Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

GalacticKegger
02.05.2013 , 12:12 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by magecutter View Post
you make several valid points OP and as a lvl 50 watchman/sentinel I've had to learn to throttle down the threat when needed and let the tank do his job.
Raid awareness & discipline ... you sir should be knighted.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

TheSeventhJedi
02.05.2013 , 12:17 PM | #12
You're welcome.
The Windstalker Legacy
Exandrus Hylaea
Ezindra Flakk

magecutter
02.05.2013 , 12:18 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Gimmie one taunt, one aggro bomb, one stun and one interrupt & I'll tank Godzilla with a whiffle bat and a frisbee.
Funniest line ever... well done G"

and thx, very kind of you to say. took a while and the patience of many people to learn that one
hey little crazy person... time to go for a nice shuttle ride. - J Cobb

ATAMIANM
02.05.2013 , 12:23 PM | #14
My mains are DPS marauder and assassin. I started a healer, and have put that on hold because I wanted to learn to tank. So I made a Jedi Guardian and currently am at level 45.

I am finding that tanking is not nearly as easy as DPS- nothing new there, but it is interesting EXPERIENCING what others have said in flashpoints. I have had some wonderful flashpoints where I was a new tank, said so, and others who had tank alts walked me through what to do as tank and gently made sure I was holding aggro. But by far, most PUGs tend to be free for alls- everyone just does what they please and usually there is a wipe or two. Most people don't wait for tank instructions, or don't listen, or let the tank to control the flow.

I am hoping my experiences as a tank will help me play my DPS more responsibly. Maybe EVERYONE should be forced to create a tank and experience the pain firsthand.

ItchyThePenguin
02.05.2013 , 12:25 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by magecutter View Post
you make several valid points OP and as a lvl 50 watchman/sentinel I've had to learn to throttle down the threat when needed and let the tank do his job.

I've heard/read that Guardians are the ones that have the most problems maintaining threat and have seen many calls for a change in that area.
1.) You're my favorite kind of DPS!

2.) As a Guardian I will say that it can sometimes be difficult to maintain threat, particularly at the beginning of a fight. Long term, however, threat management is just fine.

Anyways, I certainly appreciate this thread! It's sometimes frustrating being a tank, but it's definitely worth it.
Jedi Guardian -- Miscreant (55)
Formerly of Mind Trick and Corellian Run -- Now of The Shadowlands

SnoggyMack
02.05.2013 , 12:26 PM | #16
Tanking in this game is easier than tanking was in Everquest, at least in terms of dealing with aggro management and over-zealous DPS. So even when things go pear shaped in PUG flashpoints, I still find it far more relaxing than, say, a bad pull in Vex Thal or death touch rotations in Plane of Sky nonsense way back in the day.

Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Icebergy
02.05.2013 , 12:27 PM | #17
Tanks...You're welcome.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

AsheraII
02.05.2013 , 12:28 PM | #18
I really like tanking in this game, including pre-50, and I can really advice people who didn't like tanking in other games, to give it a shot in this game. It's actually fun to do.
That said, bad DPS CAN mess up a good tank, and that is sometimes the frustrating part of it. But when running with other players who know their limits and understand that the tank handles the pulling and they don't, it really can be a lot of fun.

If someone gives me the impression that they're racing the content and keeps pulling more groups, I simply warn them that I'll taunt the mobs of their back only once. Next time they do it, I leave them to rot, run off, and let the encounter reset itself.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

jedip_enguin
02.05.2013 , 12:31 PM | #19
I find the less I say in flashpoints the better, and lets face it every flashpoint before the 50's could be completed by smashing the keyboard repeatedly with a large moist haddock (yes it HAS to be a haddock)
I like big referrals and I cannot lie - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

caveslug
02.05.2013 , 12:32 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I enjoy tanking on my Juggernaut & Guardian. It's old school where threat is earned via technique - not by competing with dps for damage aggro. Where taunts and aggro bombs are kept in reserve for emergencies & breakaways. I like the challenge of having to keep my toon's head on a constant swivel and having to use terrain features to break LOS & set up dps. I also like my tanking to be up close & personal, hence the preference for Jug & Guardian. Gimmie one taunt, one aggro bomb, one stun and one interrupt & I'll tank Godzilla with a whiffle bat and a frisbee.
Don't get me wrong,

My Jugg is my only tank atm, I find powertech puts me to sleep. Its entirely faceroll with its 3-4 buttons.
I just got a shadow to 50 couple days ago, I joined a FP as a tank in tionese gear. I had no issues holding threat against dps in rakata and black hole gear. Sadly I feel more like a sage, then a melee dps with this class.

Hands down I prefer tanking on my jugg, so much so that I'm thinking of leveling a guardian next. As I have already respeced my shadow to infiltration, and would like to have a dedicated tank on republic side.

I would wager, most threat issues are truly on dps that feel the need to ignore weak adds. And go balls to the wall on strongs first, leaving the tank to run around trying to get aggro on all the weak mobs beating on the healer. I see this daily myself, with the 3-4 HM FP I run.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P