Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Read this to understand the cover system.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Read this to understand the cover system.

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
12.15.2011 , 04:43 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EasternWind View Post
I agree with every statement you made.
Cool!

Quote: Originally Posted by EasternWind View Post
Oh and final tip:

Remap the A and D keys as strafe left and right. Use your mouse for turning and looking.

This class will take time to master if you've never played a class that has some limited mobility behind it(Engineer from warhammer anyone?).
Well, as it turns out, I wrote a Guide on Keybinding and Strafing too:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-...d-keybindings/
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
12.15.2011 , 04:46 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ikkeditnavn View Post
I'm with Taugrim here.

And I'll add something that I half fear and half look forward to, but can't prove.

Many of those that dismiss the cover system will start being pretty mad once they see it in play from someone who can use it to it's fullest. "Huh? That Agent just rolled all over the place with instant shots at me, then he pinned me and I couldn't charge him." Ok, a bit extreme, but it is a human thing to go 'if I can't make it work, nobody can, thus if someone appears to do so, they must cheat/hack/whatever', or the alternative that people simply don't want to be wrong and so deny the possibility because they have now staked something in the matter (you would be surprised to see how much this factors into big business, stupid actions are perpetuated and built upon because the leadership can't afford to admit their failure).
The amount of misinformation and complaining I'm reading on various forums about Cover is motivating me to create content to help people understand how it works.

Clear information will help people not assume things like "oh that person is cheating".

Quote: Originally Posted by daiominai View Post
The problem I see is that a lot of people are wanting easy mode. The classes that use the cover mechanic are the hardest classes to play because it turns the mmo in to a thinking man's game instead of simply run and gun
At least for GS / Sniper, I disagree that they're the "hardest classes to play". The main thing to sort out is how & when to use Cover, and after you have that figured out, the rest is straightforward IMO.

The "Warrior" archetypes (JK/SW) currently are much harder and less forgiving in PVP at low-mid levels, given that they get their stun/incapacitate CCs later than the other 6 AC archetypes.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Ikkeditnavn's Avatar


Ikkeditnavn
12.15.2011 , 07:45 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by taugrimtaugrim View Post
Clear information will help people not assume things like "oh that person is cheating".
I agree. You are quite clearly more skilled than I am (well at least for now), I can still see the potential of the system. People need to learn, and I think you showcase it very well without resorting to things that most people can't achieve. Cover is currently seen as a major limitation because so few have much experience with it, and what they have is poor (warzones where other people who are new to it, use cover is a less effective way).