Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why the consular story makes me want to be dead (Possible Spoilers)

thomasbaxter
02.05.2013 , 05:30 AM | #1
Okay each to their own as they say but apart from the fact the characters were boring in my opinion and the baddies were forgetful. The problem with the consular story is it just shows what is BAD about MMOs.

Okay in act 1 yeah every story has to do 4 things so fair does but the problem with this class is it's the same thing almost every planet. Gotta find 3 things or destroy 3 things etc. I mean on Voss the quest line went something like:

Collect 3 branches
Visit 3 alters
kill 3 guards

and the times when you went to defeat one of the children of the empire, there was you running through about 10 rooms full of baddies just to get to this one guy at tthe far room (i mean most of the time I was just running thru and respawning).

The whole story just felt like busywork to me and , though MMOs are generally like that, I didn't notice this in the Inquisitor story (which I did twice). I want to level a shadow but I ain't doing that story again lol.

.....the companions I thought were dull bar Nadia and, surprisingly, Qyzen who turned out to be a lot more interesting ...

slafko
02.05.2013 , 06:07 AM | #2
I rather liked the Consular story. And yes, Qyzen and Nadia rule.

FROIDBUSTER
02.05.2013 , 08:48 AM | #3
Qyzen rules only in so far that without a point of reference (i.e. Consular is your first character), you don't realize how lacking he is as a main companion until you play some of the other classes and realize how great their first crew member is.

Coupled with a sluggish rather muddled Chapter 1. The idea of a plague affecting Jedi Masters from an expedition is a little much for TORs story-telling considering the planet the plague originated on, the masters themselves, and the entire Rogue-Republic faction is way too much new stuff for 1 little chapter to adequately explain or properly setup. Thus you're given only cursory explanations followed by a conga-line of generic forgettable Jedi and Quasi-Sith enemies.

So essentially you have the 8th best starter companion, helping you complete one of the worst class stories, playing a class who quite frankly got pretty gypped when it came to their spell particles and effects. ("The Jedi equivalent of force lightning stuff... is um air and rocks and force persuade dialogue choices!" is a big stretch and sort of lame choice from a visual gameplay perspective).

The entire Consular experience wouldn't have been near as jarringly bad if one or two or those things weren't true. A solid lead companion alone might have been enough to prop up the class story, or even just making it more simplistic to allow the game to buildup and give you a stronger Antagonist/more memorable Jedi masters to save.

ZeroPlus
02.05.2013 , 09:59 AM | #4
I have yet to finish the Consular story. Currently at lvl45 and about to get Nadia.

I've enjoyed the story (so far, just started Chapter 3).

Spoiler

As I said above, I've enjoyed the story so far.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

thomasbaxter
02.05.2013 , 10:28 AM | #5
Yeah like I say each to their own. If I'm expanding on it slightly more, I've found the rep side stories a lot duller than the sith side stories but I think Bioware had more creative control over the baddies while the goodies have a sort of 'canon' they need to stick by.

The consular class I actually love. The story so far I've just not wanted to continue at all. The finale is quite cool and very star-wars 'return of the jedi' end but none of the bad guys are memorable. The Jedi Knight story I have only played to level 35 and it's not been as good as warrior or inq but there's at least been a few memorable bad guys

Qyzen I warmed to as when u do his side quests:

Spoiler

u start to like him. Still, as froid said the inquisitor first companion knocks Qyzen out the park. The other companions bar Nadia annoy me and I really don't even like seeing them on my ship haha.

RendValor
02.05.2013 , 10:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasbaxter View Post
Okay each to their own as they say but apart from the fact the characters were boring in my opinion and the baddies were forgetful. The problem with the consular story is it just shows what is BAD about MMOs.

Okay in act 1 yeah every story has to do 4 things so fair does but the problem with this class is it's the same thing almost every planet
Jedi Knight: destroy 4 super weapons
Trooper: kill 4 republic traitors
Bounty Hunter: kill 4 "Great Hunt" targets
Sith Inquisitor: find 4 Tulak Horde artifacts
Imperial Agent: dismantle 4 terrorist cells

So how is that different from every other Act I from every other class?
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Gankstah
02.05.2013 , 02:59 PM | #7
Couple nights ago I finished Chapter I with my buddy in tow on TS. He watched as I planted my saber square into my master's face. He said, I kid you not. "HOW ARE YOU STILL A JEDI?!?"

To that, I had no answer.

By the the time I was 32ish I had already personally killed 6 Jedi Masters, my own master included, and was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds more (that's plural) throughout the galaxy. I get back to Tython expecting some kind of reprisal... Hell at the very least a stern talking to. What do I get?

I GET PROMOTED.

So let me get this straight... I kill more Jedi leadership than all the Imperial classes COMBINED and I get a promotion? Not just any promotion either. Apparently I'm the second coming of the great Jedi Jesus because they gimme a special title and then put me in charge of a bunch of whiney diplomats who I can't wait to kill.

Whoever wrote this story is a moron. It's so bad it's hysterical.

thomasbaxter
02.05.2013 , 03:02 PM | #8
""Couple nights ago I finished Chapter I with my buddy in tow on TS. He watched as I planted my saber square into my master's face. He said, I kid you not. "HOW ARE YOU STILL A JEDI?!?"

To that, I had no answer.

By the the time I was 32ish I had already personally killed 6 Jedi Masters, my own master included, and was directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds more (that's plural) throughout the galaxy. I get back to Tython expecting some kind of reprisal... Hell at the very least a stern talking to. What do I get?

I GET PROMOTED.

So let me get this straight... I kill more Jedi leadership than all the Imperial classes COMBINED and I get a promotion? Not just any promotion either. Apparently I'm the second coming of the great Jedi Jesus because the gimme a special title and then put me in charge of a bunch if whiney diplomats who I can't wait to kill.

Whoever wrote this story is a moron. It's so bad it's hysterical.""

**** I know right it was hilariousally bad. It was just like Satele Shan was asking "Why did u kill them?" and ur like 'just felt like it '.....and they end up saying 'oh well as long as u tried your best' lol

On another note, u not find a lot of the rep players get really angry at you for going dark side. Real die hards on the red eclipse for sure haha.

Another bit of continuity that bugged me was just how easily Qyzen gets over the fact u chopped his best pal up lol

kirorx
02.05.2013 , 04:47 PM | #9
i enjoyed it alot the scene with the meeting on Alderran was awesome. Plus i enjoy the companions alot more than the companions i was given for my knight, i hate my knight.

I agree with that sith side has more interesting storylines though, yet none of the stories i really disliked.
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

ElitehunterDS
02.05.2013 , 04:57 PM | #10
Being my 5th level 50, first pub, hated it, its probably the worst class story in-game for me.
Qyzen and Nadia are the best part, Belsavis was the most fun (i know ironic right)
In order of how i love each story
  • Agent
  • Inquisitor
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Warrior
  • ... Reserved for next class
  • Consular
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)