Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sin Tank - Clarification on stat caps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Sin Tank - Clarification on stat caps

KeyboardNinja
02.07.2013 , 12:16 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Honestly, there isn't really any major difference between the two other than ideology. As I pointed out, the difference in actual HP is less than you might think, especially if you're using Force Wielder armorings/hilt already. Even the differences in real mitigation is minor at best. The argument simply persists based upon ideological lines even though the differences are miniscule.
Exactly. Kitru and I are both equally capable of clearing all the content in the game, and neither of us is going to be significantly (or even noticeably) gimped on anything we attempt. There are some things that he will find easier (e.g. holding initial threat on taunt-constrained bosses, such as Stormcaller), and there are some things that I will find easier (e.g. taking the bleed on Kephess). These are semantics though. As he said, we're just debating ideology at this point.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Grumpftard
02.07.2013 , 05:54 AM | #12
Agreed.
As I said, I have and play both. From that I really don't notice any difference between the two. The only thing that has ever really separated them for me is the healers. My healers say that the 28k version is easier for them. And that's just a result of individual play styles. (as stated a couple posts up)
TORVA NEX! (The Site) (The Video)
"You don't have to say more than that!!"
Grumpf =Tankasin / G'rumpf =Mara / Gru'mpf =Jugg / Grum'pf =P-Tech
Grump'f =Shadow / G'rump'f =Scoundrel / Gr'umpf =Operative / Jei'Dahl =Merc

haksilence
02.07.2013 , 07:59 AM | #13
Tam I'm pushing 770 most of the time with obvious exceptions. My latest writhing horror was 755. And I spent a bit of time in the floor cause we were taking a new healer through that just dinged 50 lol!

And in other news a shadow from army of light was giving me **** for using a healing relic and called me a fool cause its impossible to proc it on yourself. What a silly guy lol. He was also saying 25% 70% and 58% were optimal shadow tank stats.

Kitru
02.07.2013 , 11:02 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
And in other news a shadow from army of light was giving me ****
I've met brand spanking new Shadow tanks (re: they had just hit 50 and asked for advice in fleet general) that, after being told everything there is to know about Shadow tanking (attack priority, stat ratios, etc.) that I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. I've also been told by pug tanks *and healers* that I'm obviously doing it wrong since I only have 23.5k hp when I'm not using an Exotech stim (it pushes up to 25k with, which is where I *like* it); I always end up laughing because, inevitably, I'm the one forced to main tank because they can't generate threat for crap, and they're the ones that drop because the healers couldn't keep them up.

I've never expected much out of the intelligence of random people. At best, you can expect them to take your advice quietly; at worst, you can expect them to call you an idiot even though they have no idea what they're talking about.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Darth_Caedes
02.07.2013 , 11:29 AM | #15
First off, I'll assuage your worries concerning not having enough Endurance if you go for a lot of mitigation: you'll get all of the hp you *need* naturally, just improving your gear. By "need" I refer to ~25k for 8m and 26-27k for 16m. Anything more than those numbers for the relevant group size is redundant and just exists as either epeen or a "don't freak out" cushion for your healers (good healers won't freak out when you drop to 5k hp because they'll realize you just took a big hit and it's not an "omg, tank is gonna die!" moment).

Secondly, the basic goal numbers for a Shadow tank in aug'd BH/Camp gear is 30/65/60. Those numbers go up slightly depending on your choice of relics (passive Defense relic is gonna push your defense up a percentage point or two) and a bit more when you hit DG/Hazmat tier (my tank stats, without using any passive relics, are ~31.5/67/62).
Quick question, when you mentioned the basic shield chance of 65%, is this with or without Dark Ward?

Kitru
02.07.2013 , 11:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Caedes View Post
Quick question, when you mentioned the basic shield chance of 65%, is this with or without Dark Ward?
With.
My New Class Idea

Darth_Caedes
02.07.2013 , 11:51 AM | #17
With.
Thank you.. One more stupid question and I should be good to go. For defense, are we looking to get 30% with the stim or without?

Kitru
02.07.2013 , 12:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Caedes View Post
Thank you.. One more stupid question and I should be good to go. For defense, are we looking to get 30% with the stim or without?
With. I always calc hp and mitigation stats fully buffed and stimmed.
My New Class Idea

haksilence
02.07.2013 , 01:22 PM | #19
yeah lol,
i just pulled up one of my parses for a Lost island HM i did today
and with my 28.3k HP
31.2% defence chance
66% shield chance
and 61% absorb

(note that this is without my healing relic since i only use that for F/T damge intensive fights)

i had an average DPS of 920 over the entire encounter.
an average HPS of 250 over the entire encounter (pitifully low since i prioritize my rotation to kill on trash not to maintain myself)
while sustaining a nominal 520 DPS incoming.

not to mention the encounter took us 18 minutes and 10 seconds from the first fight to the last lol.

not to shabby if i do say somyself

*edit* on the DR lorik fight alone i was at 890 DPS but this of course does not count.

Grumpftard
02.10.2013 , 09:43 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Assuming 2k pre-mitigation weapon DPS (a fairly average value for a boss) and 30/65/60 defensive stats and 40% DR from armor. That's a post-mitigation DPS of 512. 18 HPS is a reduction of 3.5% on this value, which is equivalent to an added 2.46% defense chance, which is an additional 135 defense rating (assuming a base rating of 510, which is required to achieve 30% defense chance with all talents). This weighs against the 311 Endurance required to achieve the jump between 25k and 28.4k.
Ok....I follow your math upto the point where you convert the 3.5% reduction on DPS but not sure on how you get it to the 2.46% defense.
I'm asking because I'm trying to use the same logic with the Healing relic (which comes out roughly to 24 HPS.)
Give to me teh mathz, please (i went the lame route and just took the 135 and divided by the 18 to find the value of 1HPS. While that should get me roughly at the destination, I still don't have the full path)

note: I REALLY suck at teh mathz
TORVA NEX! (The Site) (The Video)
"You don't have to say more than that!!"
Grumpf =Tankasin / G'rumpf =Mara / Gru'mpf =Jugg / Grum'pf =P-Tech
Grump'f =Shadow / G'rump'f =Scoundrel / Gr'umpf =Operative / Jei'Dahl =Merc