Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please reduce the length of time that a person can hold the huttball

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Please reduce the length of time that a person can hold the huttball

Eggsalicious
02.10.2013 , 11:36 AM | #1
...to like 20-30 seconds max.

This would make it a better game.

~Eggsalicious

Mossesman
02.10.2013 , 11:44 AM | #2
Thats actually a good idea imo.

/signed
Eathos - Commando | Norzrik - Guardian
Kezron - Scoundrel | Ashinelle - Shadow

V-Serp
02.10.2013 , 11:55 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Eggsalicious View Post

~Eggsalicious
I think the only times I've ever seen someone hold the ball that long are when the other team fell asleep or when one team is holding the ball to win at the end, and the ball carrier is getting guarded, healed, and the entire enemy team is getting taunted. And even then I would say the ball holder and team are probably completely outplaying the opponents in that situation.

You would want the ball carrier to just get killed for you instead? Why?

Darka
02.10.2013 , 12:06 PM | #4
Given how messy the game is now, and how that no one really passes or when they do its to a random team mate i dont see how much of an improvement it would be.
Maybe if the course was shorter a "shot clock" type of thing would work

AsheraII
02.10.2013 , 12:30 PM | #5
Only if the ball was turned into a bomb that would detonate if a player held it for too long. In which case: make it an AOE with a 30 meter blastradius dealing 60k damage or something like that, for tactical purposes and laughs.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Eggsalicious
02.10.2013 , 01:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by V-Serp View Post
I think the only times I've ever seen someone hold the ball that long
You are confused. Players routinely hold the ball for much longer than 20-30 seconds, and because of this there is no incentive to pass.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
Given how messy the game is now, and how that no one really passes or when they do its to a random team mate i dont see how much of an improvement it would be.
Maybe if the course was shorter a "shot clock" type of thing would work
Precisely. This would place emphasis on better passing, and have exactly the same effect as your a shot clock.

Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
Only if the ball was turned into a bomb that would detonate if a player held it for too long
It already does, but sure, everyone else blowing up too is a friendly amendment.

~Eggs

Hardwear
02.10.2013 , 02:25 PM | #7

Why?

Huttball is similar to football imagine if you could only run the ball for a set amount of time before you had to pass it.

I don't see what purpose this would serve and you didn't give any explanation as to why you think this is a good idea.
Squadron: 1020 367

Hardwear
02.10.2013 , 02:43 PM | #8
Precisely. This would place emphasis on better passing, and have exactly the same effect as your a shot clock.
Oh ok thats why.. posted after you gave explanation.

In my opinion though a change like this would me made in reaction to incompetent players who are more focused on death matching then actuallyy playing the game.

Those people are going to be incompetent regardless of any change.

Eggsalicious
02.10.2013 , 02:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
Why?

Huttball is similar to football imagine if you could only run the ball for a set amount of time before you had to pass it.

I don't see what purpose this would serve and you didn't give any explanation as to why you think this is a good idea.
Football also has stoppages of play, which Huttball does not.

To answer your second question, there are a number of reasons why this would be a good idea. These include: that it would create a more dynamic game than 'everyone trail behind the bulldozer,' and that it would help equalize the viability of classes as ball carriers, in so-doing stopping or at least curtailing the current trend in Huttball matches--which is making people not want to play Huttball.

Bit of a run-on sentence there, but it's 6 a.m.

~Eggs

Hardwear
02.10.2013 , 04:02 PM | #10
Football also has stoppages of play, which Huttball does not.

To answer your second question, there are a number of reasons why this would be a good idea. These include: that it would create a more dynamic game than 'everyone trail behind the bulldozer,' and that it would help equalize the viability of classes as ball carriers, in so-doing stopping or at least curtailing the current trend in Huttball matches--which is making people not want to play Huttball.

Bit of a run-on sentence there, but it's 6 a.m.

~Eggs
I hear what you're saying and I'm not saying it's bad, but in my experience people want familiarity and simplicity.

People hate Huttball, because they are used to capture the flag hold and defend type gameplay tactics Huttball is a departure from what people are used to.

Part of the problem with Huttball is there is often no one to throw to because people are too busy death matching not sure if increasing the difficulty is going to change this behavior.