Why should melee be essential?

Hexdoll

Seems at the current state of this game if all gear and such be equal, winnig is just a how many melee on the team...ergo you can have a team of just melee and heals, and pretty much stomp face against a ranged and heals team all day, everyday....

Seems the devs think that range is SO powerful that they need to equalize it by giving melee far more damage and damage mitigation than any ranged class, but that does not seem to be enough so they give melee classes gap closers to neutralize the thing they justified the dmg and mitigation in the first place.

I know some of you wont agree but you are probably the premade I see most the time with 3 melee and a heal.

the biggest reason that melee is so dominant is that almost all gap closers have 30m range.

with the exception of sniper (who is immune to gap closers in cover anyways), it is impossible for ranged classes to truly out-range melee opponents.

Range is very powerful but not an automatic "I win" button in all cases.

Knights have 4 (or 5 if you're a guardian) charges per min. Sorcs have how many knockbacks? How many sprints? If they can't kite with that they are dumb. If my melee is fighting 2 sorcs/sins that want to keep me at range indefinitely no matter what, they can do it with kbs and snares. If he's fighting 1 sorc/sin that wants to keep him at range and whittle him down, he will. Sure, I'll get a few hits in right after a charge but not enough to eat through a sorcs bubble/instant-heal and most can do far more instant ranged damage than a knight can do smashing without a way to build up singularities. What was that you say? Force stasis? 1x per min - you can use your cc break on half of them (and if you have other sorcs around make sure they use one of their kbs to break it so you don't have to bother blowing your cc-breaker). Mezzes? What's the point? And you have your own stuns and mezzes (and possibly bubblestuns and/or roots on kb). Oooh. You're a mercenary. I get it. Well, you suck vs ranged classes too so your point is moot. Actually, mercs don't suck but I care even less about that argument than I do this one. But it always seems to come up: "jks are OP'd", "no they aren't, they can be countered by doing this, this and this", "but jks are completely OP'd because I play a mercenary"...

Edited by WaywardOne

Seems at the current state of this game if all gear and such be equal, winnig is just a how many melee on the team...ergo you can have a team of just melee and heals, and pretty much stomp face against a ranged and heals team all day, everyday....

Seems the devs think that range is SO powerful that they need to equalize it by giving melee far more damage and damage mitigation than any ranged class, but that does not seem to be enough so they give melee classes gap closers to neutralize the thing they justified the dmg and mitigation in the first place.

I know some of you wont agree but you are probably the premade I see most the time with 3 melee and a heal.

Do me a favor and make a melee class. Get to 50. Make a video of you "wrecking people". When you fail miserably at it (smash spec will be nerfed by then) and can't spam lightning or project?

Come back here and say you were wrong.

BTW slinger/sniper is melee's counter class and their counter doesn't exist at 50. Why? Because of bubblestun. There is no such thing as a dps op/scoundrel at 50 anymore.

Most good players leave the sage/sorc class after becoming bored out of their mind. They reroll melee because they are much more challenging and fun. I never found it hard to kite anyone but a stealth class as a sorc and that was by design (rogue is always the mage classes counter). That is before bubblestun and when op/scoundrels could kill you in a few globals. Now? It is stupidly easy to kite.

Ranged classes are simply boring in mmo's. The slinger and sniper is refreshingly challenging, but that is also why no one plays it. They would rather play a hybrid healer and not heal and not cleanse and not kite and break their own cc by dotting everything in site, and then make posts like this...

I swear most of you roll the "cloth class" just so you have a built in excuse when you fail. Blah blah, I am "squishy", even though there are many specs that die much quicker then you.

I just want to be there when you try to play annihilation or carnage and can't charge a sniper. I expect you will be making a "nerf sniper" post somewhere in the future.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-inquisitor/sith-sorcerer/madness/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Man that is one INTENSE rotation. Let's see I have a tilt wheel G500 mouse. I don't even need control alt shift modifiers for this class!

Now let's compare this to the "faceroll/ezmode" rage/focus spec which has to watch a rage resource a singularity resource and a zen/centering stack.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-warrior/sith-marauder/rage/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Which one is faceroll? Oh yeah and marauders have to do this while moving...and they also have to buff their party, and on and on and on.

Op, I have a better question. Why are specs/AC's like sorc/sage even in this game? Oh yeah, because people need a "faceroll class". I am fine with that. It allows me quicker warzone queues You seem to be mad that people are playing harder specs, and outperforming you. I suggest getting better, or trying those specs out. You may find out you were mistaken...about a great many things...

Edited by biowareftw

If you are ranged and stand there and try to facetank a melee, you deserve every beatdown you get.

And don't make me laugh about a 3 melee and heal premade, they are doomed to fail. It's incredibly easy to seperate a healer from melee. All those gap closers you complain about, generally make the melee OUTRANGE the healer, meaning they become very easy to burn down. Heck, as a guardian tank, where I'm actively trying to stay at my healer's side, you can be easily seperated. All your team needs is 2 people with a pull that move to opposite sides of the tank and healer. I've been victimized by this more times than you can count.

the funniest part of the original post is the perplexity about why melee have better defenses than ranged. uh...because they're getting hit more often by both ranged and melee units. a melee unit can't hit a ranged unit from range.

not talking about gap closers. you have separators/escapes too. there's a reason they call it the "front line"

range can't get space from melee. with slows, roots, stuns, mezzes and all the cc there's no way to open space and gain range and tactical advantage from a melee. they can stick to you and there's nothing you can do about it. that's the problem. the crowd control that allows them to stick to you like velcro.

their job is to get to you they can. your job is to keep away and due to the mechanics and design of the game you cannot.

it should be as easy for you though class skills and control mechanics to open space as it is for them to close space but it isn't.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-inquisitor/sith-sorcerer/madness/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Man that is one INTENSE rotation. Let's see I have a tilt wheel G500 mouse. I don't even need control alt shift modifiers for this class!

Now let's compare this to the "faceroll/ezmode" rage/focus spec which has to watch a rage resource a singularity resource and a zen/centering stack.

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith-warrior/sith-marauder/rage/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Which one is faceroll? Oh yeah and marauders have to do this while moving...and they also have to buff their party, and on and on and on.

Op, I have a better question. Why are specs/AC's like sorc/sage even in this game? Oh yeah, because people need a "faceroll class". I am fine with that. It allows me quicker warzone queues You seem to be mad that people are playing harder specs, and outperforming you. I suggest getting better, or trying those specs out. You may find out you were mistaken...about a great many things...

yet with rage spec being so hard there's always 4 to 5 smashmonkeys in every wz. where's the roving packs of 5 sorcs? oh there arent packs of sorcs all running around sorc'ing everything :D

range can't get space from melee. with slows, roots, stuns, mezzes and all the cc there's no way to open space and gain range and tactical advantage from a melee. they can stick to you and there's nothing you can do about it. that's the problem. the crowd control that allows them to stick to you like velcro.

their job is to get to you they can. your job is to keep away and due to the mechanics and design of the game you cannot.

it should be as easy for you though class skills and control mechanics to open space as it is for them to close space but it isn't.

If that were the case, why ever play a melee character then? If melee can't get any time on target while a ranged can have 100% up time within 30m, well then melee becomes useless.

With the exception or merc all the ranged classes in this game have TONS of ways to keep melee off of them.

I have a full warhero shadow, sentinel, scoundrel and sage. Of all of these, I find the sage the most effective (at least in non-ranked) these days. The reason? Bubble stun. I don't use it myself -- I play full balance usually -- but sages don't get bubble stunned (by non-ranked teams).

Playing my sentinel is an exercise in frustration. She still puts out good numbers, but it's stun stun stun stun the whole game.