Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Cyborg "Species"


YeIIow's Avatar


YeIIow
02.07.2013 , 03:39 AM | #1
With the talks, rumors and petitions of further character customization going all over the place , i think the Cyborgs should get a re-work, right now they just a normal human with an iron patch on an eye -.- not very Cyborg by any definition....

They should be more like this:

http://www.myspace.com/ancientsithte...2%3A1859291%7D

rather than just like this:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...me_Cyborg_.jpg

I supose implementing this would take some time and work, but it would add a lot of diversity to this game, that is currently lacking, it would make the Cyborgs stand out from the Human and the human-with-diferent-skin species and give them a unique feeling.

-------------------------

Feel free to leave ur opinion below. thanks
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

YeIIow's Avatar


YeIIow
02.07.2013 , 12:40 PM | #2
Even previus games have done a better job than this when it comes down to cyborgs... a clear example is

Bao-Dur from SW: KOTOR 2, that arm of his really gave him a unique touch and made him stand out.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...durconcept.PNG

i feel like this game in stead of advancing and evolving from its predecesors, it goes back -.-
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.07.2013 , 12:46 PM | #3
I think the cybernetics should have been a character customization option open to all species instead of made a species unto themselves. I mean, really, when did getting cybernetics change your species? So Luke and Vader are no longer humans?

I like to think my cyborg is really half human/half miraluka myself.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
02.07.2013 , 12:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I think the cybernetics should have been a character customization option open to all species instead of made a species unto themselves. I mean, really, when did getting cybernetics change your species? So Luke and Vader are no longer humans?

I like to think my cyborg is really half human/half miraluka myself.
Agreed. This was another poor and lazy design choice by EAware.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
02.07.2013 , 01:09 PM | #5
I remember that Cyborgs kind of went in at the last minute before launch. I agree that they're very boring the way they are...just a few mechanical pieces on their face does not make a convincing cyborg.

I also remember them talking about giving players the ability to give themselves cosmetic cyber customization, but that never happened, guess it's still on that "wall of crazy".
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
02.07.2013 , 01:16 PM | #6
If i remember correctly, a LOOOONG time back the devs made a poll thread about "should cyborg be a playable species" and i think it was like 65% NO and 35% YES.....and then they ended up throwing them in as a species anyway

I think they have done a horrible job with them and would have much rather subbed them out for something more unique like Plo-Koon's race. Rodian or Wookiee. Even Jawa would have been better......
Prophecy of the Five
Live Stream @ twitch.tv/CidxPvP
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Season 3 Furious All-Star

Golzar's Avatar


Golzar
02.07.2013 , 01:31 PM | #7
I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.

Leonick's Avatar


Leonick
02.07.2013 , 01:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I remember that Cyborgs kind of went in at the last minute before launch. I agree that they're very boring the way they are...just a few mechanical pieces on their face does not make a convincing cyborg.
Last thing before launch? Hardly. They were around back then the character creation had "backgrounds" instead of species, when the game still used originally unveiled UI style. So that's a year before launch or something at the very least.
My Characters on the Progenitor
Raiah - Jedi Consular (Sage), Nesalia - Smuggler (Scoundrel)
Guild: The Kestrel Minority

Urael's Avatar


Urael
02.07.2013 , 01:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Golzar View Post
I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.
OK let's look at it from a "graphics" perspective. If you notice most if not all the cybernetics narrowly float above the face/head of the human figure. They are not integral to the over all head/face model. These "cybernetic" options could therefore be "options" on all the other existing "races" of "humanoids" that are in the game. The fact that they aren't is just lazy design by EAware.

I mean as soon as Luke and Anakin lost their right hands ... they ceased being human and became "cyborgs" ... right? @EAware.

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
02.07.2013 , 01:52 PM | #10
i think this all comes down to how do you define cyborg. Technically anyone with a prosthetic arm or leg or eye could be considered cyborg, even today.
What we see in SWTOR are humans (sadly, cybernetics should be for all races, that would be cool) with primary visual cortex or cochlear implants, or implants that have been used to fix their faces after something happened to them.
As for "cybernetics change your race", that has been subject of many, many scientific paper and artistic thoughts. Is human with cybernetics still human? Or is he something else? Is he superior? Etc. Those are the questions we have to ask (even in real world, as cybernetic revolution is coming fast)

So yes, making cyborgs as separate species may have not been the most fortunate idea, as they should have been just customization option for all races, but it allows us some cool new options.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link