Smash bombers

JaysonF

Why has this yet to be fixed? With specs this broken the devs should not wait til the next major patch (1.7. 1.8 etc) to fix it. When you can be Smashed for 6k+ then a Force Scream for 4k+ back-to-back, how are you supposed to survive? As a sorc, this means I am below 50% with only 2 globals. This does not even take into account how much Force Crush does per tick. Now times that by 4 since now there are entire premades of smash bombers (non-rated, that is). Why is this still being allowed? Combined with a resolve system that allows a player to be stunned from 100% to dead (entirely different post), I am at a loss as to why it has been allowed for this long. It is truly a game-breaking issue that provides a detrimental experience for those at the receiving end as well as forces all marauders to go smash bomber spec or lose out. I have no issue with pure dps classes doing more damage than those that can go hybrid, but when it is this overpowered, to put it frankly, it just sucks.

It is also unfortunate for those players that are just hitting 50 (i.e. f2p people) and I would argue a major turn-off when you go from sub-50 pvp where everyone has 'balanced' gear to using Recruit gear against Elite War Hero smash bombers that can Smash multiple targets for absurd numbers. If we want to keep new players this must be addressed as soon as possible.

I would ask for this to be a civil thread in which we discuss the pros/cons of this issue but I assume it will devolve into 'lulz i smash u hard' as unfortunate as that might be.

the problem is before the buff, everyone thought rage was trash. BW buffed the tree too much. it needs to be tweaked down. i do think it should hit hard to compete with other trees, but 6-8K smashes on 1-5 targets is rediculous.

no other class in the game hits that hard with an ability at this time (that i know of).

they need toned down, but not killed

There's an expansion coming out soon. What's OP now will not necessarily be OP when everyone's level 55. I suspect that Bioware is working on level 55 balance and not so worried about level 50 balance at this time.

Also, MMOs use a Rock - Paper - Scissors type of balancing. And sometimes it just boils down to who has their cooldowns available. While a marauder may roflsmash your sage, he won't have the same effect on a hunker down'd gunslinger.

And it really doesn't matter what the class balance is, when you hit level 50 and start playing against people with war hero and better gear, your recruit gear just isn't going to do much. That's the problem with having a PvP stat like Expertise. What I do is roll another character when I hit 50. But then you still face the problem of the +41 expertise crystals in the Pay2Win cartel packs. So even in the lowbie bracket you can be facing someone with 82 expertise while you have none.

The implementation of expertise is one of my biggest disappointments with this game. But WoW put Resilience in with their first expansion, so TOR had to have their version of it.

Edited by Xargyn

1. just so you know, a good twink will be sitting on 257 expertise at level 46. not just the 82.

2. this game is far from pay2win. a pay2win gives you an unfair advantage for paying. you can buy those crystals on the gtn if your not pathetic and cheap.

3. resilience is necessary to separate the pve players from the pvp players. no one enjoyed having raiders roll in a wz with full raid gear and destroy the players that could care less about raiding. it was a tool created for the PVPers so any who cry about it are far from true pvpers. they fall into the, "i want to raid and be viable in pvp the 1 time a month i do pvp with my raid gear but dont want the people that spend all of their time pvping to be able to kill me" catagory.

i agree that smash is pretty rough simple changes that could balance it better would be simply increasing the time it takes to build the burst. the biggest problem is they can jump right at you and smash you in the beginning with everything up then pop a choke and have full stacks again. snipers cant even pop out those numbers that fast and their damage is crazy high but they are balanced because they have high charge times.

resilience is necessary to separate the pve players from the pvp players. no one enjoyed having raiders roll in a wz with full raid gear and destroy the players that could care less about raiding. it was a tool created for the PVPers so any who cry about it are far from true pvpers. they fall into the, "i want to raid and be viable in pvp the 1 time a month i do pvp with my raid gear but dont want the people that spend all of their time pvping to be able to kill me" catagory.

No, resilience is not necessary for that. In classic WoW, you could earn gear via PvP or PvE and both sets of gear were usable for both purposes. Resilience was implemented with the intention of getting people who rarely PvP'd to PvP more often, as evidenced by the fact that Blizzard put the best DPS weapons for raiding as PvP rewards when they launched The Burning Crusade. Unfortunately, unless you're paid to test the game, you don't have time to play the 40 hours a week needed to get gear for both sets. So what ended up happening was that the raiders logged in to ten matches a week with the intent to lose as fast as possible just so they could get the gear for raiding.

All resilience did was ruin WoW's PvP. So much so that Blizzard had to implement flying mounts and teleportation from the sanctuaries to the interior of the dungeons so that the players on a PvP server could avoid your "true PvPers" who only want to fight people who can't defend themselves against them.

And let's face it, it wasn't "I want to raid and be viable in PvP when I do" it was more a situation of your "true PvPer" crying "I want to PvP all the time and totally destroy people who raid, because even though I PvP all the time, I'm still not skilled enough to beat someone who doesn't PvP more than once a month and it's just not fair that they are able to kill me."

And I personally remember a time when I was with a group grinding out the Grand Marshal gear and we came across a full raid geared team in Warsong Gulch a few days after the cross server battlegrounds were implemented. Even though they totally out geared us, our team easily beat them, because we were used to PvPing together and working as a team and they weren't. So your "being rolled by full raid geared" theory just doesn't hold water.

All other things being equal, a real PvPer is going to beat a non-PvPer every time, because the real PvPer has been practicing and the non-PvPer hasn't.

P.S. The +41 crystals aren't on the GTN until someone pays for them. So yes, it is Pay2Win, and there's no reason whatsoever that anybody should be forced to purchase them. If you have to twink out your marauder with expertise crystals you paid money for, and enhancements from the commendation vendor in order to defeat your opponents, then you're just sad.

Edited by Xargyn

P.S. The +41 crystals aren't on the GTN until someone pays for them. So yes, it is Pay2Win, and there's no reason whatsoever that anybody should be forced to purchase them. If you have to twink our your marauder with expertise crystals you paid money for, and enhancements from the commendation vendor in order to defeat your opponents, then you're just sad.

+1 :)

• 5 months later...