Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Oil Slick

AwesumPossum
12.20.2011 , 12:05 PM | #1
It doesn't give me the feeling like it should be a final talent, it just looks like it belongs in tier 4 or even 3.

Is it just me or am I missing something about it which makes it great?

Wapner
12.20.2011 , 12:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AwesumPossum View Post
It doesn't give me the feeling like it should be a final talent, it just looks like it belongs in tier 4 or even 3.

It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly).

AwesumPossum
12.20.2011 , 12:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Wapner View Post
It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly).
hmm yea, too bad you couldn't light the oil on fire for a little bit of aoe damage as well. I guess ill have to wait and see how it goes for me.

Wapner
12.20.2011 , 12:22 PM | #4
hmm yea, too bad you couldn't light the oil on fire for a little bit of aoe damage as well. I guess ill have to wait and see how it goes for me.
I agree...WTH is this flamethrower for if I can't light the oil on fire? lol It would be awesome.

Zixus
12.20.2011 , 01:02 PM | #5

It is in the third tier.. perhaps you missread in some way ?

Quote:
It seems like 20% damage reduction for 18 seconds is the good part about it. That's pretty dang powerful (if used properly)
You are misstaken im afraid. Oil slick dont reduce dmg taken at all, it only lowers the targets accuracy. If you are unlucky the mobs can still hit every strike, thus neglecting the effect.

Elicas
12.20.2011 , 01:05 PM | #6

Ummm. Oil Slick isn't a final talent.

Tier three 1 point.
Elicas from Force Junkies and TankTelara! - Frostclaw EU PvE Elicas/Elikas/Rhovan
The Operative Guide
The Powertech Compendium
My Basic Tanking Guide

Rikalonius
12.20.2011 , 01:06 PM | #7
I agree, if you flame sweep when in the oil slick, it should boost ur flame sweep damage by 10% or something. That would make it a great early aoe aggro getter.

Zixus
12.20.2011 , 01:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
I agree, if you flame sweep when in the oil slick, it should boost ur flame sweep damage by 10% or something. That would make it a great early aoe aggro getter.
Aoe agro isnt a problem, we have tools for that already. Flamethrower, death from above, flame sweep, explosive dart. Its fine really.

Wapner
12.20.2011 , 01:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Zixus View Post
You are misstaken im afraid. Oil slick dont reduce dmg taken at all, it only lowers the targets accuracy. If you are unlucky the mobs can still hit every strike, thus neglecting the effect.
If I have 1 mob attacking me, and I lower it's chance to hit me by 20%, I take 20% less damage on average (depending on RNG). It may not be exactly 20% in every case. But over a long enough period of time, it will average out to 20% damage reduction.

You can insert any number of mobs into that statement, and the rest holds true, unless there's a cap on the number of mobs affected by Oil Slick.

Zixus
12.20.2011 , 01:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Wapner View Post
If I have 1 mob attacking me, and I lower it's chance to hit me by 20%, I take 20% less damage on average (depending on RNG). It may not be exactly 20% in every case. But over a long enough period of time, it will average out to 20% damage reduction.

You can insert any number of mobs into that statement, and the rest holds true, unless there's a cap on the number of mobs affected by Oil Slick.
When talking about Dmg reduction its generally referd to talents like Energy shield that gives a flat 20% reduced dmg taken.

Oil slick is not referd to as a dmg reduction talent. If the mob dont miss you will take full dmg during the duration of oil slick, thus all dmg taken. Secondly when the mob miss the dmg havent been reduced but completly avoided. Avoidance and dmg reduction are 2 seperate things.

You generally never talk about dmg reduction "on average"... if you do you will be missunderstod almost every time by players with past MMO experience in tanking.