Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Deception Assassin Opener


_Pryor_'s Avatar


_Pryor_
02.01.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1
Posted this question in the Shadow forum, figure the more input the better. Are you guys using Spike as your opener or saving it for after you Force Cloak? Have heard different view points, but as I also play an operative, I favor using Spike to initiate.

ipagex's Avatar


ipagex
02.01.2013 , 06:58 PM | #2
I know it looks cool to Spike someone, but you're losing an advantage if you're using it regardless of your target's casting. I try and use it only when i have something to interrupt.

Zaxem's Avatar


Zaxem
02.03.2013 , 06:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by _Pryor_ View Post
Posted this question in the Shadow forum, figure the more input the better. Are you guys using Spike as your opener or saving it for after you Force Cloak? Have heard different view points, but as I also play an operative, I favor using Spike to initiate.
the only time i use spike is in pvp but i tend to use discharge as my opener more often even in pvp just because i'm more use to ti cause that's what i do in pve for my opener but i try to rember to open up with spike in pvp
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

THEFERRARICARGUY's Avatar


THEFERRARICARGUY
02.03.2013 , 10:51 AM | #4
I find spike to be garbage, there are animation conflicts between spike and maul (using them in rapid succession) and I take FOREVER to swing the saber around to actually stab them. I find spinning kick to have synergize well with most abilities and if I'm not mistaken, has a shorter animation so less delay, but that is just my perspective, and using it for opening is a waste imo. Better to surprise them with a 4k discharge or deathfield (Wakajinn spec) and get more burst off before they have the time to react to it.

Cowflab's Avatar


Cowflab
02.03.2013 , 11:18 PM | #5
Spike fills far too much resolve and doesn't have enough utility to be worth the trouble. When playiing Deception or the various hybrids I will typically open by using Reck>Overcharge>Discharge>DF if 0/27/14>Electrocute>Maul(if proc'd and it most often is by now)>Thrash/VSx2>Shock>Low Slash>whatever is applicable for the situation afterwards. Spike is also a force ability, so if you prematurely use Reck, it will consume a charge.

Philelectric's Avatar


Philelectric
02.05.2013 , 09:14 PM | #6
My opener depend on what I'm attacking. If I fight a squishy target I usualy open with Recklessness+overcharged saber then discharge and shock.

If its a tank its Dicharge-voltaic slashX2-shock-If I have at least 3 stacks of surging charge I use overcharged saber+recklessness then VSX2 discharge+shock.
Guarding a healer is not only the job the the skill ''guard''. It is also your job to stay around the healer to be a plague for the people attacking the healer.

DemonJin's Avatar


DemonJin
02.05.2013 , 11:01 PM | #7
This is the opener I use and I find it the most usefull opener than any already posted.
Now when ur fighting scrubs who just playing suck using an opener that's straight forward as the one being posted will work. However when ur fighting really skilled players that tactic just won't work all the time. Best strat I've found in any 1v1 situations is spike-maul- low slash- crushing darkness- then from here you would go into ur normal rotation. Now the reasoning. Reason why I use spike is for 2 main reasons. 1) dumb players will use cc breaker on this and 2) gives us a chance to proc maul for big dmg. Maul will be next used whether it process or not cuz we have lots of force regen at this point worrying about it being procd doesn't matter here to much. Low slash next to force one of 2 things, either they're gonna see you casting crushing darkness and be like OMG he's gonna hit me with that and they'll blow their cc breaker and interrupt you which is good for you cuz now you have ghe upper hand. Or they'll let you finish the cast and now they take a decent dmg that places a dot on them too. Worst case scenario is ur fighting a class like an op or another sin that can cleanse the dot. Yes true they can however remember you just hit them with spike, maul procd or not low slash and the initial hit of crushing darkness. All of this combined you've already done a good amount of dmg to your opponent and they have yet to do anything back to you yet. And best part is you still have yet to use ur strongest moves for that massive dmg we deception sins love to do. Now of course you can't use this all the time like when ur in a big group fight where you got multiple people attacking you. But just be aware of what's going around you at all times and this strat is not too hard to use even when in the fray of things
Krow | Karasu
Sin/Shadow
Karasu Champion of the Shadows

xscott's Avatar


xscott
02.05.2013 , 11:08 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DemonJin View Post
This is the opener I use and I find it the most usefull opener than any already posted.
Now when ur fighting scrubs who just playing suck using an opener that's straight forward as the one being posted will work. However when ur fighting really skilled players that tactic just won't work all the time. Best strat I've found in any 1v1 situations is spike-maul- low slash- crushing darkness- then from here you would go into ur normal rotation. Now the reasoning. Reason why I use spike is for 2 main reasons. 1) dumb players will use cc breaker on this and 2) gives us a chance to proc maul for big dmg. Maul will be next used whether it process or not cuz we have lots of force regen at this point worrying about it being procd doesn't matter here to much. Low slash next to force one of 2 things, either they're gonna see you casting crushing darkness and be like OMG he's gonna hit me with that and they'll blow their cc breaker and interrupt you which is good for you cuz now you have ghe upper hand. Or they'll let you finish the cast and now they take a decent dmg that places a dot on them too. Worst case scenario is ur fighting a class like an op or another sin that can cleanse the dot. Yes true they can however remember you just hit them with spike, maul procd or not low slash and the initial hit of crushing darkness. All of this combined you've already done a good amount of dmg to your opponent and they have yet to do anything back to you yet. And best part is you still have yet to use ur strongest moves for that massive dmg we deception sins love to do. Now of course you can't use this all the time like when ur in a big group fight where you got multiple people attacking you. But just be aware of what's going around you at all times and this strat is not too hard to use even when in the fray of things
Hey, . .what a great post response. You spoke my language, and plan on implenting this !!!!

THANKS Demonjin !

Cowflab's Avatar


Cowflab
02.06.2013 , 07:11 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DemonJin View Post
This is the opener I use and I find it the most usefull opener than any already posted.
Now when ur fighting scrubs who just playing suck using an opener that's straight forward as the one being posted will work. However when ur fighting really skilled players that tactic just won't work all the time. Best strat I've found in any 1v1 situations is spike-maul- low slash- crushing darkness- then from here you would go into ur normal rotation. Now the reasoning. Reason why I use spike is for 2 main reasons. 1) dumb players will use cc breaker on this and 2) gives us a chance to proc maul for big dmg. Maul will be next used whether it process or not cuz we have lots of force regen at this point worrying about it being procd doesn't matter here to much. Low slash next to force one of 2 things, either they're gonna see you casting crushing darkness and be like OMG he's gonna hit me with that and they'll blow their cc breaker and interrupt you which is good for you cuz now you have ghe upper hand. Or they'll let you finish the cast and now they take a decent dmg that places a dot on them too. Worst case scenario is ur fighting a class like an op or another sin that can cleanse the dot. Yes true they can however remember you just hit them with spike, maul procd or not low slash and the initial hit of crushing darkness. All of this combined you've already done a good amount of dmg to your opponent and they have yet to do anything back to you yet. And best part is you still have yet to use ur strongest moves for that massive dmg we deception sins love to do. Now of course you can't use this all the time like when ur in a big group fight where you got multiple people attacking you. But just be aware of what's going around you at all times and this strat is not too hard to use even when in the fray of things
You should never, EVER use crushing darkness unless its a last resort while being kited. Even then you're better off cloaking and resetting the fight. This is terrible advice imo. Spike is only a 2 second knockdown after all and CD is a 2 second cast. After accounting for the GCD after spike, being in melee range, you're going to get interrupted. You've now done jack squat for damage and given the target ample time to CC or snare you. Basically pitting you outside of a deception assassin's comfort zone of burst and control.

DemonJin's Avatar


DemonJin
02.06.2013 , 10:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Cowflab View Post
You should never, EVER use crushing darkness unless its a last resort while being kited. Even then you're better off cloaking and resetting the fight. This is terrible advice imo. Spike is only a 2 second knockdown after all and CD is a 2 second cast. After accounting for the GCD after spike, being in melee range, you're going to get interrupted. You've now done jack squat for damage and given the target ample time to CC or snare you. Basically pitting you outside of a deception assassin's comfort zone of burst and control.
Perhaps you should read over my post again before you open your mouth. You forgot a couple of steps between spike and crushing darkness...LIKE LOW SLASH. That is what you use to setup for Crushing darkness. And if they break the CC on low slash, you obviously will not use crushing darkness for the reason you pointed out. However either they break it and congratulations u just forced your opponent to use his cc breaker early in the fight, now the fight is in your hands. OR they let you cast crushing darkness and youve done some nice damage without even using your BIG hitters!! EITHER WAY ITS A WIN WIN SITUATION. If you dont like my strat, dont use it, however you prefer using your burst straight up and then ur left fighting w/o CD's as with my strat, ur already doing good dmg w/o having to use your cd's and only thing you wasted is a low slash which is on a 15 sec cool down, so by the time you get done with ur rotation and need it again its already up.

However like everyone already agrees on your opener is very situational, use what u think is best
Krow | Karasu
Sin/Shadow
Karasu Champion of the Shadows