Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P has destroyed what is left of under 50 WZ's

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
F2P has destroyed what is left of under 50 WZ's

bbare
02.09.2013 , 01:05 PM | #1
Under 50 WZ's have never been saturated with skilled players. Hell, most of the time you would get half decent players and half below-average players. I could tolerate the incompetence of under-50 WZ's before F2P was launched. I cannot now. The amount of incompetence, stupidity, and trollish behavior has convinced me to never queue up solo for warzones anymore.

It is just not fun anymore. Very few players play the objectives, and usually there are only 1 or 2 players on each team who gets more than 100k damage or heals. That is embarrassing for the game. If you are lvl 25+ and you cannot manage to get over 100k damage or heals in a match that lasts the normal length of a game, you have some serious problems. I could understand if you are guarding a node the whole match or running the huttball, but I've seen people with 25k damage that were charging the mid in Civil War the whole match. I don't know how bad you have to be to do that. Yes, damage and healing numbers aren't as important as the objectives, but unless you are in a Huttball match, the team with the most kills and healing usually win.

It is not just damage and healing numbers that concern me. Most of the players don't do basic things like call out incoming enemies, guard healers, burn the other team's healers, fight on the nodes rather than out in the open, and CC enemies to prevent disrupting our cap. These problems existed before F2P, but it was way less common than it is now. At least before F2P, I could count on half our team being decent. I cannot now. Unless I'm in a premade, I will often be the only player on our team who knows how to play my class and knows basic strategies for each WZ.

I haven't been a hardcore PVP'er since 1.2 came out. I haven't done very much 50 PVP since then. I mainly do pvp to level alts, and it takes away from a lot of the questing grind on planets. I also like to do them, because it is a very good way to become very good at a class quickly. However, how much I dislike doing quests I have already done for 5 other characters, I'm going to start doing them instead of PvP, because, for me, F2P has destroyed under-50 WZ's. There is no fun in it anymore unless you form a premade and queue up against another premade, and that happens rarely.
The Vanity Legacy

CorbinCrawford
02.09.2013 , 01:15 PM | #2
This reminds me of a game of CW. I spent about 80% of the time guarding Snow. After the reps got middle some folks got grass which - being the reps 'off node' was where all the action was for the entirety of the game.

Of our team there was a level 49 mara who was constantly spawning and running middle trying to Obi Wan cap it from whatever reps were defending it. I told him he is more useful helping defend grass but he just did the usual torrent of foul language his game his way. Being 49 and mara in the midst of this smash spec nonsense it wasn't hard to deduce he was spending the entire match padding dps numbers.

So we won eventually, about 50-0 (so a looooongish game) and the score came up. Me with defending and 80% doing nothing for the game 120k, the 49 smash mara who spent the better part of 10-15 minutes padding numbers - 22k. you didn't misread, he barely broke 20k dmg smashing the entire game against middle (which he never did cap)

Long story short. There are some TERRIBLE players out there. Really, really, REALLY terrible.

Ever since though it has made me smile at the sheer ridiculousness of it.

cashogy_reborn
02.09.2013 , 01:41 PM | #3
f2p folks are limited to 5 warzones a week, unless they pay. and a weekly pass is like ~4$ worth of cartel coins iirc.

just because someone is bad doesnt mean that they are f2p. there are tons and tons and tons of bad players that pay to play
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Zataos
02.09.2013 , 02:18 PM | #4
The skill gap is growing in both sub 50 and 50 PVP, the only thing that can save this games PVP is a matchmaking system, by the time BW establishes one, as they don't seem to have the slightest interest, it may well be too late.

It does currently depends on your server and faction, but in some, such as mine, the unbalance from match to match is nearly out of control. On the Imp side, its either you are steam rolling or get steam rolled, very rarely in between, and the in between are what PVPers live for, the really fun matches.

A matchmaker that takes, gear, lvl, valor, expertise and group size should all be in the mix and it needs to be done yesterday.
The Chaoticas Legacy -The Shadowlands Server - (40k kills)
(Havaos Jug 50) (Devaos Sorc 50) (Vorhen BH 50) (Venaos Sin 50) (Xaos BH 50) (Zorgen Jug 50) (Zataos Mara 50) (Gwaraos BH 50) (Xenaos Mara 42) (Tavaos Sin 50) (Jenaos Snip 41) (Scaraos Op 27) (Ravaos Jug 31) (Xinaos Sorc 32) (Dreadaos - Jug 22)

Zunayson
02.09.2013 , 02:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
f2p folks are limited to 5 warzones a week, unless they pay. and a weekly pass is like ~4$ worth of cartel coins iirc.

just because someone is bad doesnt mean that they are f2p. there are tons and tons and tons of bad players that pay to play
Unfortunately. A slow paced game like this should never have someone so bad they can't reach 100k, unless they're like a lv 10 operative, but then they're better off healing. Now if it were a fast game that took actual skill then I could tolerate badness maybe for a week or so. But the amount of bad is astoundingly high
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Reimik
02.09.2013 , 03:48 PM | #6
I backfilled into a voidstar game when it was already round 2 and we were attacking and I still managed almost 300k damage, of course I was playing a pyrotech but that's beside the point here.

Monterone
02.09.2013 , 04:31 PM | #7
Yeah it's pretty bad, but it's not just the lowbies... I've seen some incredible derpage in the 50s as well, in the last couple of weeks...

F2Pers, ask away, we'll teach ya but please don't take 6 months to learn how to PvP, it's killing it for the rest. But with the limit on warzones they can do that BW implemented, it will realistically be six months before any of f2pers can have enough exposure to get better.

Maybe we should actually be ************ at BW to let f2pers play more, since BW choices are ruining the game for us subscribers. I know they wanna make money, but we pay money to have fun, and this is not fun currently.

Maybe it's time to quit again and give it a few months for f2pers to catch up.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger

Aelaias
02.09.2013 , 04:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post

You can easily buy the passes for 80k. Which by late 30s f2p can manage effortlessly.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

wargonglok
02.09.2013 , 05:11 PM | #9
I strongly disagree with the 100k damage part(even though my sub 50 always breaks it)

as a deception assasin, if i have really high damage at the end, that means i did not play optimally,

especially huttball, in my last hutball match i did 20k damage, and scored 6 times.

looking at damage is not the proper way to see skill, check if they use stuns, taunts and class mechanics to benefit the team.

A stealther in mid field is useless, but in the end zone, a victory
Sniper, 'nough said

Philelectric
02.09.2013 , 05:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Unfortunately. A slow paced game like this should never have someone so bad they can't reach 100k, unless they're like a lv 10 operative, but then they're better off healing. Now if it were a fast game that took actual skill then I could tolerate badness maybe for a week or so. But the amount of bad is astoundingly high
I'm sorry but I got 150k damage in a Civil War as a lvl 10 scoundrel ,100k in a huttball and around 100k in a Novare Coast lol (I have a lvl 50 assassin, it migh explain why I know how to play a stealth dps )

On topic, yes the amount of terrible players in sub 50 is very high. the Civil war where I did 150k, my team was 6 lvl 10 to 18 and 2 lvl 35+...we won vs a team with 5-6 lvl 35+. Same thing in the 100k dmg huttball and the +/- 100k Novare Coast. I remember THIS powertech tunnelvisioning me (I'm NOT healer) even if I poped a WZ adrenal, had a guard and a healer on me lol.

But when its sub 50 I dont really care about the skill level of the players,its full of new players after all. The lvl 50 braket is an other story, if you cant do a smart move in the 50 braket PLZ stop pvping lol
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.