based on the shells we like the look of?

Repairs should be consistent based on modifications only, not the shells.

I'm on the same page as many. I have limited time to play this game which I devote mostly to raiding, with a single planets dailies run er week to fill the credit gap if necessary. Thanks to TFB actually dropping a decent credit pile, my need to do dailies had dropped even more which was a pleasant surprise that came with the addition of that instance.

Please either drop loot in ops that should cover a reasonable amount of repairs or reduce the repair costs again. I cannot maintain my raid calendar with a dailies calendar on top. Not only do I not have the time to grind but also don't consider this fun...

Scorpassailant
02.18.2013 , 11:39 PM | #1045
I wont be unsubbing but I certainly won't be running dailies and more with my mains.

Irxyyy
02.18.2013 , 11:43 PM | #1046
Yesterday was the 1st day since I resubbed 2 months ago when I wasn't able to do a fp hm daily via group finder, waited for about 1,5 hours, and that's about as much as I can spare on a game on most days.

I think people who defend these repair costs simply underestimate the impact of casual gamers on the game. Yup, I bet its not a problem to grind a few hours more for dedicated players, but some of us have no time nor the will to do it. I understand that some content and rewards should require extensive time and effort, thus I'll probably never get a dread guard set for any of my toons, but recent changes limit my ability to do most of the endgame (hm fp and sm ops), which is really not good for everyone, even dedicated players who still depend on the total game population.
// believing is bleeding

KebabBandit
02.19.2013 , 01:08 AM | #1047
Quote: Originally Posted by Irxyyy View Post
I think people who defend these repair costs simply underestimate the impact of casual gamers on the game.
I agree. I think I understand why some people here are defending the modified costs, but so far I haven't seen any new people/ casual players voice their opinion in support of this change. I think that is pretty indicative of how it is being received in general. For casual players, the game is simply less accessible. I consider myself a casual player; SWTOR is my first MMO. They never appealed to me, partially because almost none of my friends play video/computer games, and partially because I had the notion that MMOs are inevitably grind-based if you want to be competitive. I'm nearing the end of my two-month subscription, and I was on the fence about renewing. Perhaps my biggest gripes are that I feel like I am either being pushed to buy cartel coins (I DID get the $10 pack, now I feel stupid) or being pushed to grind. And in my opinion the game's story (while enjoyable) isn't good enough by itself to justify the money I paid for it. In order for to stay the game needs to be more accessible to me. These repair costs are designed for savvy and dedicated players; the time commitment and learning curve are too severe for casual players to really take part in the game. And while most of the people I've talked to in game are pretty cool cats, there are enough people that are intolerant of new and inexperienced players to make the game less accessible.

I don't think this breaks the game, but the cost of this change is players' time and the attitude toward newer players. Time learning to make credits more effectively, and then doing it- again and again and again. I've seen some here say the game just throws credits at you and that people need to just need to stop dinking around and start grabbing it. Fair enough. But it is a significant time investment nonetheless. Either becoming a worthwhile crafter, endlessly repeating daily missions, etc. And understandably, in regards to repair costs, players don't want to foot a hefty bill for others' mistakes. While I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed much of SWTOR, and $15/mo isn't much money, it still isn't accessible enough for me to personally justify paying for it; the portions I enjoy are too diluted with activities I find repetitive, boring, and now punishing. Now I feel like the rift between veteran players and casual players is just going to get bigger. I don't know how to make a perfect MMO (too accessible and you alienate veteran players, too steep a learning curve/time investment and you scare away casual players), but I feel like this fix was a step in the wrong direction. Also, I'm probably just not cut out for MMOs (I can just hear people telling me how much SWTOR holds my hand now compared to beta/such-and-such other mmo)

Ifolad
02.19.2013 , 01:11 AM | #1048
SOLUTION: Put them all at less values close to what the bugged amount was. Regardless of how they used to be (YES i do remember last year ) high repair costs are rediculous and shouldn't be part of the obstacle of overcoming end game content. THE CONTENT should be the obstacle.

slafko
02.19.2013 , 01:37 AM | #1049
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
You've got me confused. You're willing to spend 1m+ credits to buy one enhancement/mod but you're not willing to spend 300k in an attempt to down a boss and get a piece of gear with an enhancement/armor/mod of equivalent level? Strange logic.
You failed to take into account the 1 in 8 chance he has to get said item once it drops, if it drops.

Zipacnaa
02.19.2013 , 03:30 AM | #1050
So a tiny response 3 days ago from our ever present Community Ignorer sorry Manager- , then DEFENING SILENCE.
If I performed my job to the same standards that he does I'd have been out of a job already.

Not that I'm surprised though. All previuos promises to interact more have all turned out to be empty words.

Meanwhile those that continue to play are sinking their credits into repairs. At least that part of your plan BW is working as intended.