Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hybrid or full Balance?


bryceman's Avatar


bryceman
02.10.2013 , 05:16 AM | #1
So when I take a gander at the balance tree, I see a bunch of stuff that seems like a waste for a operation like the top ability Sever Force. I have always gone up to the talents that make the dots hit harder then go on over to tele to get the faster tele throw casts. Can someone explain to me why picking up sever force would be worth giving up a faster tele throw AND possible faster force regen with Concentration? I parse pretty well and if going full balance might add some dps then I am willing to change some things up.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.10.2013 , 11:40 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by bryceman View Post
So when I take a gander at the balance tree, I see a bunch of stuff that seems like a waste for a operation like the top ability Sever Force. I have always gone up to the talents that make the dots hit harder then go on over to tele to get the faster tele throw casts. Can someone explain to me why picking up sever force would be worth giving up a faster tele throw AND possible faster force regen with Concentration? I parse pretty well and if going full balance might add some dps then I am willing to change some things up.
For starters, concentration is useless even in the hybrid build. TK Throw is your filler in either full balance or the top parsing hybrid (1/12/28). Using Disturbance, even with a Presence of Mind proc, is a DPS loss from just spamming TK Throw. Using Disturbance for force regen is just a complete waste. Whatever build you choose (assuming it isn't full TK), dump concentration, stop using Disturbance, and you will see an increase in your DPS.

As for why someone would prefer a full balance build, Sever Force is a better ability than you think it is. It has a very high damage per cast time, and in operation encounters like Toth and Zorn or Firebrand and Stormcaller, being able to throw Weaken Mind and Creeping Terror on both bosses vastly increases your DPS. Also, it can be cast on the run, which makes a full balance spec more mobile than the hybrid, where you have to stand still to channel TK Throw more. The hybrid is a bit easier because you use so few abilities and have one less DOT to track, but I prefer full balance and get slightly better DPS out of it than the hybrid build on most boss fights. Either way, the difference in DPS between full balance and the 1/12/28 hybrid is slight. So use whichever one you prefer.

Nibbon's Avatar


Nibbon
02.11.2013 , 02:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bryceman View Post
So when I take a gander at the balance tree, I see a bunch of stuff that seems like a waste for a operation like the top ability Sever Force. I have always gone up to the talents that make the dots hit harder then go on over to tele to get the faster tele throw casts. Can someone explain to me why picking up sever force would be worth giving up a faster tele throw AND possible faster force regen with Concentration? I parse pretty well and if going full balance might add some dps then I am willing to change some things up.
First, everything Sooner said - totally agree.

Personally I chose to go full balance. It really is a matter of tracking your dots and not clipping them. On tanks in EC I can easily pull out 1900+ DPS. It is one of a few fights where I really shine because spreading dots picks up good dps. The timer on weaken mind is about the same as two cooldowns for sever force - so that helps track your dots fairly effectively.

Rotation might look like this on tanks:
WM - SV - WM - FiB - TT - MC - SV - TT - TT - TT - repeat, etc, etc
I usually kite the tanks as well so sometimes need to interrupt a TT and throw in a project.

on one target it is a little bit more watchful since you do not want to refresh your SV when it is only half worn off.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.11.2013 , 04:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nibbon View Post
The timer on weaken mind is about the same as two cooldowns for sever force - so that helps track your dots fairly effectively.
Even better, the cooldown on Sever Force (9 seconds) is exactly half of its duration, meaning you throw it on one target, throw it on the other right when it comes off cooldown and repeat. You never have to worry about clipping it if you use it off cooldown on both targets. Weaking Mind is a little tougher to track on two targets. It is difficult to be perfect refreshing Weaken Mind while not screwing up the rest of your rotation, but if you can manage it, you can pull sick DPS. My favorite fight with a full balance build is Nightmare Jarg and Sorno. I can pull ridiculously high DPS in that fight because of the double dotting and hitting them both with FiB.

bryceman's Avatar


bryceman
02.12.2013 , 11:00 PM | #5
Thanks for the feedback guys; I was using hybrid for the longest time but after trying out full balance, I think it is a little more useful for ops since you get another dot. My last question is how do you manage force effectively? I find myself on the longer boss fights on the very low end of the force spectrum and I do not want to end up losing dps because I don't have the force to get something off.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.13.2013 , 01:17 PM | #6
You really shouldn't run low on force unless you are using your bubble or project too much. Make sure you don't clip your dots, both to maximize DPS and conserve force. Also, let your TK throw channel completely. I put two points in Inner Strength, which makes my TK throw generate force. Never run into problems.

bryceman's Avatar


bryceman
02.13.2013 , 06:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
You really shouldn't run low on force unless you are using your bubble or project too much. Make sure you don't clip your dots, both to maximize DPS and conserve force. Also, let your TK throw channel completely. I put two points in Inner Strength, which makes my TK throw generate force. Never run into problems.
I only run into issues on fights that require a lot of aoe damage like the first boss of TfB or Kep on EC NiM. Force quake just ruins my force supply. Also I do not use project unless I am on the move and do not have the proc for a instant disturbance. The only time i ever use project in my standing rotation is on a burn phase AND only have a fast rock throw proc. I usually sneak it in right after the fast rock throw happens.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
02.14.2013 , 12:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bryceman View Post
I only run into issues on fights that require a lot of aoe damage like the first boss of TfB or Kep on EC NiM. Force quake just ruins my force supply. Also I do not use project unless I am on the move and do not have the proc for a instant disturbance. The only time i ever use project in my standing rotation is on a burn phase AND only have a fast rock throw proc. I usually sneak it in right after the fast rock throw happens.
You also shouldn't be using disturbance. It is a DPS loss from simply spamming TK Throw. If you can time it right, movement is the right time to refresh your dots.

Force Quake will deplete your force somewhat, but you shouldn't be running out on the Writhing Horror fight. You should only need 1 or 2 force quakes for the little adds assuming at least someone else in the group has decent AOE. You have to balance how often you use force quake in the trandoshan phase on Kephess. You can use a couple, then use TK throw to regenerate a little force and give your resources a breather. You can also use noble sacrifice for a quick regen. Use your self heal right after a couple of noble sacrifices and it is essentially like free force regen. I don't know where all your points are. Some people put three points in Clamoring Force for the boost to Mind Crush, but I prefer those points in Inner Strength as the DPS loss from losing Clamoring Force is very small and allows me more flexibility in using project and force quake in certain phases.

theRaiders's Avatar


theRaiders
03.06.2013 , 12:31 PM | #9
As Full Balance I parse over 1800 on Ops dummy - and I compete and have beaten top sentinels that parse well over 2000 on Ops Dummy as full balance in our Raid groups. My guildmates are surprised how well i can do in Ops with my sage. Even though everyone typically gets more DPS on Kephess in TFB - I run around 2600 DPS on that fight alone, and over 1650 on other bosses in TFB, including consistently hitting over 1M damage on final boss in TFB.
Swingin'richard II 55 Sage II The Harbinger II Intrepid

http://www.geekalerts.com/u/Mug-Life-T-Shirt.jpg

PrimusMagnus's Avatar


PrimusMagnus
03.07.2013 , 08:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by theRaiders View Post
As Full Balance I parse over 1800 on Ops dummy - and I compete and have beaten top sentinels that parse well over 2000 on Ops Dummy as full balance in our Raid groups. My guildmates are surprised how well i can do in Ops with my sage. Even though everyone typically gets more DPS on Kephess in TFB - I run around 2600 DPS on that fight alone, and over 1650 on other bosses in TFB, including consistently hitting over 1M damage on final boss in TFB.
Hey what is your rotation on this build? Thanks.
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."