Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Scrapper's Handbook: A PvP Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
The Scrapper's Handbook: A PvP Guide

ronniehenlau
03.18.2013 , 02:25 PM | #121
Great guide!
One thing: you didnt mention anything about the carnage marauders control (deadly throw and ravage root)+ +15% passive speed buff. All in all you honestly want to just **** when against a carnage mara with his cds up. Also, dotting him is bad seeing as you dot yourself with cop up. :-)

ktkenshinx
03.18.2013 , 05:21 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Starhugger View Post
Hey Boss'

Great guide, much love. Can't really think about anything you could add but I have some questions.

Could you please tell me how gearing is going to change in 2.0 considering the usage of PVE shells? I just absolutely hate most of our armor skins yet I love the 15% BB crit. Is this still going to be an issue in 2,0?
Glad to hear it was helpful. If any other questions/comments come to mind, please let me know and I will definitely get around to them.

Re: 2.0 Gearing
There are a lot of changes that 2.0 is going to bring to gearing. The biggest issue right now is the uselesness of crit rating. There is literally no reason to have a single point of crit rating on any of your gear right now. Power will always give you the better bang for your buck from a damage expected-value perspective. But I am hoping that this will get changed before release, so I am unwilling to weigh in too heavily on that here. Alacrity is another issue, but I am pretty sure that the optimal balance on Alacrity/Surge is either a 5/5 or a 6/4 split on the Alacrity/Surge enhancements.

As for set bonuses, as far as I can tell on the PTS, the PvE set bonus for BB Crit Chance is still the best option for a 2 piece bonus. After that, you probably want to pick up the 2 piece PvP Medic bonus for a 10% increase to Shield Probe absorption; that's a high value ability that we lose a lot in WZs. Because set bonuses are now just tied to the armoring mod itself, you can use whatever shells you want to (at least, that's what I remember). So no worries about the aesthetics! Just rip stuff out and put stuff in wherever you want.
Quote:
Also, what do you think about scamper I found it really frustrating that I roll wherever the camera looks and not where my char does, also won't everyone cry nerf? I noticed how much distance I can roll down with some energy management and its unbelievable after having had to wait almost every fire in HBALL.
I'm just interested about how it will affect your warzone guides and when/if we will see it updated to 2.0.
Scamper is amazing. It improves our WZ impact across the board, especially on Novare coast; it is now possible to consistently take the mid speed boost without being contested and then stealthrace over to stop their node cap. It also really helps out in Huttball, as you observed.
Quote:
Never forget Serenity Valley! :P
They'll never take the sky from me/us!
Quote: Originally Posted by ronniehenlau View Post
Great guide!
One thing: you didnt mention anything about the carnage marauders control (deadly throw and ravage root)+ +15% passive speed buff. All in all you honestly want to just **** when against a carnage mara with his cds up. Also, dotting him is bad seeing as you dot yourself with cop up. :-)
I can add a small note about that. It really isn't that big of a deal. One thing I like to do during the Ravage root is throw down a Kolto Pack heal; even with the pushback, you can still resolve it. The Mar can't interrupt without messing up his big damage Ravage. The throw is a bit more annoying, but you shouldn't be trying to kite over long distances anyway. Whenever you pick a battle, you want to fight near corners and edges. With very few exceptions, you can find such a place on whatever map you are playing on. That means you can root and run to cover and the Mar is very unlikely to have the reaction speed or even time to just root you and prevent that escape.

Here's the thing with Cloak of Pain. You need Flechette Round to win the Marauder fight; 2 FRs is just so much unmitigated damage, and you need your AP up at all times. So at a certain point in time, you just need to accept that the FR ticks are going to keep the Cloak up. Now, one thing that you should not always be doing is relying on VS. Towards the end of the fight, when the Mar pops Rage, you probably want to FB to outlast its 4second duration. VS could mess that plan up. So VS does not necessarily need to be a part of your anti-marauder arsenal. Sometimes it makes sense to counter CoP with Flashbang, but only if you somehow know that Rage isn't also ready to go.

If, however, you can guarantee a fight in an area with lots of LoS (Civil War side nodes come to mind), then VS becomes invaluable. You need to keep causing damage even as you kite to heal, so as to widen the health gap even further. Counting Expertise damage bonuses and the chance at crits, VS can add about 4k damage at the cost of just 1 GCD, all unmitigated by armor. Over an 18second fight, that's a big leg up for us.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

agsyjuco
03.18.2013 , 08:28 PM | #123
Great guide here, ktkenshinx! I've been checking this thread regularly for updates, and am glad somebody finally went through the trouble of putting one together.

Quick question on 2.0 set bonuses...

Quote: Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
As for set bonuses, as far as I can tell on the PTS, the PvE set bonus for BB Crit Chance is still the best option for a 2 piece bonus. After that, you probably want to pick up the 2 piece PvP Medic bonus for a 10% increase to Shield Probe absorption; that's a high value ability that we lose a lot in WZs. Because set bonuses are now just tied to the armoring mod itself, you can use whatever shells you want to (at least, that's what I remember). So no worries about the aesthetics! Just rip stuff out and put stuff in wherever you want.
On live, it's possible to gain the enforcer PVE set bonus without losing any expertise. This can be done by putting the elite war hero armorings from the belts and bracers into the tionese / columi shells. This has been my set up since EWH gear was introduced.

Given the fact that expertise will no longer be subject to diminishing returns, as well as the fact that the PVE barrels are now highly desirable in PVP, do you see any concerns with losing that much expertise - 2 barrels + 2 armorings? Know of any way around this on PTS?
Kylen | Qylen
F E L L
The Harbinger
A Day in the Life of a DPS Scoundrel

agsyjuco
03.20.2013 , 10:41 PM | #124
More on 2.0 gearing...

The new PVE gear (arkanian) no longer offers a +15% crit chance to backblast. Instead, it offers a +15% crit chance to blaster whip. The campaign set still has the old set bonus, but ripping / replacing the armoring removes the bonus from the shell.

Unless there's something I don't know, the only way to keep the set bonus is to retain 2 pieces of EWH armoring that already have the set bonus. This will cause you to lose a ton of cunning though.

It may also be possible to buy 2 enforcer pieces on live and pull out the armorings before 2.0 goes live. You'll then be able to put in 2 (crafted?) armorings that aren't restricted to a specific piece.

Hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't see any other way around this.
Kylen | Qylen
F E L L
The Harbinger
A Day in the Life of a DPS Scoundrel

randiesel
03.25.2013 , 02:31 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by agsyjuco View Post
More on 2.0 gearing...

The new PVE gear (arkanian) no longer offers a +15% crit chance to backblast. Instead, it offers a +15% crit chance to blaster whip. The campaign set still has the old set bonus, but ripping / replacing the armoring removes the bonus from the shell.

Unless there's something I don't know, the only way to keep the set bonus is to retain 2 pieces of EWH armoring that already have the set bonus. This will cause you to lose a ton of cunning though.

It may also be possible to buy 2 enforcer pieces on live and pull out the armorings before 2.0 goes live. You'll then be able to put in 2 (crafted?) armorings that aren't restricted to a specific piece.

Hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't see any other way around this.
They're trying anything they can to make the scrapper less viable/attractive for pvp. It happened in Wow with rogues and its happening again here with scrappers. There's really no positive way that thy can buff them, because thu are the optimal 1v1 class and making them more deadly would cause more outcries.

As of late, I find myself playing my Shadow a lot more. If I am not getting focused, my scrapper can do just fine. If I am getting focused, i.e. the opposing team aren't a bunch of idiots, I basically die very quickly and my objective is to deal as much damage as I possibly can in that short window.

I don't see this changing in 2.0, even with getting a lol-roll. Shadows are just way more effective, deal more damage and can survive a ton of things scrappers can't. Even with their "huge" nerf.
Covert-sin
Covert-ops

AngelofCain
03.26.2013 , 06:15 AM | #126
Hallow, ägronä, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

randiesel
03.26.2013 , 07:23 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelofCain View Post
Hehe nice. Haven't seen you in a long time Hallow. Guess I should play my POT5 Op more...

But anyhow, I'm interested to see how this goes in 2 weeks. With energy regen being normalized (finally) and lol-roll, plus the other changes to increase our sustained dps, it might be better than it is now.

The thing that has me looking negatively on it is the buffs other classes have received, and zero change to our survivability. I found it quite interesting to read the Dev post stating that all class balancing is a one man affair, regardless if he has a "team supporting him". He's a sniper to boot.

Maybe our offense has been increased more so to the point that it makes it our best defense. I have yet to see it though b/c I haven't been able to get a war zone queue to pop since before the PT nerf on the PTS.
Covert-sin
Covert-ops

AngelofCain
03.26.2013 , 09:11 AM | #128
awww poor p/t crybabies. It's going to be fun, but I may just keep my old 2p pve bonus cause The dev's can **** me concerning our set bonus's.
Hallow, ägronä, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

randiesel
03.26.2013 , 10:22 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelofCain View Post
awww poor p/t crybabies. It's going to be fun, but I may just keep my old 2p pve bonus cause The dev's can **** me concerning our set bonus's.
Lol yeah, I laughed when I saw a few posts of Pts wanting to quit after their bull **** hybrid was nerfed.

The pve set bonus change sucks though. Crit nerf as a whole, yet smashers continue to autocrit. Whatever.
Covert-sin
Covert-ops

ktkenshinx
03.26.2013 , 11:49 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by randiesel View Post
Lol yeah, I laughed when I saw a few posts of Pts wanting to quit after their bull **** hybrid was nerfed.

The pve set bonus change sucks though. Crit nerf as a whole, yet smashers continue to autocrit. Whatever.
I actually really enjoyed the Shield Probe bonus on the PTS. It's not our old PvE set bonus, but it is nice. I have taken to saving it right before I see the full stack of Shockwave; got whispered a few times by Mars/Juggs accusing me of hacking after their smash only got through for about 3k damage. At level 55 it seems to be absorbing roughly 4k or so damage, and that's a sizable boost to our survivability. But yeah, I agree that the old PvE bonus was overall better.

The fact that BW nerfed that nightmarish PT hybrid gives me faith that the devs will make a few last-minute adjustments to the game. This will hopefully include another rebalance of crit and a few small Scrapper buffs. I am unwilling to believe that they are so stupid as to nerf crit but keep the autocritters at full potential. Similarly, I am equally optimistic that Scrappers will get some small buffs to damage, whether through base ability increases, talent changes (e.g. Underdog), and/or CD reductions (BB back to 9 seconds).
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---