Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

mandalorians and nonforce users in star wars movies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
mandalorians and nonforce users in star wars movies

therealeasy's Avatar


therealeasy
02.06.2013 , 12:44 AM | #1
i know there are star wars novels, comics, graphic novels, games like KOTOR which were great as well, etc

they have added a lot to the SW universe

but when i think of star wars i think of the original trilogy


one of the most interesting additions, present in this game and the lore, are the mandalorians, who were even said to have warred and battled the jedi

but, the only 'mandalorian-esque' character in the movies, was bobba fett, who in my opinion was a rather weak subservient character who was dispatched by luke as not much more than an inconvenience and polished off by solo in a moment of comedy relief.. flying into the sand monster


also the idea that nonforce users , smugglers, republic or imperial troops, could fight jedi, who in the original series seemed to be very rare , and their lightsabres were regarded as special. for example, solo often comes up with the plan and does great against the empire guards, but you dont see him blasting darth vader. when he does, vader blocks the shots with his hands and pulls his gun effortlessly... the movies really give an idea that jedi are far more powerful. even thinking about it, the jedis used the force which set them above during the space combat scenes, from what i can remember.

i know the lore has changed and classes are balanced so everyone can be useful but i would be interested to hear others opinion on this. it seems the game is clearly more based on a 'universal SW lore' perspective than an ode to the original trilogy

i personally think it is great, i like the balance and the mandalorians, but does everyone?

Rekar's Avatar


Rekar
02.06.2013 , 01:24 AM | #2
In StarWars lore I would say they stand no chance but depends on who they are. But in a game, they have to be balanced or everyone will start crying.

ElyonRand's Avatar


ElyonRand
02.06.2013 , 02:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by therealeasy View Post
but, the only 'mandalorian-esque' character in the movies, was bobba fett, who in my opinion was a rather weak subservient character who was dispatched by luke as not much more than an inconvenience and polished off by solo in a moment of comedy relief.. flying into the sand monster
Dude, he CLIMBED out of the Sarlacc's mouth afterwards, a feat that no-one else has ever done, and went on to become Mandalore. Boba Fett was epic.

therealeasy's Avatar


therealeasy
02.06.2013 , 11:01 AM | #4
OK but that is an invention of the out-of-movies lore right? In the movie it doesnt show that and implies he gets eaten


i read a few books and would like to check out more but i am not too familiar with the other literature so i dont know if he became a ****** but in the movie he was definitely not a 'mandalorian warrior,' again i like the mandalorians but i dont think they are mentioned in the movie at all


similarly the idea of thousands of jedi seems detached from the originals

i understand this is the old republic and i think this game is great and i like the lore, i just think, between the mass number and proliferation of jedi and lightsabres, the extravagant armor and the new lore... besides some references to them, it feels several steps detached from the original films

Path-x's Avatar


Path-x
02.06.2013 , 01:17 PM | #5
Well when Han was shooting at Vader he wasn't shooting at some nobody. We have to assume Vader was one of the most powerful force user ever to live. Not to mention it was his trap and he knew exactly what Han will do.

I still believe that if some nobody with a blaster shot the most powerful force user in the back and caught him off guard he would kill him.

Original Trilogy is very realistic and practical about this matter. Vader picks up Emperor (the most powerful force user ever) and throws him into the reactor shaft. Luke is hit into his cybernetic hand by some random scum (it could be his head). Han shoots Greedo while he is doing some pointless talking. Boba get blown away by accident. And so on.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Caelith's Avatar


Caelith
02.06.2013 , 01:24 PM | #6
Jango jett took on obi wan and could be said he won. he also only lost to Mace because he was trampled and had his jet pack damaged. Also Ki-Adi-Mundi was killed by a squad of clones in combat. Not to mention the clones attacked the jedi temple and killed lots of jedi in combat.

Also as the 'Hope' cinematic shows Jedi/Sith cannot block explosives.

Jedi are powerful but not immortal, they can only block so many shots so if you fire enough at them you will get a few shots past their defence and they will fall.

All it would take is a knowledge of jedi and skill/planning to take one down.
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
02.06.2013 , 01:31 PM | #7
I think Darth Vader is a special case - and that little trick with absorbing Han's blaster shots only worked because he was expecting it long before the Force could warn him of it.

The battle of Geonosia shows that in an outright battle a Jedi falls when they are hit by a blaster bolt. As does Order 66 show. Jedi and Sith may be have special powers, but they are not demi-gods. They are faster than anyone else, have a high pain threshold, more flexible, stronger.... but a blaster bolt in the head is still a blaster bolt in the head.

A bit difficult is the lightsaber thing. While in literature it is often handled otherwise, the movies imply that nothing can withstand a lightsaber blade, so melee is out of the question. That makes it actually pointless to wear the entire armour - at least for the purpose of protection from the enemies assault. Then again armour is handled extremely... strange in the movies. The storm trooper's armour cannot even withstand Leia's hold out blaster in the movies, so it's fair to assume armour works better if you're the hero in the story, as opposed to a random villain goon; up to the degree of withstanding "light" hits by a lightsaber blade.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

CaptainApop's Avatar


CaptainApop
02.06.2013 , 01:34 PM | #8
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
02.06.2013 , 02:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I think Darth Vader is a special case - and that little trick with absorbing Han's blaster shots only worked because he was expecting it long before the Force could warn him of it.

The battle of Geonosia shows that in an outright battle a Jedi falls when they are hit by a blaster bolt. As does Order 66 show. Jedi and Sith may be have special powers, but they are not demi-gods. They are faster than anyone else, have a high pain threshold, more flexible, stronger.... but a blaster bolt in the head is still a blaster bolt in the head.

A bit difficult is the lightsaber thing. While in literature it is often handled otherwise, the movies imply that nothing can withstand a lightsaber blade, so melee is out of the question. That makes it actually pointless to wear the entire armour - at least for the purpose of protection from the enemies assault. Then again armour is handled extremely... strange in the movies. The storm trooper's armour cannot even withstand Leia's hold out blaster in the movies, so it's fair to assume armour works better if you're the hero in the story, as opposed to a random villain goon; up to the degree of withstanding "light" hits by a lightsaber blade.
1. Overwhelming Numbers

2. Overwhelming numbers + surprise attack

Those things are really the only reason so many jedi die. In a 1 on 1 engagement with a fully trained jedi, you might aswell just throw your blaster away.

As for the Stormtrooper armor, its only ineffective cause the Rebels used armor penetrating blasters. As for the Stormtrooper that got hit, he could have survived only just got knocked down and suffering some damage as Leia's sport blaster was low power and only used for small game hunting.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
02.06.2013 , 03:24 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
1. Overwhelming Numbers

2. Overwhelming numbers + surprise attack

Those things are really the only reason so many jedi die. In a 1 on 1 engagement with a fully trained jedi, you might aswell just throw your blaster away.
Jango Fet did shoot a Jedi during the same battle in the movies... Which is what made him overconfident and make him engage Windu directly - but still it shows - it is possible.

Of course it's not easy but the movies show clearly - with the exception of the one scene with Darth Vader and Han in the City in the Clouds - if a Jedi is hit by a blaster bolt they die just like everyone else.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."