Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So... Ilum pvp/pve

DarkIord
02.13.2013 , 10:46 AM | #1
I'm not sure what was expected by Bioware with this addition to the game, but I know this is an area of constant debate. We have the PvE players who in all reality just wish to get their daily done and be out, but then you have the PvP players who enjoy the constant battles they can find in a PvP zone. This has eventually led to multiple chat related arguments and disagreements. There's also the issue relating to the middle located heroic that seems to get camped by PvP'ers whom decide who can "pass". What does the community think of this situation? Is camping and killing people that only wish to get their quest completed wrong? Should people expect ganks, hardships, and sadness in a pvp zone? Should there be a more civilized system to go about this? I'm just curious and would like to hear thoughts from both sides.
Dragon

Youngster
02.13.2013 , 11:09 AM | #2
Welcome to ilum
worse sentinel ever

Reynaga
02.13.2013 , 11:25 AM | #3
The quests are marked pvp or pve. The heroic quest can be done in either. Yes it is easier in the pvp area but that should just encourage people to group together (an alien concept I know, especially in an MMO these days. Some of us remember having to group in order to be able to do anything like quest or level). That is all there is honestly. If you go into the pvp area expect to die.

Some people have personal rules about how to treat others, because they would like the same level of respect. Other people are only here to kill people because that is why they pvp and it makes it fun for them, seeing as this is a game I can't fault them for it or get angry.

I generally wont fight anyone unless I get attacked, my group gets attacked, or my group attacks (which makes me find people I am more in line with). But getting upset over an area that is basically a free for all, well everyone is entitled to think what they want.

As youngster said, welcome to Ilum.
The Korbin Legacy B.C.
"When fighting monsters, one must take care not to become a monster themselves." F. N.

Desiirea
02.13.2013 , 12:08 PM | #4
I got caught in the crossfires of this myself yesterday. I was with a couple other people and watched one of my friends get brutally slaughtered by my tank. Talk about a catch 22! LOL

I feel really bad about that.. but at the same time it is a PvP area and those that like to PvP have been waiting for a long time for some action outside of warzones. I see both points of view. And while I didn't like seeing my friend slaughtered, the people I was with were not wrong for doing it, even if it wasn't exactly fun for the victim.

Here's the thing. It's a PvP marked area on a PvE server. Yes I know you want to get it done but it's completely optional content. And it being a PvP area is PART OF THAT CONTENT. The dev's purposely made it that way. If they wanted folks to have a choice about the pvp aspect they would of put it in a PvE area where PvP minded folks could choose to flag themselves and go at it while the PvE folks could go about their biz in peace. You may not like it but it is what it is. Go scream at the devs if you want it different. Not the folks just playing the way it was meant to be.

Folks are going to have to understand when they walk into a pvp area you are choosing to get yourself flagged and play with PvP mindsets. It's not people being mean or picking on you or whatever. It's a game. And even if they are playing it a different way then you that doesn't make them jerks or ***holes. They just want the thrill of the fight that comes with trying to get their quests done. It adds another element. They can't stop and ask every person they walk by "you wanna pvp". No one asked me if I wanted to be killed or attacked when I got attacked. LOL and they shouldn't have to. Being jumped unexpectedly/jumping someone else is a main tactic for some classes from stealth!

Point is.. get together with some other people. Understand you might get brutally slaughtered. Maybe you grab a bunch of your friends and go after that person that smashed your face in if they really pissed you off. But don't be crying foul when people are simply playing content as the devs intended. That's unfair.

Edit: I don't corpse camp. (And for those that don't understand this concept that is sitting on someone, and killing them over and over so they completely can't continue to play the game or level entirely on that toon. If you can leave the area and go do something else... you are not being camped.) And I wouldn't do that. That's just mean. But killing folks as they run by or sit on objectives or whatever... that's just PvP.
Desiirea, The Cookiegoddess Legacy - Seer Sage
You don't know the power of the Desi side
Server 1st Elite Warlord - Server 1st 16-man Infernal
Cookies4Ever

EFSoupy
02.13.2013 , 12:12 PM | #5
It was interesting to watch. Some people would stick around and help mow down targets as they spawned for quests, help cover friendlies in the pvp area and others would ninja orbs while you're fighting the boss, hit marking a mob then leaving you with aggro to kill it, etc. It's interesting to watch how people behave when there's a matter of getting things done a little quicker.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

Riggz
02.13.2013 , 12:12 PM | #6
It's simple for me

Imps = help them out whenever I can

Pubs = kill them whenever I can
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

stringcat
02.13.2013 , 12:19 PM | #7
It's a PVP area. Asking for it to be otherwise is like asking for NM EC to be nerfed so that war hero-geared PVPers can beat it. . If you don't like PVP, the content's intended not for you, so you can expect to be uncomfortable if you want to get the rewards anyway. It's not the fault of the people playing the way the developers intended.

Same-faction kills are totally legitimate. They are competitors for the carrots just like opposite-faction. It's group-v-group content, not faction-v-faction.

Waiting in line -- that is despicable and destroys all the charm of the area, turning it into a stupid grindfest. And yeah, you're hurting others as well as yourself because you are contributing to a toxic social expectation that people shouldn't fight over objectives and bring PVP to the PVP quests.

Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

Devinia-Hex
02.13.2013 , 12:57 PM | #8
I came from PVP servers and leveled my Sage on a High Imp population Server so everywhere I went I ran into them and normally in numbers greater than 2. I normally will leave 49 and below alone unless they are in a group and could possibly prove to be troublesome of course if they shoot first then all bets are off. I won't camp them and will get what I need and get out as Daily quest are not my favorite thing to do.
Dashara Bergen Colony Devinia Hex The Bastion

DarkIord
02.13.2013 , 12:59 PM | #9
So playing kind of the devil's advocate here, do you think it "fair" that most of you contributing to defending the current event all in fact come from big time pvp guilds? Wouldn't the fact that it's easier for you to group with geared company and easily control the zone lead to a negative experience for a different player? From my personal experience I noticed a lot of prominant guilds were the ones controlling the flow of the area. Personally, my opinion isn't in either direction, but I feel this feedback may prove insightful for other folks.
Dragon

Kublakai
02.13.2013 , 01:06 PM | #10
mmm world PvP zone.....
To be honest most of the QQ/b****ing I have heard since rejoining SWTOR is that world PVP is nil. Now that we have world PVP again there's more QQ. Lets just be honest no game will ever make everyone happy, if you don't like PVP or think it's not worth the trouble, simply don't go there.

My only complaint is I can't gank my guildies.....I don't want to have to /gquit every time I see Taldari solo-questing <3 u Tal ya darn polock.

P.S. I wonder if they will ever add rewards for world PVP killing. i.e. WoW gave honor for world PVP kills, maybe some warzone comms would be nice, but not a biggie just a thought.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the gosh darn valley..