Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

your mats/ no fee?


psandak's Avatar


psandak
02.05.2013 , 09:03 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by parmie View Post
Yes, I've not come across an untrustworthy crafter yet on my server. It would be very difficult to make any sensible gain if you tried to cheat people out of mats as they would surely spam their name all over general for doing so.
You would be surprised how often players get ripped off and never say a word (probably due to embarrassment). Yes, they will submit a CS ticket to try to get their money/mats back, but I have been playing MMOs for a long time, and have never seen any general chatter regarding someone ripping another person off.

Getting back on topic, like others have said, trade mats for a finished product and you will be fine.

Bigronx's Avatar


Bigronx
02.05.2013 , 11:11 AM | #12
Most of my business is done through mail.

There is zero risk if doing it this way if you get ripped off just send a petition to get your mats back and the person will be suspened or banned.

In the year or so playing this game i have seen a couple instances with people in general claiming they got ripped off and usually it was from a guild mate that was robbing the whole guild.

Ripping someone off from mats only does one thing ......get no more mats from them or prob anyone ever again.

uniz's Avatar


uniz
02.05.2013 , 12:00 PM | #13
edited for clarity and pulled a response i found to be wrong.

but as to the critting of the item, doesnt the person who gave the mats actually is entitled to the critted item too if the mats were used in the making of the item he received which critted? specifically if there was no agreement made one way or the other prior to making the item. just asking the question and am curious as to the rational of some answers to this. personally i dont care one way or another as i dont craft on consignment. but it is something to think about.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
02.05.2013 , 12:26 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
legacy perk is for augment slots only. please let me know when this was changed to additional items too.

but as to the critting of the item, doesnt the person who gave the mats actually is entitled to the critted item too if the mats were used in the making of the item he received which critted? specifically if there was no agreement made one way or the other prior to making the item. just asking the question and am curious as to the rational of some answers to this. personally i dont care one way or another as i dont craft on consignment. but it is something to think about.
You probably come from WoW where that debate has been long fought without a real resolution...

In a game like WoW where a player can give another player materials and 10 seconds later get an item there is more strength to that argument. But even then, it really all depends on the two players who agree to work together. there are a myriad of possible agreements too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say that the two participants have to agree to the terms. Personally, I had too many bad experiences with players wanting me to craft stuff for them. Which is why I focused my efforts to acquiring my own materials, crafting stuff, and selling it on the auction house.

In a game like SWTOR where crafting high level items takes an hour or more, the overwhelming majority of the time players with materials are trading those materials for an already completed finished good; an "even swap" as it were. What the crafter player does with those materials is beyond the scope of the player with the materials needs to know; especially when there is no fee involved. But again, it boils down to what the players are willing to agree to. If you, as the materials player, is willing to trade/send those materials to a crafter and wait a long time to get the finished good and the crafter is willing to give you back whatever results are generated...good for you. But you materials player will have to trust the crafter player enough to accept what he gives you as the results of crafting with your materials. Not so easy with strangers.

Crafting for guildmates is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. They have the materials, you have the recipe/schematic. You are supposed to be friendly; you can trust your guildmate. So sending materials to be crafted into a finished good, a guildmate should give all the crafted results.

snoopies's Avatar


snoopies
02.05.2013 , 12:56 PM | #15
Why would you get the additional item? It is implied in the "free" crafting part that a crit belongs to the cafter. Otherwise they'd charge a large fee for the crafting.

You can get a 25% chance to crit, 15 base/10 for orange items. Guessing at lvl 400 they are all yellow to craft.

Screaming_Ziva's Avatar


Screaming_Ziva
02.05.2013 , 01:26 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by parmie View Post
Yes, I've not come across an untrustworthy crafter yet on my server. It would be very difficult to make any sensible gain if you tried to cheat people out of mats as they would surely spam their name all over general for doing so.
I'd have to agree that most crafters are trustworthy. Although, there are some people who are a bit too trusting.

About a month ago I finished a weekly Op with a PUG. I got back to fleet and advertised what I could craft for people. I got a tell from someone I just raided with (never met them before) saying they needed me to make a ton of mods for them. I was thinking 2 or maybe 3 but I met him over at the guild bank and was absolutely shocked when he opened trade. He put up 72 stabilizers, 72 mandalorian iron, 108 durasteel, and 108 zal alloy. He wanted 18 mods! This was from someone who I had 'known' in an op for maybe a half hour.

Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
If we're talking about Cybertech, it's a bit more than that. Those crafts have a 10% base crit chance, plus 5% from 10k affection from companion, plus 5% from the legacy droid part, plus the legacy perk for another 3%. So for armorings and mods is 23%
This is where you sometimes hate the RNG. Of those 18 mods above, I crit on only TWO of them.

POPsi's Avatar


POPsi
02.06.2013 , 03:05 AM | #17
I didn't have a single crit for the last 12-15 armorings I've crafted. My buddy who is approximately doing the same amount of transactions as me usually crits at least 2 times a day.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
02.06.2013 , 08:41 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by snoopies View Post
Why would you get the additional item? It is implied in the "free" crafting part that a crit belongs to the cafter. Otherwise they'd charge a large fee for the crafting.

You can get a 25% chance to crit, 15 base/10 for orange items. Guessing at lvl 400 they are all yellow to craft.
Hence the many years long debate. there is a school of thought - my mats, my results. I am NOT saying I agree, in fact I don't. And you are correct that because of the "free" crafting aspect you would think that the material provider would be happy getting one finished good he could not normally get, but this is not always the case.

Quote: Originally Posted by POPsi View Post
I didn't have a single crit for the last 12-15 armorings I've crafted. My buddy who is approximately doing the same amount of transactions as me usually crits at least 2 times a day.
RNG is a b****. Believe me when I tell you that your friend's results will average out eventually. I know because there was a period of time when every night as I logged out I would send companions on grade 6 slicing missions and the next day they 3 of 4 would come back with a crit - ANAs AND two schematics was common. In the last month, I have gotten ONE crit. Not complaining because I am still above the curve over the long haul.

uniz's Avatar


uniz
02.06.2013 , 07:11 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
You probably come from WoW where that debate has been long fought without a real resolution...

In a game like WoW where a player can give another player materials and 10 seconds later get an item there is more strength to that argument. But even then, it really all depends on the two players who agree to work together. there are a myriad of possible agreements too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say that the two participants have to agree to the terms. Personally, I had too many bad experiences with players wanting me to craft stuff for them. Which is why I focused my efforts to acquiring my own materials, crafting stuff, and selling it on the auction house.

In a game like SWTOR where crafting high level items takes an hour or more, the overwhelming majority of the time players with materials are trading those materials for an already completed finished good; an "even swap" as it were. What the crafter player does with those materials is beyond the scope of the player with the materials needs to know; especially when there is no fee involved. But again, it boils down to what the players are willing to agree to. If you, as the materials player, is willing to trade/send those materials to a crafter and wait a long time to get the finished good and the crafter is willing to give you back whatever results are generated...good for you. But you materials player will have to trust the crafter player enough to accept what he gives you as the results of crafting with your materials. Not so easy with strangers.

Crafting for guildmates is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances. They have the materials, you have the recipe/schematic. You are supposed to be friendly; you can trust your guildmate. So sending materials to be crafted into a finished good, a guildmate should give all the crafted results.
no i came from eq1 and eq2 where crafting was far more involved and complicated. where you had a chance of failure and rare materials HAD to be harvested or mobs killed by yourself as some were no-trade (bop). also you had to physically craft and not click a button then go afk or send a companion out. there was a mechanic in place to make bop items which require you to meet the player at a crafting station and both of you had to be there. god forbid if you failed on the combine and wasted the materials. cant fail in this game. dont have to go anywhere either. just summon a mail droid and send your companion out and continue on with what you are doing.

but your answer is what i anticipated when you differentiate between guildies and non guildies. that is ok as in this game far too many people have 26/27 schematics where reputation plays very little of a role. i also understand the trusting part as i have been playing these mmos for over 12 years. i too would do the swap thing if i didn't have so many schematics. but i dont advertise on fleet to make this or that. i only make items for the gtn and guildies. you did comment about making a agreement prior to the crafting which i am in favor of and have always done over the years. it eliminates a lot of potential problems that can come up. but many people dont do this so i asked the question specifically without such agreements. i am more interested in peoples responses to what i said about crits and reasons for it. also i was unaware blizzard had a similar mechanic and would have not made the post if this was known.

thank you for your response

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
02.06.2013 , 11:16 PM | #20
I'd always been nervous about people advertising the service in gen chat, so I never availed myself of it.

I only gave mats to crafters in exchange for gear when I actually knew the player personally.

Oddly enough, now that I've done some end-game crafting myself, I've had a few people see the items I list on the GTN, /friend me, and then whisper when I'm online if I'd be willing to do a mats/gear trade. I've never advertised in gen chat for the service though.