Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

Rabenschwinge
02.05.2013 , 05:02 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixbowman View Post
Ahahhaahaa..HAHAHAHAHAA! The Bounty Hunter companion for MALE bounty hunter's is a woman named Mako. Yes, a woman. In "Legend of Korra" there is a dude (a man) named Mako....

<(O o)>

Same exact name, same exact spelling. Except one is a woman and the other is a man. That's too funny.
Firstly that's not too uncommon - "Andrea" is a woman's name in most of the world, yet a name for men in Italy (cmp. Andrea Bocelli, tenor ). And the spelling in German and Italian is not very much different.

Secondly Mako is a companion for all bounty hunters, not just male ones.

And thirdly I don't see what that has to do with the topic.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Zardac_the_Great
02.05.2013 , 09:33 AM | #62
I see the Jedi in much the same light that I see GDI in Command and Conquer. I dislike GDI very much. I fight for them because Nod is so much worse.

I hate Jedi philosophy, yet I would much rather be a Jedi than a Sith because the Sith are evil on purpose. Though, if they want my lightsaber, they had better understand that I disagree with them rather profoundly and get over it.

OldVengeance
02.05.2013 , 11:25 AM | #63
Frak it. I cannot reconcile my own moral compass with the moral compass of the Tython Jedi Order. What they see as bad and leading to the Dark Side I personally see as ways to counter act the Sith and push back the Dark Side.

I tried and tried again to reconcile the two. But it doesn't seem to fit. Knowing that are positive emotions and passions which can counteract those negative ones. And how this Tython Jedi Order seems to put down ALL of them despite there being good ones which can act as a way to counteract and push back against the bad ones.

It gets down to self-control. The Jedi on Tython can teach what they want. I know that self-control and learning how to deal with emotions and passions can mean acting in a safe manner without the risk of falling to the Dark Side. There's no need to outright ban something like love. Can it lead to the Dark Side? Yes. Will it always? No. Not if the people in the couple learn how to deal with setbacks and trying times.
The Jedi have such restrictions on passion because it doesn't need to "always" lead to the darkside, it only needs to happen once to be potentially disastrous. Fallen Jedi can be incredibly dangerous.

Maaruin
02.05.2013 , 11:35 AM | #64
You mentioned slavery. What drives the Jedi's crusade against slavery if not compassion, love, and care for those enslaved? On one hand the Tython Jedi say one thing in their code and advocate one thing in their code and YET they act against what they're saying in their code. They act with love, compassion, mercy, and kindness. While at the same time teaching against it....

Ack....
Well, it is compassion/love/care for the slaves which makes them decide to go against slavery. But after they made this decision, they put this emotions aside to reach their goal. Imagine they would only oppose slavery when they felt like it.

A real world example on a smaller scale: Imagine there is a language you like and would like to learn. At the beginning you are driven by emotions (like for the language), but after some time of learing, this will go away. Now you have to continue with discipline. When you finally speak the language, you will be satisfied, of course. (Maybe learning a language is a bad example, but it is like this with a lot of things.)

So Jedi start doing good because they care, but they continue doing good independent of these emotions.

Sith, btw, work differently. I think Darth Ruin realized this when he said: "There is no passion, there is solely obsession." You see very few Sith with genuine passion, but many obsessed with power, immortality etc.

There's no need to outright ban something like love.
And it isn't outright banned. Later on, in the female Consular romance, the Consular explains: If a Jedi is trustworthy and has shown good judgement, relationships are tolerated (though not encouraged).

Remember, this is a time in which it is not unlikely that some Sith capture and torture your lover to turn you to the dark side. It is not unreasonable for Jedi to permit romance only to those who have learned enough to deal with such things.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall