Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Major class changes without addressing lightsabers is a joke

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Major class changes without addressing lightsabers is a joke

AdamGe
02.14.2013 , 11:35 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.

A compromise would be to give Sorcs/Sages a saber throw of some sort. This seems a completely legitimate suggestion, but the devs don't appear to care at this point.

I will settle for better balance between the classes. If we get that with 1.7, I won't let the lack of saber skills bother me.
Agreed completely, I would like at least one ability when my lightsaber is used in some form, other than just deflecting blaster bolts. A throw with some light damage ability would be awesome... It'd be nice if you could use your saber as a protective barrier, spinning around you as a sort of damage shield instead of that quasi lame bubble boy shield we get.

Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
Even if they did give Tumult a lightsaber animation, it still wouldn't be enough. I wouldn't mind having situational lightsaber abilities as long as they got some use, but Tumult is not only situational, it is unusable in the elder game.
Yeah Tumult is actually a pretty cool ability, but its nearly useless in PvE and you can't even use it in PvP. I dont understand putting abilities like this in the game if the limitations are as above... just adds more needless complexity that MMO's as a whole suffer from.

Pilsnerex
02.19.2013 , 02:06 PM | #22
i always thought the aoe heal ability would be awesome if we threw our lightsaber and the aoe heal was around the saber,would at least feel like it had a purpose.
The Guardians Of Power
Part of the TGoP http://www.tgop.co.uk
The Guardians of Peace: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/4213/guardians-peace
The Guardians of Power: http://www.swtor.com/guilds/85936/guardians-power

SlickAWG
02.21.2013 , 07:43 PM | #23
We do get a melee ability, Tumult. And I agree this could/should have been a lightsaber ability. As I said, I would like to see a saber throw animation. But it isn't going to do the class any good whatsoever to add a meaningless melee ability. We are designed to fight at range, and that is where we should stay.
Tumult is going away, according to the patch notes on Darth Hater. So now we have even fewer close abilities and still no reason to carry a lightsaber. And instead of giving us a lightsaber throw (which would make so much sense it's ridiculous), they're giving the Sentinels/Marauders an extra one to make it even more awesome.
Thank you, Bioware, for changing the name. Now that I'm not a "wizard", can we make my lightsaber less of a "wand"?

ottoisblotto
02.22.2013 , 04:51 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
I'm talking about this:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...n-updated-with

I know it's been talked to death, but for me, the lightsaber issue will never be settled. A class that can only use the ancient weapon of the Jedi as a stat stick is an affront to Star Wars.

Whomever came up with the idea should have been chided out of the room, yet here we are.

Not only is there no spec giving you even a single scaling saber attack, it isn't even used in any casting animations. Not even Tumult, which would have been the perfect opportunity for a saber attack. Instead we're expected to believe the sage is too frail to swing a saber, but he can do a spinning ninja kick. It's like they went out of their way to spit in the franchise's face.
this
I want my lightsaber back

Chemic_al
02.23.2013 , 11:28 AM | #25
Well, I looked a the class creation bit of the game, and for Sith Inquisitor it says:

"Where A Sith Warrior is rage, an Inquisitor is cunning. A master of force lightning and arcane arts, able to life one enemy in the air, stun another all the while attacking with lightsaber moves designed for maximum pain."

So... where are the lightsaber moves for Sorcs Bioware?

Hakkology
02.23.2013 , 12:56 PM | #26
It could at least be used for some channeling animations.
Hakko of the Red Eclipse ( Telekinetics Sage )

Caid_Baraka
02.25.2013 , 09:15 AM | #27
In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.

A compromise would be to give Sorcs/Sages a saber throw of some sort. This seems a completely legitimate suggestion, but the devs don't appear to care at this point.

I will settle for better balance between the classes. If we get that with 1.7, I won't let the lack of saber skills bother me.
I love the idea of a saber throw. I'd be happy with it replacing Saber Strike as we don't have a ranged attack filler with no force cost, which is silly as we're a ranged class. Just sweeten it up a it with a nice burst proc on enemies with Mind Crush or Weaken Mind on them that applies the remainder of the dot immediately.

ottoisblotto
02.25.2013 , 11:29 AM | #28
Ive added my 2 cents worth in the suggestions thread
i suggest you guys do the same
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...84#post5912784

Radagastimus
03.01.2013 , 06:01 PM | #29
I will most willingly add my support for third saber ability. Something that makes us feel a bit more like Jedi and less like Arcane mage. Nothing big but something that looks elegant like master strike on Knight and something that connests well in animation level.

Id also add that in my opinion, double strike needs a new animation. The current one looks more like some Barbarian hacking with axe rather than Jedi with weapon from more civilised times. Maybe we could use one of knight's animations here.

Lastly. Whats with the Arcane missile (Disturbance) This could have been good to different animation using lightsaver. Maybe something like saber throw or throwing saber for, say.. 10 seconds to target and while that time you could use your melee abilities to attack from distance. Cool, yes? Plain saber throw or throwin smaller rocks from random directions much like kinetic throw. Or something else that Arcane missile :P
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”

-Master Yoda

Hakkology
03.03.2013 , 10:05 AM | #30
Or we might have a cooldown that gives life to our lightsaber to fight as our minion for some time.

Telekinetics Sage is looking more like Demonology Warlock now more than ever.

We need a minion and our lightsaber can do that :P.
Hakko of the Red Eclipse ( Telekinetics Sage )