Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

LordOfTheDance
02.03.2013 , 01:44 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
He's your master for about 7 levels or so. Don't worry about upsetting him.
And who would want him as a master. He obviously flunked Jedi 101.

Not that it is his fault it was really the Bioware writers flunking Jedi 101. There is just so much stuff on Tython about Jedi lore that is horribly wrong it makes me want to stab myself in the face every time I roll a jedi character.

Phoenixbowman
02.03.2013 , 02:26 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
If you're reliving those days from the game, you're looking far to into it, especially since you get plenty of emotional response choices as a Jedi.

And never does it say "act like a robot"

It really comes down to this...

Jedi: We're living nukes. We must control ourselves for fear of going off.

Sith: We're living nukes! HELL YEAH! Take what we want when we want!

Then your choices in game can allow you to go however you want.
I misunderstood it then. I felt at the time that as a Padawan my character had to listen to his Jedi Master which is why I was like "heck no." Now I know differently. Frak* Orgus Din and his messed up teachings.

*A saying from "Battlestar Galactica".

Phoenixbowman
02.03.2013 , 02:27 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by LordOfTheDance View Post
And who would want him as a master. He obviously flunked Jedi 101.

Not that it is his fault it was really the Bioware writers flunking Jedi 101. There is just so much stuff on Tython about Jedi lore that is horribly wrong it makes me want to stab myself in the face every time I roll a jedi character.
Just make sure it's a powered down practice saber and not a legit powered up lightsaber.

Rabenschwinge
02.03.2013 , 02:54 AM | #44
Hm. While there is a lot of strange things going on on Tython, I wish to point out that the Jedi in the game are not really emotionless. Neither Satele Shan nor Yuon Par nor Orgus Din seem to be unaffected, distant or cold. Satele Shan is always relaxed and lets hardly anything distress her but she does show concern with those around her. Master Yuon seems to be concerned with a lot of things and Orgus Din has a relaxed attitude with some humor but he's really more like a sheriff from a western movie, not a cold character.

SithKoriandr
02.03.2013 , 09:52 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Hm. While there is a lot of strange things going on on Tython, I wish to point out that the Jedi in the game are not really emotionless. Neither Satele Shan nor Yuon Par nor Orgus Din seem to be unaffected, distant or cold. Satele Shan is always relaxed and lets hardly anything distress her but she does show concern with those around her. Master Yuon seems to be concerned with a lot of things and Orgus Din has a relaxed attitude with some humor but he's really more like a sheriff from a western movie, not a cold character.
I think the Sith have the same problem. It's why the Sith on Tatooine (I forget his name) is one of my favorites to run missions for. He basically tells you, "Yeah, Sith who play the role of psychopath...dumb."

Phoenixbowman
02.03.2013 , 11:58 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
You're right. I just realized why Orgus Din sounded bitter about all of that...because his former Padawan was killed. So yes, he'd still be hurting from that.

*8 Trigrams 64 Facepalms* I just realized that now; I should've seen it earlier. Cause he sounded mad when he told me what he told me. Orgus Din sounded the way he did because of what happened to his former Padawan.

* (Based on the "8 Trigrams 64 Palms* move from "Naruto".)

Phoenixbowman
02.03.2013 , 12:26 PM | #47
As I said before. Yes, when an attachment is severed (by death or just time going on) it can be excruciating. But denying attachments to avoid the bad would mean missing out on all of the good, happiness, and joy as well.

I'll have my character do a cross-universe jump to the Final Fantasy world, grab a Phoenix Down, bring it back, and ressurect Orgus Din's former Padawan.

Random chocobo pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Chocobo.png

SithKoriandr
02.03.2013 , 08:00 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixbowman View Post
As I said before. Yes, when an attachment is severed (by death or just time going on) it can be excruciating. But denying attachments to avoid the bad would mean missing out on all of the good, happiness, and joy as well.

I'll have my character do a cross-universe jump to the Final Fantasy world, grab a Phoenix Down, bring it back, and ressurect Orgus Din's former Padawan.

Random chocobo pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Chocobo.png
I think they realize that. But in Star Wars, being able to use the Force, makes one THAT powerful. Even if the Jedi Order allowed love and marriage (and the question is, why not just quit the order), Anakin went ballistic on the idea that Padme was going to die and he needed a way to save her (even if it was a self-fullfilling prophecy) and was willing to do a lot of harm to get it.

In the movies (and single player games) they're able to show it better than in a MMO setting where you need to be cut down in power because of multiple players.

RendValor
02.03.2013 , 09:25 PM | #49
KotOR2 presented the Jedi philosophy in a negative light because the writers hated the strict black and white morality ever so present in the Star Wars, so they had to take a crap on the squeeky clean pure light side and toned down the rawwr I am dark must kill everything rawrr dark side to make both sides more morally abstract
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

SithKoriandr
02.03.2013 , 09:32 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
KotOR2 presented the Jedi philosophy in a negative light because the writers hated the strict black and white morality ever so present in the Star Wars, so they had to take a crap on the squeeky clean pure light side and toned down the rawwr I am dark must kill everything rawrr dark side to make both sides more morally abstract
So, it's because they were writing for something they hated and decided to screw it all up?