Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why Dooku and Anakin's relationship is so bad?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why Dooku and Anakin's relationship is so bad?

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.07.2013 , 09:35 AM | #11
Anakin does think only power can bring peace, Dooku also went that way, their difference of maturity is mostly caused by age.

Obi Wan's logic is totally different, he's a ideal jedi.

Scutum's Avatar


Scutum
02.07.2013 , 08:31 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Anakin does think only power can bring peace, Dooku also went that way, their difference of maturity is mostly caused by age.

Obi Wan's logic is totally different, he's a ideal jedi.
Dooku was tempered by his following of the Jedi code and his determination to be the best Jedi he could be. He wasn't obsessed with titles and recognition like Anakin, who got upset at the pace of him attaining knighthood and masterhood (even though he never sucessfully fully trained a padawan). When Anakin and Ferus Olin were apprentices, Ferus was the idealistic Jedi while Anakin was the jealous one who didn't mind breaking the code for his own gain. In Dooku's case, he was the idealistic one where his friend Lorian Nod was the jealous one who broke the code to get what he wanted.

Yes Dooku was pretty arrogant at times, but the question at hand is why he didn't see Anakin in a better light. The answer has already been said, and it is that he saw the young knight as arrogant, selfish, and not deserving of the title of Jedi. Even if they had a slight few similarities, it doesn't change his attitude towards Anakin.
<--------------------------------------------------->
"This is all very interesting, but why should I care?"
―Kyle Katarn

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.07.2013 , 08:38 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Scutum View Post
Dooku was tempered by his following of the Jedi code and his determination to be the best Jedi he could be. He wasn't obsessed with titles and recognition like Anakin, who got upset at the pace of him attaining knighthood and masterhood (even though he never sucessfully fully trained a padawan). When Anakin and Ferus Olin were apprentices, Ferus was the idealistic Jedi while Anakin was the jealous one who didn't mind breaking the code for his own gain. In Dooku's case, he was the idealistic one where his friend Lorian Nod was the jealous one who broke the code to get what he wanted.

Yes Dooku was pretty arrogant at times, but the question at hand is why he didn't see Anakin in a better light. The answer has already been said, and it is that he saw the young knight as arrogant, selfish, and not deserving of the title of Jedi. Even if they had a slight few similarities, it doesn't change his attitude towards Anakin.
No, Dooku was very against PT Jedi's code, much like Qui Gon, he was already very disappointed with the Jedi and the republic before Qui Gon's death, In the conversation between him and Damask he also said he wants to discover the full power of the Force, including the Dark Side.

Scutum's Avatar


Scutum
02.07.2013 , 09:24 PM | #14
There's a difference between disliking and disrespecting, and it is true that he said that, but it was later when he was already disillusioned with both organizations. Back when he was a student and early in his time as an instructor that was not the case, made obvious both by the order's desire for him to teach and the council offering him a position among their ranks. They never offered such a spot to Qui-Gon, who wasn't disappointed with the Jedi, but instead was criticizing them for what he saw as a lack of vision.

And yes he did want to explore the dark side, once again later when he was already believing the order influenced by the republic's corruption. After that he was influenced by Sidious to begin drifting towards the dark side, but still held some respect for the order and his old teachers. When Yoda came and had a long talk with Dooku, he was so close to bringing Dooku back to the light that Sidious saw it necessary to sabotage it and send Obi-Wan and Anakin to stop it.

After that Dooku's anger at the supposed betrayal kept him from wanting to join the order anymore, but the fact that he was that close to redemption meant he obviously still had some dear feelings for the order and its teachings.
<--------------------------------------------------->
"This is all very interesting, but why should I care?"
―Kyle Katarn

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.07.2013 , 09:46 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Scutum View Post
There's a difference between disliking and disrespecting, and it is true that he said that, but it was later when he was already disillusioned with both organizations. Back when he was a student and early in his time as an instructor that was not the case, made obvious both by the order's desire for him to teach and the council offering him a position among their ranks. They never offered such a spot to Qui-Gon, who wasn't disappointed with the Jedi, but instead was criticizing them for what he saw as a lack of vision.

And yes he did want to explore the dark side, once again later when he was already believing the order influenced by the republic's corruption. After that he was influenced by Sidious to begin drifting towards the dark side, but still held some respect for the order and his old teachers. When Yoda came and had a long talk with Dooku, he was so close to bringing Dooku back to the light that Sidious saw it necessary to sabotage it and send Obi-Wan and Anakin to stop it.

After that Dooku's anger at the supposed betrayal kept him from wanting to join the order anymore, but the fact that he was that close to redemption meant he obviously still had some dear feelings for the order and its teachings.
And by the time Anakin became Jedi both the republic and the Jedi order already became to corrupted and inflexible. Dooku criticized the Jedi many times, he quit the Jedi order before made ally with Sidious.

Anakin also still kept some respect to Qui Gon, in the novel he even offered a chance for Obi Wan to let him go before they fight, that's pretty much it. Dooku kept some respect to certain individuals, yes. But he mostly wanted to turn them to his side rather than return to the light, he said Qui Gon would join him if he was alive, he also asked his master to let Obi Wan join them. He likes certain individuals, but certainly not the order and the jedi way anymore. He pretty much believes power can bring peace and order to the galaxy.