Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

No Reason to Craft


Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.07.2013 , 05:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Well, i wish there was a reason to craft so players that love to craft, can actually get off their asses and actually craft, the main problem right now is that players that do not craft don't buy crafted gear because they charge way too much for the items they craft.

I just mean that if you sell for a REASONABLE price, where you still make a profit, but its also not overpriced that it would seem worthwhile buying.

I tend to find the best looking set of upgradable gear and put mods in it, but when i look for blue quality armorings, there is either none there or loads, but at a price of 5-10k each and i am level 11 at the time and its just insulting to pay that much for an item that isn't worth anything near that price.

Also, guys, i am thinking the crafting is all about pre-50, the gear that you can make even for level 50 is enough to get by, though that changed when bioware gave all players level 50 gear at the end of the class stories, which they did only because that there was a lack of gear due to crafters not crafting because you couldn't make any profit and that was only because you were overcharging severely.
Whenever I'm leveling an alt, and want to purchase some blue armoring/mods/etc I rarely see this ridiculously overpriced gear you're complaining of. I may occasionally log on and see some low-level blue selling for 10k, but then I exercise my right as a purchaser and don't buy it.

Because I try to obtain the armoring/mods a few levels ahead of when I'll need it, if there aren't any cheap items on today, I can check back tomorrow and usually find what I'm looking for at a decent price.

I think you just need to be a bit better at working the GTN.

Sometimes I'll just scan ahead for barrels/hilts and find a great price on purple gear that I won't need for another 10 levels, buy it, and stick it in my cargo hold for later. Just the other day I found two level 43 purple reflex barrels selling for <13k, which is an excellent price.

JMCH's Avatar


JMCH
03.07.2013 , 06:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
Also, guys, i am thinking the crafting is all about pre-50, the gear that you can make even for level 50 is enough to get by, though that changed when bioware gave all players level 50 gear at the end of the class stories, which they did only because that there was a lack of gear due to crafters not crafting because you couldn't make any profit and that was only because you were overcharging severely.
There was no REASON to supply with boring crafts at all.

Look at how much time (RE and missions) it takes for a 49/50 artefact piece of gear, by the time you'll have finished your work, you could as well have made some 100k creds for what you won't be able to sell for some thousands "margin", at most.

Well, the freshly 50 potential customer could run some flashpoints or even ops and get better gear in the same time you'll need to craft a single piece, for free.

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
03.11.2013 , 09:30 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
There was no REASON to supply with boring crafts at all.

Look at how much time (RE and missions) it takes for a 49/50 artefact piece of gear, by the time you'll have finished your work, you could as well have made some 100k creds for what you won't be able to sell for some thousands "margin", at most.

Well, the freshly 50 potential customer could run some flashpoints or even ops and get better gear in the same time you'll need to craft a single piece, for free.
I tend to not bother with purple quality stuff pre-50, they really do tend to be a waste of resources to gain, i mean if you loot it or get it via a quest, then go for it, but crafting it is not really worthwhile, the blue quality gear and mods are worth crafting and selling.

I understand that it can be expensive to level up crafting skills, but one of the issues that i see going on is that crafters that overcharge seem to be trying to get back the spendings they did to level up faster then they really need to.

For example, a level 11 blue quality Armoring, regardless of stats, (they all cost the same) costs 2 silica, 4 Desh and 2 Terenthium

Those resources are easily gathered, which techically costs roughly 500cr to gather the resources, craft the item and then place it on the GTN for 1500-2000cr per armoring, the price dependant on if you had any mission failures.

Obviously the cost of gathering will increase with the higher grade resources, so which results in higher selling price, it really is a pity that no one tries my suggestions, most of the players tend to prefer their 6 figure profits over helping the server economies develop, while taking in a solid profit, though less then 6 figures.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.11.2013 , 12:03 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
...

Obviously the cost of gathering will increase with the higher grade resources, so which results in higher selling price, it really is a pity that no one tries my suggestions, most of the players tend to prefer their 6 figure profits over helping the server economies develop, while taking in a solid profit, though less then 6 figures.
You keep nattering about crafters preferring profits instead of "helping the server"

Are you doing this yourself? Are you doing crafting in the way you suggest?

-Wes-'s Avatar


-Wes-
03.11.2013 , 12:05 PM | #25
It's a solid approach, Jamie. Unfortunately, most peoples' minds are made up already, and they just aren't willing to hear (or try) it. If there are buyers out there willing to pay the asking price, you'll always end up having those that ask for the moon.

I gave up selling blue-level stuff, as nearly all of it came back to me unsold (even at very reasonable prices), so I just reverse engineer those and stick to selling the orange and artifact goods. For the level 10-20 stuff, 3500 - 5000 ($2,000 more than standard for those that have an augment slot) a pop seems to keep them moving within twelve hours of listing. And, my total credits keeps going up slowly but surely as I continue leveling underworld trading and archeology.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

Tragamite's Avatar


Tragamite
03.11.2013 , 12:11 PM | #26
Except you're missing the point of the "no reason to craft" title. Mods are the only reason other than stims to craft. So IF those are the only professions utilized then no one really needs to put anything in the exchange or buy from it as they would just craft for themselves.

Artifice is being out sourced by the Cartels like Armormech and Syntgweaving with modable gear Armstech atleast has barrels to keep it alive but modable weapons to include offhand give way to more Cybertechs! Artifice even used to have a market with shields, generators and foci. Now with modables that is wasted talent. They have access to rakata relics which are BoP all other relics or purchased.

So as the title says there is no reason to craft.
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Skltor Sin Tank 55 Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slughter Van DPS 55, Sh-R Sage DPS 55

Quellryloth's Avatar


Quellryloth
03.11.2013 , 12:59 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
I tend to not bother with purple quality stuff pre-50, they really do tend to be a waste of resources to gain, i mean if you loot it or get it via a quest, then go for it, but crafting it is not really worthwhile, the blue quality gear and mods are worth crafting and selling.
This is not always true. It's certainly not worthwhile to outfit a pre-50 character with level-appropriate purples at every slot, but items really make a difference. My first character was a Sage with Artifice and in the process of leveling it, he learned many purple Might and Resolve Hilts as well as some crystals and enhancements. I played a Juggernaut next and supplying him with purple Might Hilts made a noticeable difference. Now I'm playing a Sentinel and the guy is practically unstoppable. Sentinels dual-wield lightsabers so he needs twice as many hilts, but the damage he does seems highly dependent on the lightsabers used and with purples he's really powerful. I haven't checked, but it might also be worthwhile to outfit tank-type classes in purple armor and so on.

Quote:
For example, a level 11 blue quality Armoring, regardless of stats, (they all cost the same) costs 2 silica, 4 Desh and 2 Terenthium

Those resources are easily gathered, which techically costs roughly 500cr to gather the resources, craft the item and then place it on the GTN for 1500-2000cr per armoring, the price dependant on if you had any mission failures.
But why would anybody do this? First, at level 11 most people only have one or two pieces of custom armor and they probably already came with a blue Armoring. Second, the early levels go quickly so they'll outgrow that Armoring within a few hours of play and there's no sense in buying something unless it really makes a difference (which a blue Armoring is very unlikely to do). Third, at levels where doing crew skills does not involve sending away your only companion, 1000 credits of profit is not much of an incentive (and remember, to get that blue you needed to have crafted and reverse engineered a bunch of greens).

To be honest, I don't see how crafting anything that will be sold for less than 10000 makes any sense -- you can probably sell the materials for more. My Juggernaut is currently leveling up Cybertech and when I have blues left over because I got lucky and researched a purple schematic quickly, I sell the blues for below market rate (I just want to get rid of them!), but even with those I haven't had to go below 8000 so far.

-Wes-'s Avatar


-Wes-
03.11.2013 , 01:01 PM | #28
Tragamite, I didn't miss the point, I just have not come to agree with it. I do agree with your argument that all crafted armor should be moddable. That would be a great way of making crafted items more competitive rather than perhaps being fantastic for a level or so (talking blue and green here), then suddenly being rendered obsolete by the next random mob drop.

I don't agree that there is "no reason" to craft, as if that were the case, there would be no market for crafted goods. I know that to be false from experience. If items did not bind on pickup/equip, there would definitely be no market.

Another thing I have yet to notice is an augment slot on found equipment. I haven't experimented much with augments, but can those slots be added to existing equipment, or are they only available on equipment crafted with an augment slot?
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

Jayshames's Avatar


Jayshames
03.11.2013 , 01:56 PM | #29
I guess the set bonus would be ok, but it would have to be something pretty crap like +20 to primary attribute or something.

fylhuic's Avatar


fylhuic
03.11.2013 , 02:07 PM | #30
also, take into account the price of raw materials on the GTN. If i go gather my mats myself and i need 2 desh, 2 silica and 2 terenthium for one item and those mats sell for 2-3000 creds on the market (doesnt happen for low lvl stuff, but it sure does for tier 3 and higher) or more, why bother making stuff out of it if u can only sell it for maybe 1000 creds more?
purple mods is even worse, most of the time u'd need to sell ur crafted gear/mods for at least 50k, just to get even with the price of mats u just used.
So, as long as the discrepancy between gathering the mats and selling those with profit and using mats to actually craft something and sell that at an equal profit isnt adressed, nothing can change.
which brings up the op's point and title....there is indeed no reason to craft, other then for ur own characters