Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Obsidian working on a Star Wars RPG set between Episode 3 and 4.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Obsidian working on a Star Wars RPG set between Episode 3 and 4.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
02.25.2013 , 03:22 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Well, I am certainly gonna play it. Didn't even know Obsidian still exists - I haven't heard of them in quite a while.

I wouldn't want another KotOR. The Jedi Order wiped out yet again. Yet another Revan / Exile figure who faces evil alone as virtually last remaining Jedi and saves the galaxy from being conquered by the Sith / utterly annihilated, respectively.

No characters like Kelemvor or Darth Traya anymore, who are just smarter than you and tell you how you got it all wrong in the end. No apocalyptic stories anymore like burning out the Force, consuming entire planets with sheer force of will, or tearing down the wall of souls...
Agreed, I want a more roguish 'do the hell whatever I want' storyline - and hey, why does it even have to involve a Jedi? Cut it out the equation completely! This could very much work in the period their planning on, given the scarcity of Sith and Jedi in that time.

In fact, I'm placing my bets on it being about a non-force sensitive protagonist.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
02.25.2013 , 03:25 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by JDCHobson View Post
If this is true where does this leave 1313. Surely thats still going ahead?
Of course, its a different company afterall.

Oh and 'social mobile' games suck, we all know that.

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
02.26.2013 , 01:19 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Agreed, I want a more roguish 'do the hell whatever I want' storyline - and hey, why does it even have to involve a Jedi? Cut it out the equation completely! This could very much work in the period their planning on, given the scarcity of Sith and Jedi in that time.

In fact, I'm placing my bets on it being about a non-force sensitive protagonist.
If I was to say what story I like, regardless of whether it's likely, or whether anyone else wants it, I'd say a blend of film noir detective story and a typical Star Wars story. With Jedi and lightsaber and all that. Emphasise on the aspect that Jedi are meant to be "knightly" in a way. Just that you don't try to be obvious about being a Jedi in that timespan. Maybe a bit reminiscent of the story of a Knights Templar after friday the thirteenth, trying to uphold the values of the order, but being disillusioned by a dark world surrounding them - though not necessarily dark side. Including a femme fatal, who can help you if you let her close but will ultimately betray you or drive you into darkness, if you let her close. Or hinder you, but never really engage you face to face, leaving you in a cold world, if you don't.

The game might even be black and white to emphasise the atmosphere.

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
02.26.2013 , 02:32 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
If I was to say what story I like, regardless of whether it's likely, or whether anyone else wants it, I'd say a blend of film noir detective story and a typical Star Wars story. With Jedi and lightsaber and all that. Emphasise on the aspect that Jedi are meant to be "knightly" in a way. Just that you don't try to be obvious about being a Jedi in that timespan. Maybe a bit reminiscent of the story of a Knights Templar after friday the thirteenth, trying to uphold the values of the order, but being disillusioned by a dark world surrounding them - though not necessarily dark side. Including a femme fatal, who can help you if you let her close but will ultimately betray you or drive you into darkness, if you let her close. Or hinder you, but never really engage you face to face, leaving you in a cold world, if you don't.

The game might even be black and white to emphasise the atmosphere.

Um, hi. I'm the ghost of Star Wars yet-to-come, and before I possess you and twist your mind into a yarnball, I just have to ask.... have you played many Star Wars games? Seen the films, maybe?

That sort of a game would be interesting (it's called L.A. Noire, if you're wondering) but is very far from thematically Star Wars. It would just hurt the genre, I feel.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
02.26.2013 , 10:10 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post

Um, hi. I'm the ghost of Star Wars yet-to-come, and before I possess you and twist your mind into a yarnball, I just have to ask.... have you played many Star Wars games? Seen the films, maybe?

That sort of a game would be interesting (it's called L.A. Noire, if you're wondering) but is very far from thematically Star Wars. It would just hurt the genre, I feel.
I don't think it would hurt the genre. The theme of Star Wars can be used in a lot of different context. Think of the wide array of different attitudes and feels all the different Batman films and TV shows have. Star Wars will always be a very fantastic story, but it doesn't have to be a heroic epic... Of course it's difficult to blend the excessively fantastic Star Wars theme in a context which relies showing a cold, hard reality - but it's possible, if you find a way what being pulled down to a hard reality without heroes means in Star Wars context. Think of "The Watchmen"... it's still a superhero story, but it's not quite Superman.

The black and white notion might be exaggerated - a ightsaber just won't work in black and white, even if you try to keep combat small and personal rather than epic and ultimate.

However, regardless of my personal, yet most unlikely preferences, I'd say it would be nice if the story was smaller in scope than usual - rather personal than the fate of the galaxy. And violence was used on a more conscious level - not nameless masked mobs to cut through, but opponents with a name, a history and a purpose. If there is one thing I always liked about Obsidian games, even if I didn't like the story overall, it was the companions and the people around you. Kaelyn the Dove, Visas Mar... And they are good at being somewhat dark, if you think of Mask of the Betrayer.