Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So is the Galaxy in a period of economic prosperity?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
So is the Galaxy in a period of economic prosperity?

DAWUSS
02.06.2013 , 08:57 AM | #1
This is something I've started to wonder given the outfits in game (which would suggest they are), while it sounds like both sides are still recovering from the last war (which would suggest they're not)

AlexDougherty
02.07.2013 , 04:55 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
This is something I've started to wonder given the outfits in game (which would suggest they are), while it sounds like both sides are still recovering from the last war (which would suggest they're not)
Somewhere between the two, it is recovering, so not at it's full economic strength, but it is nearly recovered, so quite a way above the immediate effects of war.

The infrastructure on most worlds is fully recovered, but we don't see those worlds, just the contested worlds and a the capitals, and of those capitals only Coruscant was actualy attacked and thus in a state of recovery. The contested worlds are in a state of warfare and so not at peak economic strength, and so not a judge of the state of the Empire/Republic.

However, we are told that the truce is a breather for both sides to regain their military strength, and that war is going to happen soon, so we can deduce that both sides are nearly recovered, and thus near to peak economic capacity.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

BradTheImpaler
02.09.2013 , 12:17 AM | #3
Prosperity is a strange word to describe constant border conflicts, gang wars and exploitation, so I'm gonna say no.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

johnxtreeme
02.09.2013 , 09:57 AM | #4
One must consider that the economy isn't like it is on Earth today, it's on a far far larger scale. Even if the galaxy at large was experiencing near-total economic collapse, there could still be thousands of prosperous worlds.

War doesn't affect the galaxy as much either. For example, if all of Europe was engulfed by war, many resources only available from there would no longer be available, something like 10% of all land in the world (or whatever it is) would be unusable.

In SW, on the other hand, there are millions (I believe) of inhabitable and arable worlds. Humans can survive on almost all of them. Therefore war flaring up in a few hotspots isn't a huge problem for the majority of the galaxy, in which there is no fighting. Essentially, when the theatre of war is so big, battles can be fought only in a few specific places in the galaxy, the rest is left untouched.

Therefore, while perhaps the Republic Government itself is suffering from lack of money, the citizens in it are not, unless they find themselves on a war-torn planet.

psandak
02.11.2013 , 09:26 AM | #5
Think about it this way. World War II actually got the USA out of the Great Depression; it put a LOT of people to work. And post WWII America had an explosion of the Middle Class.

And as the Ferengi in Star Trek say in their rules of acquisition...War is good business, AND Peace is good for business.

That being said, we as player characters tend to deal with the upper classes - noble houses on Alderaan, Mafia dons (The Hutts) on Hutta and Nar Shaddaa, Admirals and Generals on other planets, etc. There are very few incidents where we as player characters interact with the lower classes - moisture farmers on Tattooine, those stuck in the gang controlled areas of Coruscant, etc. and all of those incidents are side quests, so they can and often are ignored. So, our perspective of what society and the galactic economy is really like may be skewed.

Lastly, I find it interesting when we as players have hundreds of thousands to millions of credits and NPCs give us 500 credits and the NPC feels that is a lot of money. In the battle of Ilum FP on the republic side...
Spoiler

JacenHallis
02.11.2013 , 03:52 PM | #6
Credits in lore and credits as a game currency don't line up. Just like every other MMO out there, what should be considered a lot of money is nothing due to scaling of costs and levels. The game gives us most of our money--not the world. There's a major difference there.

For the amount of money you'd get from one run of dailies, you can get a small fleet of ships and start your own freight business.

Just like a class is a pure game construct and not a hard, codified thing in the world, so is money.

As for the original question, it's hard to tell. As said before, we tend to see the horrible places, since that's where the war is. Balmorra's landscape is being torn apart, Coronet City is falling into ruin from artillery and crashing ships, and so on. Even Coruscant is still recovering from the Sacking seven years previous. But other worlds may be far from the war because they lack strategic value. We simply can't tell if the galaxy is prospering or if the war is starting to take a toll on the economy.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Zou_Li_Jing
02.11.2013 , 04:49 PM | #7
The economy is recovering but the war did take its toll. The galaxy relies on hyper-space lanes, safe parts of space for hyperspace travel.

The Mandalorian Blockade showed how worlds far from the fight, being production centers for the more heavily populated core worlds of the republic, could see almost overnight no more goods that help and almost ensures continued growth of those worlds.

These types of wars come down to, who can outmanuever the other more, spend more money, cut off essential resources and slowly beat back/strangle the enemy into defeat on the field of battle or in a formal surrender.
Blaster and Saber in hand...Splendid and Brilliant...With a sense of righteousness...We brothers...Go to the battlefield challenging all enemies. Song,link below (3:27-5:07)Chinese with English sub....... Proud Standard Edition owner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHRta7iopU&NR=1