Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this the last Star Wars MMO?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is this the last Star Wars MMO?

LordRaeth
02.11.2013 , 09:35 AM | #1
Do you think SWTOR is the last Star Wars MMO or will another one come about? I was thinking a mmo set during the clone wars could be cool, or with Disney about to start up another three movies, maybe in that time period?

rngeasterling
02.11.2013 , 09:38 AM | #2
Star Wars is one of the most popular fantasy/sci fi franchises out there. I am sure that SWTOR will last for many years and then another star wars mmo will replace it.

kirorx
02.11.2013 , 10:43 AM | #3
IMO. Yes, this is final one.

SWG failed miserablly and while i personally enjoyed both SWG and SWTOR, this game has had a hard time holding sub numbers.

I think Starwars makes an awesome mmo, but I am afraid the the big wigs will look at SWG and look at SWTOR and unless SWTOR starts pushing out the massive numbers, they will pass.

I think we will see more console games with RP elements and probally a battelfront 3 well before we see anything like a starwars mmo again.

Then again, who really knows.....I guess we can all hope. Alot of people held onto hope for episode 7, 8 and 9, and now its going to happen . I admit i did not anticipate that.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

Master-Nala
02.11.2013 , 10:52 AM | #4
It may be the last 'traditional' MMORPG. But I doubt it's the last online game with a Star Wars setting. I suspect MMOs as we know them today will evolve and then there will be a need for a new Star Wars.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni, Hard-Top, Arbaaz & Psionicist
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami (BH), Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thefia, & Chisami (IA)

Groncho
02.11.2013 , 11:07 AM | #5
SWG 2
massive engine+HQ graphics
sandbox+this instances
= profit
Ch
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

Beniboybling
02.11.2013 , 12:07 PM | #6
Definitely not. I mean, maybe for the next decade but from what I've been seeing, online access in video games is become more and more popular, not just in the form of MMOs. The new Sim City for example, has a 'global market' with player cities across the world all interconnected. And then there's Skyrim, which is producing Skyrim Online. In many franchises it just seems the next logical step.

Basically what I'm saying is as more and more normal videogames start sporting online features and popular franchise beginning producing MMOs, people won't find MMOs so daunting anymore and they'll become more popular. Over the next half century Star Wars isn't going to miss out on that party. I doubt we'll see another any time soon, but yeah, this will not be the last.

If I were to make a guess on what it would be, something like SWG 2. I haven't actually played it but it seemed pretty successful. With the movies on their way and new Star Wars material flowing in I think another MMO set in the original trilogy period might not be a bad idea.

Jonoku
02.11.2013 , 12:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Groncho View Post
SWG 2
massive engine+HQ graphics
sandbox+this instances
= profit
After star wars 7,8, and 9.

Ifolad
02.11.2013 , 01:09 PM | #8
no, the SWG NGE EMU, (sorry for the long anagram) should be fully functional in the next year. If NGE didn't float your boat i know that the PRECU EMU for SWG has gotten the problem with mission terminals and quest givers fixed so we can now grind our TK bounty hunter healers all we like

Jeffor
02.11.2013 , 02:25 PM | #9
Nope. As long as someone can make a buck they will continue to put out related MMOs. With a new series of movies comeing out I almost guarantee a new SW MMO sometime down the road. It will be a while though. This game will be around for a few years.
LotRO: Jeffaman/Lilnooblet/Jeffrandir/Cephus-Brandywine Server
SWG: Cephus/Herodotus Tchuck'Tchuck'aachoo-Ahazi Server (At one with the force)
SWTOR: Cephus TchukTchukAchoo-Jedi Sentinel-The Swiftsure Server
Farewell SWG Gone but not forgotten S238

Pirana
02.11.2013 , 03:21 PM | #10
No. Not after the Disney acquisition.

As much as I loved SWG, it was time for a change. And it wasn't long ago that this game was circling the proverbial drain in regards to subscriptions. A number of improvements have been made, and more end game content has been added and will continue to do so.

Disney will be watching anything Star Wars related to see if they can capitalize on it. There's little doubt they've done their analyses in regards to the ebbs and flows of this game. Whether this game falters in the near future or not, I would bet the house there will be another Star Wars mmo. With Disney at the helm, the possibilities are limitless.

The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana