Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

thomasbaxter
03.28.2013 , 10:00 AM | #41
The ones who say it's the best story for making you feel part of the bigger picture are right. That's one thing I'll give you, you do feel more involved in the politics of the war. That said if I played a virtual accountant doing the jedi's tax returns I would be too, but that doesn't mean I'd want to play 50 levels of it lol.

The companions for the consular to me are just creeps.

Spoiler

That said the problem also for me was the lack of interesting enemies. You know I remember every enemy from all the classes I've done but consular which, to me, indicates how interesting I found them. Heck I remember the first baddies the warrior, inquisitor, agent and knight all met but I can't even remember the final one for JC.

One of the biggest problems with the JC class like I've said previously is a lot of the class stories are so grindy (collect 4 leaves, touch 4 alters, kill 4 people) it seems the writers knew the story was quite thin they had to space it out. I remember one of the villains you battle on a ship, for example, was just this one guy at the back but u had to fight through like 10 rooms of the same mobs. Was frustrating.

Anyway obv each to their own but i still won't play the JC again. Well I have a shadow but I'm levelling him purely through space missions and flashpoints because the actual CLASS is amazing

Rykko
03.28.2013 , 10:32 AM | #42
Consular's biggest appeal for me is that he has the Obi-Wan bearing and outlook so utterly devoid from the Knight story who is just some botched attempt at a Luke Skywalker.

Obi-Wan's nickname is "The Negotiator" which is why chs 2 and 3 are about diplomacy and indeed you would not know the fate of places like Balmorra otherwise as the other classes breeze though looking out for their own class missions only.

If you play LS, Chapter 1 is primarily about self sacrifice which is perhaps not a popular topic with a wider audience and even though it has no meaningful consequence it fits the vision of a well trained noble Jedi like Kenobi.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

SladetheHunter
03.30.2013 , 10:35 AM | #43
Personally I am enjoying the Consular story, but then again I majored in history in college I do agree that Qyzen is turning out to be really good as a companion. Out of all the classes my consular is the ONLY one to take down a "gold star" enemy without resorting to Heroic moments buffs. To each their own I guess.
The hunter has found peace and the Force in the shadows

jovianus
03.30.2013 , 11:19 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Rykko View Post
Consular's biggest appeal for me is that he has the Obi-Wan bearing and outlook so utterly devoid from the Knight story who is just some botched attempt at a Luke Skywalker.

Obi-Wan's nickname is "The Negotiator" which is why chs 2 and 3 are about diplomacy and indeed you would not know the fate of places like Balmorra otherwise as the other classes breeze though looking out for their own class missions only.

If you play LS, Chapter 1 is primarily about self sacrifice which is perhaps not a popular topic with a wider audience and even though it has no meaningful consequence it fits the vision of a well trained noble Jedi like Kenobi.
This is pretty much exactly why I like the Consular story. We hear about the Jedi being healers and diplomats and counselors quite a ibt, but we generally only get to see them as action heroes. It's nice to have a class story that actually explores those other aspects.

DarkLordSurpreme
03.30.2013 , 01:03 PM | #45
I've been enjoying the consular story very much! I'm playing through as DS and loving it. I saved my master but killed the others. Why? Because all of them in my mind as I was playing crossed the line. Each of them plotted and killed many innocent people. Examples are the master on Taris, the daughter on the ship, etc...my master only attacked me on her madness not worthy of a killing blow. Seriously if I saved those Jedi after sacrificing my strength they shouldnt get a free pass for the horrible things they did. Thats why I was their judge and executioner and I loved that. I prevented in each way the Sith plague master from getting stronger. Now I feel like Commander Sheppard amassing this army to fight the empire and it feels great. All the dialogue for these moments is top notch. I know haters are going to hate but I hate when people have been saying on here that the cosular story line is not Star Wars enough and that The Jedi Knight is......seriously guys a sith lord companion?? He doesnt even turn to the LS...Same thing pissed me off avoit my Inq and the jedi padawan I picked up ***??? So in closing I think the Cosular is spot on in story and fitting companions!

jovianus
03.30.2013 , 04:07 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkLordSurpreme View Post
I've been enjoying the consular story very much! I'm playing through as DS and loving it. I saved my master but killed the others. Why? Because all of them in my mind as I was playing crossed the line. Each of them plotted and killed many innocent people. Examples are the master on Taris, the daughter on the ship, etc...my master only attacked me on her madness not worthy of a killing blow. Seriously if I saved those Jedi after sacrificing my strength they shouldnt get a free pass for the horrible things they did. Thats why I was their judge and executioner and I loved that. I prevented in each way the Sith plague master from getting stronger. Now I feel like Commander Sheppard amassing this army to fight the empire and it feels great. All the dialogue for these moments is top notch. I know haters are going to hate but I hate when people have been saying on here that the cosular story line is not Star Wars enough and that The Jedi Knight is......seriously guys a sith lord companion?? He doesnt even turn to the LS...Same thing pissed me off avoit my Inq and the jedi padawan I picked up ***??? So in closing I think the Cosular is spot on in story and fitting companions!
Well, I'd point out that Yuon had a rather significant advantage in that she, literally, fell ill right in front of the Jedi Council and was immediately put under close supervision and care. The other Masters were operating alone, on worlds not fully controlled by the Republic, so there was no one around to keep them from fully slipping into madness.

Costello
03.31.2013 , 10:11 AM | #47
This was my final story to play through and a big hats off to anyone that managed this without being bored to death. None of my choice seem to have any effect on anything in the game and what should have been amazing story was some how drained of any interest.

Spoiler

More so some of the difficult choices in the story were so meaningless as to be forgotten as soon as they were made. I killed every jedi and republic person I could and I still come out a hero.

Spoiler

So really have to say if anyone is wondering if they should do this story, make sure you do it on double xp weekends or an already dull story will be so drawn out as to be painful.

jovianus
04.01.2013 , 06:45 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
This was my final story to play through and a big hats off to anyone that managed this without being bored to death. None of my choice seem to have any effect on anything in the game and what should have been amazing story was some how drained of any interest.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Quote:
More so some of the difficult choices in the story were so meaningless as to be forgotten as soon as they were made. I killed every jedi and republic person I could and I still come out a hero.

Spoiler
Spoiler

smartalectwo
04.03.2013 , 10:32 PM | #49
Though I really appreciated the way the Consular story tried to reach towards the diplomatic and mystic aspects of Jedi work, I can't help but feel the story was a series of missed opportunities. Events would build to what I thought would be a great twist, only for things to play out in a much more mundane direction.

Where to begin?

Spoiler

... so yes. The Consular story was adequate, but it's the story so far that's left me with the most 'wouldn't it have been cool if...' thoughts.
There is no try.

Oogtug
04.05.2013 , 01:33 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Gankstah View Post
A "competent" story is any piece of writing with proper punctuation and grammatical syntax. Green Eggs And Ham is a competent story. Teletubbies have competent writers. Which is where I suspect BioWare dug up the writer(s) of the consular arc.

A previous poster, whom doesn't merit direct quotation, mentioned how saving these masters was not an act "required" of a Jedi and thus makes logical sense in the story. Any GOOD writer would have reserved the Jedi Master title for a player who at least saved 1/2 of the masters and rewarded the ridiculously named "über" title for those players who managed to save all of the masters. Instead they hand these things out like candy. There's no sense of deserved accomplishment.

I mock the order, murder it's most prominent servants, bring about the deaths of hundreds of masters and deliberately disrespect not only the council but every person in my path at every given opportunity and am subsequently granted the highest honors the order has to offer.

THAT, by definition, is bad writing.

How any individual with an IQ greater than that of a turnip could defend that kind of story telling is beyond any level of understanding I possess.
You must hate the movies.

As far as this thread overall... just look at every last one of you that's stated you hate the Jedi Consular story.

#1 Almost all of you have stated the Jedi Consular was not your first play through, making you otherwise familiar with much that occurs in some way. Which severely limits your ability to enjoy the story the same way.

#2 Almost all of you have stated that you enjoyed other classes stories that are much -less- subtle, much more focused on your own actions, choices and situation and more 'personal' in some way. Almost all of them have direct goals, plots, consequences and choices to be made.

#3 You've all displayed in what you've written a clear disposition towards high octane action scenarios, grandios enemies and memorable climaxes.

You don't like the Jedi Consular story because it does not suit you, it does not fit your personality type and your expectations of it do not coincide with what it's attempting to do what so ever.

The Jedi consular story plays out as a mystery/suspense story with a lot of self-sacrifice or philosophically based judgements for the greater good that otherwise affect you as a character very little. They do on the other hand affect the grander scale of the world in a much more impactful way than most of the other class stories.

I could dissect it, and you further. But please, at least have the objectivity to understand that not every story appeals to everyone.... Guess what... I find the vast majority of action movies arbitrary naive and stupid rollercoaster rides for ignorant people and children, I felt the Jedi Knight, Sith Inquisitor and BH storylines were the exact same way.. stupid 'thrills' for the sake of thrills with absolutely no backing or purpose behind them. Stupid entertainment for stupid people too busy being stupid to put thought into their actions.

Not to say you're dumb, but that's my equally biased and naively stated opinion of those stories...

The fact of the matter is.. based on my expectations of Bioware, a good book, and Star Wars.. the class story for -every- class blows the fat chode of a alpha male babboon rubbed in poison ivy. And if you think any different, good for you.. Not to say it's -terrible- (It is, generally), but it comes no where near the potential that I know it could have met.

Really, and this will sound rude.. the biggest complaint I see coming from people stems from the inability to think for themselves. Like truthfully, if you chose to kill all the Masters, made sensible choices in conversations to fit what your character would do.. all it takes is a basic understanding of the Philosophies behind the Jedi Order to understand why it was 'Ok' to kill them. Not ideal, but not inherently 'evil', simply the darker of two paths.

One last edit. I -completely- agree with the guy above me. The biggest true flaw of the Jedi Consular story is those missed opportunities.. it has the makings and backdrop for easily the most engaging and best story of the entire game, but so many missed opportunities to capitalize upon it. Luckily, I have this thing called an imagination.