Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP class question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP class question

ElevenBfour
02.06.2013 , 09:44 PM | #1
Hey guys, Been here since headstart, at lvl50 I have a Vanguard, Jugg, Shadow and PT. I've never gotten serious about PvP but I would like to start. Right now I'm thinking between a Sniper, Commando, Op(for heals) or a Mara.

Could anyone give me a rundown on how they are to pvp with? In my experience classes that are fun in PvE doesn't mean it will be fun in PvP also.

Technohic
02.06.2013 , 09:50 PM | #2
Any of those would be good except commando right now. That is subject to change though. Not that anyone knows for sure and to what extent, but hints might be that mara and commando just might switch places.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

ElevenBfour
02.06.2013 , 09:59 PM | #3
To be honest, I dont' know who is strong or not in PvP. I rarely read forums of any game because sometimes there is a lot of negativity. The main reason I like Commando's is for their looks, heavy armor and huge freakin' gun. I was leaning Mara because i've always like a 'Charge' like skill when playing pvp in WoW. The only reason I was thinking of one of the Agents is because I haven't done their story yet. Smuggler do not appeal to me at all.

cashogy_reborn
02.06.2013 , 10:22 PM | #4
you might be better off taking one of the toons you already have and starting them out on PvP.

all of those classes you listed as having are all in very good places right now.

it would also be a shame to start leveling a new toon, only for bioware to nerf the crap out of it in a few weeks.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

MusicRider
02.06.2013 , 10:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ElevenBfour View Post
Hey guys, Been here since headstart, at lvl50 I have a Vanguard, Jugg, Shadow and PT. I've never gotten serious about PvP but I would like to start. Right now I'm thinking between a Sniper, Commando, Op(for heals) or a Mara.

Could anyone give me a rundown on how they are to pvp with? In my experience classes that are fun in PvE doesn't mean it will be fun in PvP also.
All the classes you have are the totally fine for pvp as it stands now. Juggernaut in range tree, vanguard/powertech in assault/pyro, shadows have quite a few builds but better ask on a separate thread for advice or have a look as they will be definitely thread as such. On the new classes you mention operative healers are unkillable on the hands of an experienced good player but dps wise only exceptions excel. Snipers are pretty good and in my opinion well balanced. Maras are the fotm class for months now. Commandos is a no go for pvp. But this the current state of the classes and many things might change with 1.7. So the question is do you want to pvp sub 50 or 50 level? If you never prod before you will start at a gear disadvantage at 50 but with the recent changes it is very quick to gear up. So don't get disappointed in the beginning.

ElevenBfour
02.06.2013 , 10:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
you might be better off taking one of the toons you already have and starting them out on PvP.

all of those classes you listed as having are all in very good places right now.

it would also be a shame to start leveling a new toon, only for bioware to nerf the crap out of it in a few weeks.
Yeah I thought about that too. I'd hate to level a class for pvp then in the end get nerfed like crazy. But, I'm wanting to level a new toon. Kind of tired of the ones I have. I haven't level'd a new alt in probably 4 months.

ElevenBfour
02.06.2013 , 10:29 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
All the classes you have are the totally fine for pvp as it stands now. Juggernaut in range tree, vanguard/powertech in assault/pyro, shadows have quite a few builds but better ask on a separate thread for advice or have a look as they will be definitely thread as such. On the new classes you mention operative healers are unkillable on the hands of an experienced good player but dps wise only exceptions excel. Snipers are pretty good and in my opinion well balanced. Maras are the fotm class for months now. Commandos is a no go for pvp. But this the current state of the classes and many things might change with 1.7. So the question is do you want to pvp sub 50 or 50 level? If you never prod before you will start at a gear disadvantage at 50 but with the recent changes it is very quick to gear up. So don't get disappointed in the beginning.
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm half tempted to level a Commando just because they suck now. By the time I get to 50 I could hope that it will change.

Technohic
02.06.2013 , 10:36 PM | #8
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'm half tempted to level a Commando just because they suck now. By the time I get to 50 I could hope that it will change.
More are always welcome to join the wait for some love to Merc/Commando ACs.
Technohic - Sniper | Techno-Hic - Gunslinger | Cihonhcet - Scoundrel
Karnrage - Assassin | Egarnrak - Sage
Techen - Merc | Nehcet - Vanguard | Carnrage - Marauder | Egarnrac - Guardian
POT5

ktkenshinx
02.06.2013 , 10:40 PM | #9
You know what you really want to level? A class that hits like the Death Star, can win any 1v1, requires lots of skill, keeps your heartrate pumping, can heal, can kite, can even fight 1v2s, controls the entire map, can get with all the girls (or guys; don't want to be gender/heteronormative), solo-defends objectives against 3 attackers, and brings new meaning to the word "stunlock".

Who is that? The Scrapper.

A lot of people are under some misconception that the Scrapper, or in their eyes, "Crapper", is a terrible and gimped DPS class down there with Commandos. That is not true. Although we do suffer from a sustained damage problem (which you will notice in long fights) and a survivability deficit (which you will notice when 3 guys jump you, or you fight a Pyrotech), this class is overall an excellent one. If you have the skill to play the class, and the time to invest in getting decent gear (Recruit scrappers are unusually awful, even for recruits), you can be a major force on the battlefield.

Moreover, this is a class that is very unlikely to be nerfed in the near future, so it's a safe bet.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

MusicRider
02.06.2013 , 11:48 PM | #10
Welcome. In the end of the day which class gives you more fun is what matters.