Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No Reason to Craft

-Wes-
03.11.2013 , 03:10 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by fylhuic View Post
also, take into account the price of raw materials on the GTN.
True, but then you're not buying them, are you? It's the buyers that set the market. Are you actually selling your materials for these prices, or just trying to sell? When I go and look at materials out there, I see a HUGE supply of everything and, at the asking prices, it seems there's a reason for that.

I took a look at rubat crystals when I first set up my shadow as a free-to-play (preferred) and was limited to two slots. I originally chose synthweaving and underworld trading, but quickly realized that was a no-go when I looked at the crystals on GTN and found them to be something like 1,000 credits each (remember, this is level 1 crystal). Um...no. So, I dumped synthweaving, took archaeology, and picked up crafting again after gaining my third slot.

why bother making stuff out of it if u can only sell it for maybe 1000 creds more?
Why not? It's a thousand credits more and less to juggle. But, I suspect you'd have a difficult time even selling it to "break even" if materials are selling for what you're suggesting, let alone make an extra grand.

as long as the discrepancy between gathering the mats and selling those with profit and using mats to actually craft something and sell that at an equal profit isnt adressed, nothing can change.
If there are nutcases out there who will actually buy the raw materials at such prices, then you're right, nothing can change. What is there to "address," though? It's the buyers that let something like that happen. I cannot fathom why anyone would buy raw materials rather than collect their own (except in the odd one-up circumstance) if the materials are so ridiculously inflated as compared to gathering. Economically, it doesn't hold water. So, if our community's members are "broken" in that regard, then the merchants that want the simplicity of selling the raw materials can simply continue doing so.

In the meantime, I can continue filling a market niche.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

JamieKirby
03.12.2013 , 02:13 AM | #32
The problem here is, is that crafters tend to be lazy and buy materials from the GTN exclusively, which is likely why they pay such insane prices for their crafted items, its that or just outright greed or a mixture of both, i am not sure.

I am totally willing to pay the material cost of the items and a little bit extra as a tip for the work, but it seems like if it doesn't have atleast 4 zeros in the tip, they "can't be asked" they tell me.

I am thinking bioware need to set up a value system that we can go by, so nothing can be overpriced or underpriced, its like this armoring can be crafted easily and cheaply, i can gather them for next to nothing, yet i see it on the GTN for 5k each sometimes or they are never there at all.

I can understand purple quality items costing more to make, since throughout all my times gathering materials from Underworld Trading, i can get a full stack of Terenthium before i get any of Agrinium, so i can understand why purple items are so pricey, no matter the level of the item.

I know, i will get flamed for this or moaned at or whatever, but my idea is a good one, but it takes effort and not many people can make an effort for something to work, hence why the economy and resource market is so fubar'ed right now.

Khevar
03.12.2013 , 09:16 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
The problem here is, is that crafters tend to be lazy and buy materials from the GTN exclusively, which is likely why they pay such insane prices for their crafted items, its that or just outright greed or a mixture of both, i am not sure.

So you think gathered materials are free?

There is no value whatsoever to spending time going through the game world?

Tell me, why are you so lazy you want to buy crafted gear from others rather than make it yourself?

Scionfall
03.12.2013 , 11:34 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
Except for Artifice, Cybertech and Biochem there really is no reason for crafting in this game. Armstech can make barrels but that is about the usefulness of it. Crafting Greens, Blues and Purples are relativly useless as EVERYONE uses modible gear! Artifice and Cybertech make the mods and Biochem for stims really why is there anything else in game?

Really you need to add in COOL looking armor and weapons to be crafted by Synthweaving, Armormech and Armstech to entice people to do these and feel like they made the right choice! OR redue the armor and weapons currently craftable to BE modible. You craft a green it is a green modible with green mods, reverse engineer for blues and purples just like we can except they are ALL modible!

THEN make Orange Armor give a SET bonus that IS NOT as good as PvP or PvE sets but makes it nice to craft a SET.

ADD in POST endgame items that can rival a endgame piece that really makes the Armor and Weapons crafting viable, yet modable so mods can be min/maxxed to players tastes.

All these "cool" items from the Cartel Market hurts the game economy and crafting professions!
Overall I'm inclined to agree. Crafting Color Crystals is obsolete thanks to the Cartel Market and once 2.0 hits the need for Cybertech Armoring/Mods and Artifice Enhancement will drastically decrease as well (see Planetary Commendations).

I think a serious revamp to crafting is needed overall. I think the number of modifications should be severely reduced. Instead of having new upgrades in armorings, mods etc. every two levels how about every 6 to 8 levels and make the changes more significant to support it? How about getting stuff that goes up to just shy of Columi level so that it's viable for flashpoints but not quite there for the bigger ops? Being able to craft modifications that would allow me to jump immediately into Tier 1 ops would be pretty nice (if they weren't already giving away a free set of Tionese and Recruit gear that is). I feel that this would drastically increase the usefulness for artifice and cybertech. How about, as others have suggested, getting cool and unique gear that only armormechs and synthweavers can craft? Biochem is pretty good as it is what with the reusable stims and adrenals but I'm sure there's definitely work for improvement here too. Along with all that, how about attaching a bonus to stats for various professions? Things like +200 Force Power if you choose Artifice? Or +200 Accuracy for Armstech or +3000HP for Biochem? Serious useful bonuses that fit with the theme of the craft that would make people sit up and ask what they really want their character to go for?

Unfortunately, as it is right now I'd have to agree with the originator of this post.

-Wes-
03.12.2013 , 01:02 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Scionfall View Post
Unfortunately, as it is right now I'd have to agree with the originator of this post.
I was looking at the market a little more last night after reading this thread, and I'm there. While I don't understand why people would pay the extortion prices being posted on the GTN for materials, there's no way that crafted items could go for more than the materials to make them.

Shame, really, but I'm still going to buck the trend and not go the profiteer route. I'll only post crafted items on the GTN; I'm keeping all my raw materials for myself (and any guild mates that might need them).
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Tragamite
03.13.2013 , 12:05 AM | #36
Someone really needs to save this game. Allow players to do more for the player base and the cartel market provide more skins of items.
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Skltor Sin Tank 55 Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slughter Van DPS 55, Sh-R Sage DPS 55

Tragamite
04.02.2013 , 08:10 PM | #37
Level 50 crystal from cartel market can be used by level 10 up so the only viable item from artifice now are enhancements. Most everyone is running around in modable gear as soon as they can get it so crafting green blue or purple gear is wasted effort in most cases.

Biochem makes consumables everyone can use and are demanded in many cases and implants that everyone needs 2 of. Cybertech makes armorings and mods for someone fully modable gear provides 18 parts plus the earpeice ship parts droid parts and consumables that many players do use.

If every item crafted weapon or armor was modable or offered a set bonus or special bonus for using them it would vastly improve thwarting other crafting professions. Additionally there has to be an end game item that can only be provided and/or used by the crafter making it THE profession to have.
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Skltor Sin Tank 55 Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slughter Van DPS 55, Sh-R Sage DPS 55

Endreos
04.04.2013 , 02:24 AM | #38
I have just canceled my subscription. After leveling two crafters (cybertech and artificer) to a full 400 point skills and levelling both to L50 I have realized obtaining any endgame schematics (23-26 tier) is impossible or extremely hard.

I really wanted to continue playing, but I am not willing to spend hours and hours in operations and flashpoints only to find out the stuff I will receive for commendations cannot be reverse engineered anyway.

JamieKirby
04.05.2013 , 01:15 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Are you taking into account how much you could sell those materials for? Because if you could sell the materials for more than what you make on crafting the kits then you are selling yourself short. Self gathered materials are NOT free. Believe me, I used to think like that. Suffice it to say, that looking at materials and crafted goods pricing on the WoW auction house changed my mind. And this was after 5+ years playing various MMOs with the "self gathered materials are free" mentality.

Getting back to the OP's assertion...augments are VERY profitable. Even the blue quality augments crafted by my synthweaver and armormech sell VERY well and VERY consistently. It is by no means millions over night, but it is a steady source of income for my legacy.
I used to pick up 3 gathering skills and gather materials to sell and unlike majority of the playerbase that just wants more profit for as little effort as possible, it was safe to say, the economy is never getting fixed, i tried to get it fixed and i get ripped apart by those that likely take full advantage of the screwed up economy on their own servers.

I personally give up with it, no one else cares, why should i.

Khevar
04.05.2013 , 06:36 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
I used to pick up 3 gathering skills and gather materials to sell and unlike majority of the playerbase that just wants more profit for as little effort as possible, it was safe to say, the economy is never getting fixed, i tried to get it fixed and i get ripped apart by those that likely take full advantage of the screwed up economy on their own servers.

I personally give up with it, no one else cares, why should i.
I am genuinely curious about something. When you say, "I tried to get it fixed" what have you actually tried?

I saw one post where you recommended that Bioware put a cap on sale prices of items, and over a dozen posts that complain about how greedy crafters are with very little data to back it up. When myself or a handful of others try to debate the issue, you disappear and stop responding -- only to pop up in another thread and say the same thing.

I would actually be interested in discussion with you on the subject, except for the fact that you fly in, call all of us crafters a bunch lazy greedy jerks, then disappear.

It doesn't particularly bother me, feel free to post whatever you want. But you have to realize that this behavior tends to de-legitimize your position, and makes you look like a troll trying to get a response out of people.