Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight Story and the Jedi Philosophy.

Phoenixbowman
02.01.2013 , 04:50 PM | #1
I'm trying smuggler but im not liking the idea of taking cover.... I could go with Trooper but im reading that it's a military type story and I'm goign to be livign that soon (going to basic soon.)

So that's out. For the Republic I can stay with my Smuggler or go JK. Except my only concern is getting all of the philosophy. I played KOTR2: Sith Lords and I hated the Jedi philosophy. Feelings, emotions, thats what makes us human. The Jedi philosophy equates love and hate and says that anything that is human in terms of emotions is bad. Even good emotions: love, care, compassion, understanding, patience, kindness, etc seem to be put down. At least in KOTOR2: Sith Lords they were.

So I want to be a charging warrior but i dont want to play a storyline filled with the Jedi Philosophy....

I don't like ths Smuggler style of taking cover....I may have to stick with it if the Jedi story is full of the philosophy.

Phoenixbowman
02.01.2013 , 04:52 PM | #2
Growing up I had a hard time feeling anything positive (parents fought a lot.) I was emotionally stunted for the longest time. If i even began to feel happy I would mentally shut it down. Yes, I was miserable.

I'm getting better now though. After living basically being emotionless growing up I really don't want to hear about it in a game. So yes, I was living the Jedi code w/or realizing it (the whole there is no emotion part) and it was a living nightmare.

So no to Trooper because of the story (I'll be living it and I dont want to get any misconceptions about the military from it.)

Jedi Knight maybe if the philosophy isn't anywhere in the story. Same with Jedi Consular.....the risk of the philosophy being there.

OR Smuggler and have to deal with having to Press F to go into cover every single time.

PS: When I read "There is no emotion, there is peace." I think of the way I was. I literally shut down anything positive. It took years and years and countless hours of help from friends and family before I could begin to allow myself to feel positive emotions again (Happiness, Joy, Care, Love, Compassion, Family and friend relationship connections.)

So when I read "There is no emotion, there is peace" it disturbs me greatly because I think that "There is no emotion, there is peace" is saying that emotions should be suppressed, denied, pushed aside, and ignored.

Aurbere
02.01.2013 , 05:00 PM | #3
If you understood the Jedi Code, you (not you specifically) wouldn't have a problem.

This may help you.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

JacenHallis
02.01.2013 , 05:12 PM | #4
If you like the Smuggler story, play a Scoundrel and never bother with cover again.

As far as the Jedi stories go, it's a funny thing about them. In every Jedi story that I can remember, whether it be the Knight story here, the actual movies, the books, and so on, the "Jedi Philosophy" of suppression of emotion is usually proven wrong. Anakin Skywalker fell to the Dark Side because of fear, but he was redeemed because of love. The Jedi Knight in TOR can romance a companion and still "live in the Light," as it were.

I'm with you. I think the Jedi Code is incredibly restrictive, but it's only one philosophy. I prefer the Jedi Code in my signature. There are organizations (like the Zeison Sha) that prove the Jedi way is only one way. Perhaps your Jedi, like mine, can show that there's another way.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Phoenixbowman
02.01.2013 , 05:15 PM | #5
Thank you everyone

You all really helped me understand this, Aurbere

"But let's see what Odan-Urr originally intended with the Jedi Code:

"There is no Emotion, there is Peace"

Surely this means that a Jedi should be emotionless, yes? No. This line refers to a Jedi's clarity of mind. Odan-Urr believed that emotions were necessary for the Jedi to have, but understood that these emotions should not interfere with the decisions a Jedi makes."

That, that right there. ^

And how my (theoretical) Jedi character can show that there is another way, like your character did, JacenHallis.

SithKoriandr
02.01.2013 , 08:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Phoenixbowman View Post
I'm trying smuggler but im not liking the idea of taking cover.... I could go with Trooper but im reading that it's a military type story and I'm goign to be livign that soon (going to basic soon.)

So that's out. For the Republic I can stay with my Smuggler or go JK. Except my only concern is getting all of the philosophy. I played KOTR2: Sith Lords and I hated the Jedi philosophy. Feelings, emotions, thats what makes us human. The Jedi philosophy equates love and hate and says that anything that is human in terms of emotions is bad. Even good emotions: love, care, compassion, understanding, patience, kindness, etc seem to be put down. At least in KOTOR2: Sith Lords they were.

So I want to be a charging warrior but i dont want to play a storyline filled with the Jedi Philosophy....

I don't like ths Smuggler style of taking cover....I may have to stick with it if the Jedi story is full of the philosophy.
Roll a Bounty Hunter!

Phoenixbowman
02.01.2013 , 09:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Roll a Bounty Hunter!
If I ever decide to go Sith then that will definitely be my first choice.

Vonstagger
02.01.2013 , 09:57 PM | #8
A lot of the conversation choices for missions will feel forced in regards to light side and dark side for jedi and sith, but it's not as bad as playing a light side sith and having almost every jedi you encounter insist on fighting to the death regardless of how much you try and reason with them.

Katano
02.01.2013 , 11:27 PM | #9
I have Jedi Knight who helps people out, does the classic "Jedi stuff" (save planets, give money to innocent beggars/orphans, not accept payment, try to find a peaceful solution for most scenarios) but i also rack up darkside points because i often make decisions based on emotions like hateing a certain character who killed lots of people and not letting him live or helping the republic secure ways to beat the empire even if they mean more war as my Knight believes the Empire must be stopped. He also believes romance is fine and all though hes not flirting with everyone he enjoys a nice emotional attachment with Kira.

So thankfully with the dark side/light side system i can do all that and if i want to RP it i just think of Anakin a bit during the clone wars movie or i say to myself my Knight believes in the Jedi more for them serving than republic not for their actual code. He believes the republic must defeat the empire but that doesn't mean hes going to fall to the darkside like Revan or Anakin (who was manipulated into thinking the Jedi were against the republic)

OldVengeance
02.02.2013 , 01:30 AM | #10
Jedi certainly don't disapprove of care, kindness, patience, and compassion. In fact if you play a darkside Consular one of the Jedi Council members at one point will tell you "A quick lightsaber must be tempered by great compassion, Jedi." The reason they don't encourage romantic love is mainly because it's a passion that can cloud a Jedi's objectivity or potentially be twisted to the darkside. Emotion is not bad in an of themselves, but they are considered dangerous and reckless because they can lead a Jedi to the darkside.

The Order wants Jedi to be level headed guardians not emotionless drones.

The Jedi Knight story actually works well with the idea of a Jedi who revels in his emotions just a little bit more than he is supposed to. Both the Knight and the Consular can play very differently depending on exactly how you want your Jedi to be, but the Lightside Knight's dialogue seems more appropriate for a Jedi with a little bit of a rebellious streak.