Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best Relics for Shadow Tank?


psikofunkster's Avatar


psikofunkster
02.05.2013 , 10:24 PM | #1
Right now i have:

01) War hero relic of impereling serenity
02) Dread guard relic of ephemeral mending

Are they ok?

Thanks for your input.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
02.06.2013 , 01:05 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
Are they ok?
Yes. The DG heal proc relic is the absolute BiS relic for a Shadow tank, and the EWH passive PvP Defense relic is generally considered the best option for your second slot (some people prefer a use relic as a soft survivability CD whereas others, like me, just don't like PvP and use the DG absorb proc relic).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

psikofunkster's Avatar


psikofunkster
02.06.2013 , 01:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Yes. The DG heal proc relic is the absolute BiS relic for a Shadow tank, and the EWH passive PvP Defense relic is generally considered the best option for your second slot (some people prefer a use relic as a soft survivability CD whereas others, like me, just don't like PvP and use the DG absorb proc relic).
thanks for your answer what about rakata adrenals? absorb is the recommened one?

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
02.06.2013 , 01:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
thanks for your answer what about rakata adrenals? absorb is the recommened one?
Yup; Absorb Adrenal and Fortitude Stim.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

psikofunkster's Avatar


psikofunkster
02.06.2013 , 01:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Yup; Absorb Adrenal and Fortitude Stim.
kk thanks yep im using both.

SamuelAU's Avatar


SamuelAU
02.06.2013 , 05:44 AM | #6
I run with Elite War Hero Relic of Imperiling Serenity and Dread Guard Relic of Shield Amplification. I wouldn't mind grabbing a Dread Guard Relic of Ephemeral Mending and being able to pick and choose which 2 of the 3 I use depending on the type of damage received in the fight.
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

Griad's Avatar


Griad
02.06.2013 , 05:57 AM | #7
The healing proc dread guard and the defensive on use dread guard are by far the best option, depending on your defense stacking.
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse

SamuelAU's Avatar


SamuelAU
02.06.2013 , 09:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Griad View Post
The healing proc dread guard and the defensive on use dread guard are by far the best option, depending on your defense stacking.
I don't think the defensive on use relic would do much good due to how hard DR hits defense rating once you're close to 28/29 percent. Anyone have the math on that?
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

psikofunkster's Avatar


psikofunkster
02.06.2013 , 09:46 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
I run with Elite War Hero Relic of Imperiling Serenity and Dread Guard Relic of Shield Amplification. I wouldn't mind grabbing a Dread Guard Relic of Ephemeral Mending and being able to pick and choose which 2 of the 3 I use depending on the type of damage received in the fight.
Well, yes, im getting almost the same damage as a dps with my current relics. maybe i should give a try to the shield amplification one. IMO the ephemeral mendion one sounds for sages...

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
02.06.2013 , 10:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
I don't think the defensive on use relic would do much good due to how hard DR hits defense rating once you're close to 28/29 percent. Anyone have the math on that?
I did the math on it a while back, and over time the defense on use relic is definitely far inferior to both the proc absorb and the static (PvP) defense relics. However, situational usage pushes up the value of this relic by quite a bit, and in ways that are unfortunately hard to model. A good example of this is the Nightmare Kephess fight, where there are discrete, punctual spurts of very high weapon damage. On that fight, I swap the on-use defense relic in for my heal relic. For most of the fight, the heal relic is better, but I really need that third cooldown while tanking Kephess himself.

For the record, my defense chance spikes up to a hair over 34% when I activate the relic, which is a gain of more than 5% (additive) from my base defense chance. So, the DR is still reasonably roomy at this point in my itemization. Roomy enough to sustain a relic activation, anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by psikofunkster View Post
Well, yes, im getting almost the same damage as a dps with my current relics. maybe i should give a try to the shield amplification one. IMO the ephemeral mendion one sounds for sages...
You need to run with better DPS. :-) I don't see how a shadow tank in *tanking* gear is going to get more than 800-900 DPS at the absolute most. Kitru is itemized partially for DPS (trading endurance for willpower at every interval), and even he only gets around 800 on an average fight. I get between 750 and 800 with my build. If I pop on my Campaign-level DPS gear, I can pretty easily get 1200 DPS in tank spec and stance, but not much more.

By way of comparison, when my Sorcerer was in Campaign gear, she was maxing at 1750 DPS. My Sentinel pushed 1850 in Campaign gear. In top-tier, optimized gear, my Sentinel does 2-2.1k DPS, which is 162% more DPS than my top-tier geared and optimized shadow tank.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017